Alameda CA about to bring smoking & vaping bans to a new level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
My wife lost her marbles on Chantix. Then could not stop taking it!!

Fortunately she's now vaping, though a hair away from relapsing to cigs.

I e-mailed the Alameda council (we live nearby), and got a thank you. Any e-mail will become part of the official record. It really doesn't hurt to write them with vape defenses at

twright@ci.alameda.ca.us

My msg read:

Dear Ms. Wright,

As a California ex-smoker who quit thanks to so-called "electronic cigarettes", I am gratified to see that e-cigs have been removed from the Alameda smoking ordinance. There is nothing in common between smoking and "vaping", from a nuisance and public health standpoint.

As to the (optional) presence of nicotine in e-liquids, I urge you to consider the latest findings, which are leading to trials of nicotine in serious neurological conditions including Alzheimers'. I suspect that by the time prohibition of tobacco products reaches totality, we will realize we have thrown the baby out with the bath.

In any case, thank you for your consideration.

Rgds,

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I just can't help myself, Jim. I worked my way through college at a temp agency called "Le-Gals". My assignments were usually for a week or two, filling in for legal secretaries on vacation. I got to see a wide range of law practices ranging from personal injury (PI) cases to public law (writing the text that goes into municipal and state bonds.) Although criminal law looks the most exciting on TV, none of my assignments were for defenders of felons and misdemeanants.

I'm pretty sure that law offices were the first profession to make use of word processing, because so much of the text is redundant. I used to actually write subpoenas, pleadings, etc., just by taking the "boiler plate" text and filling in the information from the current case.

Another good reason for word processing is that erasures and corrections are not permitted in legal filings. Before WP, there were millions of trees killed by typographical errors.

Trivia Question: Anybody know what MTST stands for in the very early word-processing years?

OMG Yes!!! I worked for an oil company in Houston (Conoco) in the early 70s as a secretary and the MTST was a GODSEND!!! We processed "legal" oil leases and contracts and such, and in my department we only had a couple of MTSTs.....we fought over them! I ALSO remember that only the very BEST typists (secretaries) worked in the contracts department usually....because everything had to be letter perfect or it had to be completely retyped. :) [I could type 88 wpm, error-free, btw....and if anyone even remembers that far back, that was pretty darned fast.]

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
There is no way I could perform at that level today. I too, used to type at > 80 wpm error free. Today, on a reduced level of nicotine and an aging brain, I currently find letter transpositions in my typing. One word that pops up mistyped over and over is one that I type frequently: "nicotine". It keeps coming up about 1 time out of every 3 or 4 as "nicoitne". *argh*

That's why it drives me nuts to see employers announcing that to work for them, people must give up all use of nicotine. Last time I did that (over 20 years ago), my productivity fell to 10% of normal, and required several passes of review and editing. So to become (morally) worthy to be hired, those who are dependent on nicotine must become abstinent and, as a result, destroy the skills that make them valuable employees. Wonderful!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread