An ultra in depth look at the cost of my vaping habit vs cigarette habit over 9 months time

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenebulous

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Central/Jersey Shore, NJ
Drinking a cup of tea this morning I wondered how much money, if any, I saved while vaping over 9 months.

Here's a breakdown of my 290+ day vaping habit:

All prices include all shipping and any expenses incurred.

mods:
Innokin SVD: $47
IPV V2: $81

ACCESORIES:
2x NCR18650PF: $19
Sony VTC5: $10
NiteCore Charger: $16
Battery Case: $1
Silica wick: $4
Cotton Yarn Wick: $5
Cotton Balls : $3
Coils : $19
Glass Replacements (I break stuff): $12
Kanthal: $14
X6 15ml Needle Dropper: $6
Coil Jig: $11
Tons of Drip Tips: $20

ATOMIZERS:
Trident V2: $17
Taifun GT: $23
Vivi: $3
Evod: $6
G2: $5
Kanger Protank 3: $22
X2 Mini Protank 2: $28

JUICE:
MTBAKER:
6/6/13: $52
11/28/13: $77
10/23/13: $30
ECBLENDS:
1/27/14: $51
JOHNSON CREEK:
10/01/13: $30

TOTAL: Cost of a relatively frugal startup vaping habit over 293 days (Oct 7th-July 27th): $612
Cost of my old cigarette habit in NJ over 293 days at 12-15 per day: $1500-$1850
Cost of my old cigarette habit in my current state of Colorado over 293 days at 12-15 per day: $1060-$1310

PURCHASES SOON TO BE MADE:
Plume Veil 1.5 or Magma Clone (maybe both)?: $12-$30
Better vape gear case: $10
Drip Tips: $5
SONY VTC 5: $11

I'm kind of a minimalist and can't see the point in owning tons of stuff when what I have has worked for me for 9 months - One APV, my SVD that gives me a good and consistent vape all day. It's sad that I currently don't own a backup because the +/- buttons have been malfunctioning for awhile, so I've been pretty patient with it, but my upgrade IPV V2 should ship Monday and replace this thing and hopefully that lasts another 9 months - as a matter of fact you could slash about $100 off the above total cost of vaping as I don't yet have the IPV, VTC5, and 28g Kanthal. The cost of vaping that I incur each day should drop as I approach a lesser need for upgrades and am happy with everything I own. I will soon step up my juice standards a bit and especially start looking for vendors who make great lines of flavors using all natural extracts. Vaping has been great and I haven't yet looked back as there is some quality gear available out there.

artt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
michigan
For me my daily cost runs less than a dollar a day using diy juice. When it comes to the initial cost of "hardware" that's a place for me to watch. I have all that I need and try to think new purchases over carefully. When I make purchases in that regard I keep in mind that it's most likely what I "want" and not what I "need".

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
There is a "Vaping on a dollar a day" blog here- you qualify for it! There may be some good support there with like-minded people.

I spent $583 in two years on vaping supplies.
I make my own juice.
I use ego batteries(5)(two are 2 years old and still strong) with 2 protank minis.
I have SAVED $1082 (12-14 cigs a day @ 7.50 a pack or so) after vaping supplies, so a total of $1665 with the supplies.:2c:

I am going to buy 2 of the Innokin itaste vv/vw/3 (I want to see if I can get more flavor out of what I make) (bought through a co-op here)
And upgrade to the protank 3 (1 regular and 1 mini)
10 bdc heads for protank3
and AFC(air flow control) valves (1 regular and 5 minis)

The total I will spend: $119.11
I should be good for 6 months or more with those purchases.

Good luck and keep on vaping!:2cool:

Last edited:

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
I've only saved a couple hundo because I used to smoke rollies @$2.50/day. However, I'm good on juice for about 2 more years (I DIY, and only go through about 2ml of 6mg a day), rebuild, and I just got new batteries even though my old ones are still running strong. Unless I get pulled in by the shiny (Kato box mod), I don't *need* to spend anything for a long, long time.
Still, my lungs are so much happier than they were a year ago, I don't smell like an ashtray, and I'm slowly killing myself.
Good deal. :D

Sin City Diva

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Henderson, NV
I haven't been vaping that long. But I have an app that keeps track of all of that. I'm hoping to break even sometime in the future.

esa3yza3.jpg

Sent from paradise in the desert using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread