• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

...and then it gets weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Sure, occasionally I'll get comments on my vids or channels that are a little unusual. I've had someone reference my "cute face" (to which I mentally responded something involving "prescription check") which was a bit odd, though it was within context, but that's fine. I've had a few trolls blast through from time to time. It's YouTube, frankly I'm surprised there hasn't been more. And then recently someone subbed to my channel whose profile said he was 15 (and the videos he posted seem to bear that out), which is a bit worrisome given the subject matter.

And then there's this.

I will definetly watch your vids. I like your cute little lisp. Actually I like all lisps. Something about the way you guys drag your t's.

I'm not even sure how I should parse that, much less respond to it. I didn't even know I had a lisp. My Ts can be a little sibilant at times, perhaps, is that what they're referring to? (I'm not sure if it's a male or female making that comment.) And that generalization there -- "you guys" -- is that, like, "you males" or an implication that my apparent lisp makes me gay? I couldn't really care less if someone thinks I'm gay -- hell, I've played up that angle when joking around before, so that's nothing new, but it makes it hard to know how to take or respond to a remark like that.

But maybe more to the point, is it weird that I get a kind of creeper vibe off that? It's completely out of context to the video it was posted to, though they do appear to sub to and comment on other E-cig reviewers (contextually appropriate stuff) so it doesn't appear to have come out of the blue. Just seemed kind of ... weird. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. The Interwebz have jaded me...

bidslayer

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I think "you guys" is probably Canadians. I get comments all the time from my American friends when we go a google hangout or skype chat. They always try to get me to say "out and about" and giggle if I say "eh". I swear I don't have an accent - but they all think so. :)

Regardless, it is more than a bit creepy - whether it is from a 15 year old or a 40 year old. I'd suggest just not responding - or a simple "thanks for watching".

PS: I don't think you don't sound "gay" ... even if you have a house full of cats, which is really more of a lesbian thing anyways. :)

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think "you guys" is probably Canadians. I get comments all the time from my American friends when we go a google hangout or skype chat. They always try to get me to say "out and about" and giggle if I say "eh". I swear I don't have an accent - but they all think so. :)

I hadn't considered the "Canadians" angle -- they're from the US (though not a state that has a marked accent that I recall) so maybe that's it. Though lisping isn't exactly the sort of stereotypical speech pattern Canadians are known for, which is generally that we're all east coasters.

Regardless, it is more than a bit creepy - whether it is from a 15 year old or a 40 year old. I'd suggest just not responding - or a simple "thanks for watching".

Just to be clear, it wasn't the 15-year-old that posted that.

PS: I don't think you don't sound "gay" ... even if you have a house full of cats, which is really more of a lesbian thing anyways. :)

lol. Well, we only have the three cats, though the wife keeps wanting to get another. (We used to have 4 'til one passed away a few years back).

bidslayer

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm going to have to back and watch some of your vids to listen to you say "t" now. Could be that the poster isn't using the word "lisp" correctly.

We used to have 5 cats in the house - and a dog. I'm now down to one dog and a cat. I laughed my ... off at your blooper reel with the hairball. Cats have an impeccable sense of timing. :)

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I seriously got really worried that the pm I sent was going to be posted...

lol! Oh hell no, on the scale of drunk dials/posts/E-Mails, yours didn't even rank. Heck, I barely noticed anything amiss apart from a typo or two. Although now I'm wondering if my juices weren't simply best enjoyed while smashed. :D

I'm going to have to back and watch some of your vids to listen to you say "t" now. Could be that the poster isn't using the word "lisp" correctly.

Sort of thinking the same thing. I've always known "lisp" to be that word that people who have one can't say properly.

We used to have 5 cats in the house - and a dog. I'm now down to one dog and a cat. I laughed my ... off at your blooper reel with the hairball. Cats have an impeccable sense of timing. :)

Truth. I've always just assumed that they deliberately wait until I'm engrossed in or busy something before they belt it out because they know it annoys me.

IamAurora

ECF Veteran
Can't stop laughing over this thread! hahahaha. Poor Eric, I would be a little creeped out if I were you. For the record, I have a lisp and it's the s's lispers have a problem with. So, it must be something else about the way you speak that turns your admirer on. lol. I would say it is a male who is commenting, cuz as a woman I wouldn't find a lisp a turnon. I would be a little wary if I were you....;)

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Can't stop laughing over this thread! hahahaha. Poor Eric, I would be a little creeped out if I were you. For the record, I have a lisp and it's the s's lispers have a problem with. So, it must be something else about the way you speak that turns your admirer on. lol. I would say it is a male who is commenting, cuz as a woman I wouldn't find a lisp a turnon. I would be a little wary if I were you....;)

I dunno. Their feed (like/comment/favourite history) is piled high with hair and nail tutorials and tips, so they're either female or tranny. :) (Yes, I went looking, trying to find some hint of what context I should put that comment in, but couldn't find any.) I just get a kind of creepariffic vibe off the comment is all, regardless of whether they tick the male, female or other box. I mean, I know we all have our proclivities, no matter how oddly specific, but there's a time and a place. An awkward one, mind. Plus, I'm terrible at taking normal compliments at the best of times, so...

Cobber

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Kingston Ontario
www.itsjustvapor.com
lol! Oh hell no, on the scale of drunk dials/posts/E-Mails, yours didn't even rank. Heck, I barely noticed anything amiss apart from a typo or two. Although now I'm wondering if my juices weren't simply best enjoyed while smashed.

Yeah... That's it's. I was drunk.

But seriously we have to talk

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
:lol: Yah, I think there are worse things said out there like, "what are you wearing"?

Or....... I'M RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Or "I'd like to ride you like a mini-bike, so I hope you've got gas!" Yes, those would indeed be more disturbing.

It sounds like this person was trying to be funny or testing the waters. Are you going to reply back?

Probably not. The last time I had my waters tested it was shortly after I was asked to turn my head and cough, so it doesn't bring back pleasant memories. My uncle was never allowed back.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Mindfield said:
Probably not. The last time I had my waters tested it was shortly after I was asked to turn my head and cough, so it doesn't bring back pleasant memories. My uncle was never allowed back.

LOL .. Too much information .. you gotta keep that between you and your shrink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread