• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Any Ladies Suffer from Panic Attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I think if I had a cappucino or a Mt. Dew I would have a heart attack! I was somewhat sensitive to caffeine before I had really bad panic attacks, so I couldn't drink more than two small cups of coffee, but if I tried now since I don't drink it at all, I think it would kill me!

I was so frightened of having any more anxiety attacks, that I stayed away from caffeine for years...no cola,no chocolate, no coffee (no Mt Dew).
I still prefer non-caffeine soft drinks (Sprite, etc) over cola, but I do so love my coffee !
Sometimes I wonder if your tolerance for caffeine might also change as you get older, since it doesn't bother me now.

dawgcrazy

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio
It can only be a good thing that you've cut back on the Mt Dew that much....I don't think I could handle more than one a day though. I have a SIL that likes them as much as you do, but she's a very laid-back type. I can't imagine her ever being anxious about anything.
I had to really practice the breathing thing, as I couldn't do it at first. Then I got the hang of it, and it really made a huge difference. I had to actually count slowly 1, 2, 3, 4, while I was doing it. I know and hate that feeling of not being able to get a nice deep breath, though. Maybe your doc would have a better method of teaching proper breathing to you, you should ask.

The only drug I took for my anxiety was Xanax (thank God for whoever invented that drug). Now for my depression, that's another story !

Yes, I've been on the Mt. Dew since high school (over 20 years) so I'm pretty much immune to the caffeine rush, it just keeps me from getting a headache these days. I just love the taste of it! It doesn't "wake me up" or any such thing like it does most people. I can drink one and go straight to sleep...same with coffee or anything else.

I've noticed all this week, it seems to be around 8 pm, and I can't breathe right. So I take a whole Xanax (psych wanted me to cut down to at least 1/2 a one 3 times a day), and within 1/2 hour, I can breathe fine again.

I have an appt with a therapist on the 23rd to see if she can help me find other ways to deal with things...breathing is going to have to be on that list. I told my psych that I needed more than just meds, because even with meds, I'm having panic attacks and episodes. I need behavioral therapy or something....she agreed.

Not sure how long I'll be able to keep up with all these meds though, and the psych and therapist will have to end at the end of the month unfortunately...got my Cobra papers yesterday and it's over $400 a month to keep my insurance on me. I can't do that. I don't even know if I'm going to get unemployment yet. I have to pay it for this month, because I've already had a few doc appts that will be more than that, so it's actually cheaper for me to pay the Cobra this month, but after that...I guess I'm back to my $4 Paxil and Xanax. UGH! Life is really just not fair sometimes.

I'm still not stressing though. (those mood stabilizers work REALLY WELL LOL!) It just pisses me off that when I finally do the right things for myself and my well being, I get shot down. Finally do something that MIGHT work, and now I'll just have to work on tapering OFF the drugs!! Bleh. And then what?? Just wait for more panic attacks? And just deal with them?? Will I ever have a "normal" life again? Can I hold a job now and work thru/past the panic attacks?? I've never had a panic attack before this year and it really messed me up. Maybe the next one won't be so bad?? I don't know... Sorry, just sorta going off on a tangent there I guess. And I agree, thank gawd for Xananx!

dawgcrazy

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio
I think if I had a cappucino or a Mt. Dew I would have a heart attack! I was somewhat sensitive to caffeine before I had really bad panic attacks, so I couldn't drink more than two small cups of coffee, but if I tried now since I don't drink it at all, I think it would kill me!

Yeah, once you get it out of your system, it'll hit you a lot harder. Plus if you are already sensitive to it....probably not a good idea LOL!

I'm so immune to caffeine, I can drink several right up till I go to bed and still sleep thru the night. They say that after you take in so much caffeine, it actually has the opposite affect on you. Instead of "waking you up", it makes you tired.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, once you get it out of your system, it'll hit you a lot harder. Plus if you are already sensitive to it....probably not a good idea LOL!

I'm so immune to caffeine, I can drink several right up till I go to bed and still sleep thru the night. They say that after you take in so much caffeine, it actually has the opposite affect on you. Instead of "waking you up", it makes you tired.

I regularly drink coffee just before bedtime, and surprisingly it doesn't seem to have any effect on me either. It is possible for me to drink too much coffee however; in fact, my tolerance has dropped a little since I quit smoking.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Yes, I've been on the Mt. Dew since high school (over 20 years) so I'm pretty much immune to the caffeine rush, it just keeps me from getting a headache these days. I just love the taste of it! It doesn't "wake me up" or any such thing like it does most people. I can drink one and go straight to sleep...same with coffee or anything else.

I've noticed all this week, it seems to be around 8 pm, and I can't breathe right. So I take a whole Xanax (psych wanted me to cut down to at least 1/2 a one 3 times a day), and within 1/2 hour, I can breathe fine again.

I have an appt with a therapist on the 23rd to see if she can help me find other ways to deal with things...breathing is going to have to be on that list. I told my psych that I needed more than just meds, because even with meds, I'm having panic attacks and episodes. I need behavioral therapy or something....she agreed.

Not sure how long I'll be able to keep up with all these meds though, and the psych and therapist will have to end at the end of the month unfortunately...got my Cobra papers yesterday and it's over $400 a month to keep my insurance on me. I can't do that. I don't even know if I'm going to get unemployment yet. I have to pay it for this month, because I've already had a few doc appts that will be more than that, so it's actually cheaper for me to pay the Cobra this month, but after that...I guess I'm back to my $4 Paxil and Xanax. UGH! Life is really just not fair sometimes.

I'm still not stressing though. (those mood stabilizers work REALLY WELL LOL!) It just pisses me off that when I finally do the right things for myself and my well being, I get shot down. Finally do something that MIGHT work, and now I'll just have to work on tapering OFF the drugs!! Bleh. And then what?? Just wait for more panic attacks? And just deal with them?? Will I ever have a "normal" life again? Can I hold a job now and work thru/past the panic attacks?? I've never had a panic attack before this year and it really messed me up. Maybe the next one won't be so bad?? I don't know... Sorry, just sorta going off on a tangent there I guess. And I agree, thank gawd for Xananx!

I went thru the same thing when I lost my job; I had to hurry and make an appt with my PCP just so I could get weaned off Effexor. It was just too expensive, and there was absolutely no way I could afford COBRA.

I managed thru the panic when I did work, and you can too. The meds make it harder to learn a new job though, I think. At least they did for me. But I did it, and you will too.
We just gotta get you some more 'tools' to use to fight the panic; it's very empowering when you realize that it's possible to lessen the anxiety using your brain power and your breathing. I hope your therapist is able to help you with this.

Firegrl

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.geekgods.net
Ugh...yeah was on lexapro for GAD and it kept most attacks at bay then lost my job and insurance (couldn't afford COBRA). Withdrawal is not a fun thing. However, been 3 years off meds and only maybe 1 attack in that first year and none in the last two.

Glad Lexapro was able to work for you. That was the only antidepressant I took, and will probably never take one again because of it. I knew Lexapro wasn't for me when I found myself wondering if I should go get a knife and see what it was like to stab my beloved dog! I think it's so easy for doctors just to throw drugs at things instead of actually investigating and knowing their patients.

Breathing, and learning how to breathe properly, was such a benefit to me. It's funny to think that we have been breathing since being out of the womb, and we are doing it wrong! It's also nice to be able to tell yourself "it's perfectly ok to be nervous right now". Making yourself realize it's ok to feel these things relieves the stress you feel about being embarrassed or scared of having a panic attack in public.

Katattack

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2010
FL
Glad Lexapro was able to work for you. That was the only antidepressant I took, and will probably never take one again because of it. I knew Lexapro wasn't for me when I found myself wondering if I should go get a knife and see what it was like to stab my beloved dog! I think it's so easy for doctors just to throw drugs at things instead of actually investigating and knowing their patients.

Breathing, and learning how to breathe properly, was such a benefit to me. It's funny to think that we have been breathing since being out of the womb, and we are doing it wrong! It's also nice to be able to tell yourself "it's perfectly ok to be nervous right now". Making yourself realize it's ok to feel these things relieves the stress you feel about being embarrassed or scared of having a panic attack in public.

I sooo agree. I got lucky in that a general practitioner gave me the Rx and it worked for me. These are potentially some heavy mind/personality altering substances. For me it just made my fuse longer (for both getting anxious and angry) but definitely serious thought needs to be given before handing them out like candy since the side effects/reactions can be terrible.

Almost had an attack today after reading more about the whole state bans/FDA/e-cig thing then reading & listening to stuff about politics. I'm still in an agitated state trying to get centered.

sleepy jean

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Jerome, Idaho, USA
bestthingever, you are right on about the breathing and prayer and card's, I have agoraphobia, it's fear of fear, it started when I was in my late 20's (I'm 65 now), back in those day's not to many doctor's knew about panic attack's, and I truely felt I was the only one in the world with this horrible condition until I found some wonderful book's by Dr Clair Weeks, and found out I was'ent alone. I went to psych's, therapist's, thearpy, bio feedback therapy, which is self relaxation therapy, but nothing really took the panic attack's away until a wonderful doctor got me on Ativan, and I am still on it to this day, it's been a God send for me, I'v not had a panic attack in 30 year's and never want to have one again. I truly feel for anyone suffering from awful condition and pray can get the help they need for it.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
bestthingever, you are right on about the breathing and prayer and card's, I have agoraphobia, it's fear of fear, it started when I was in my late 20's (I'm 65 now), back in those day's not to many doctor's knew about panic attack's, and I truely felt I was the only one in the world with this horrible condition until I found some wonderful book's by Dr Clair Weeks, and found out I was'ent alone. I went to psych's, therapist's, thearpy, bio feedback therapy, which is self relaxation therapy, but nothing really took the panic attack's away until a wonderful doctor got me on Ativan, and I am still on it to this day, it's been a God send for me, I'v not had a panic attack in 30 year's and never want to have one again. I truly feel for anyone suffering from awful condition and pray can get the help they need for it.

Sleepyjean, this is exactly how I felt too...I thought I was losing my mind, and would be institutionalized, lol. Mine started when I was 25 (I'm almost 51 now); nowadays, there is much more information available.
Once you have a really bad attack, your biggest fear is having another one, at any second. This just feeds the fear, like you said.
You can help yourself a great deal by learning to redirect your thoughts, and controlling your breathing at a normal rhythm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread