Status
Not open for further replies.

316lvm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
southern minnesota
Was wondering if this happened to anyone else. I used to drink 2 pots of coffee a day - even right up to bedtime.

Since vaping 5 months now, I have maybe 1 or 1 1/2 cups of coffee. Have no desire for it. Same with soda.

What I have noticed, is that I am drinking more iced tea and water. I can't recall drinking this much water and tea in my life LOL!!

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
My caffeine consumption has gone down. I didn't notice it at first, but I'm drinking less coffee in the morning. I drink tea during the day, and have been drinking fruit flavored decaf tea instead of black tea. I used to get late afternoon headaches from caffeine withdrawal if i didn't drink something with caffeine, but that doesn't happen any more. hmm. My alcohol tolerance is down too.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Smoking induces the activity of a liver enzyme called CYP1A2. It seems mostly to be due to certain carcinogens (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) in tobacco smoke, but possibly also nicotine.

CYP1A2 metabolizes caffeine.

So, more smoking --> speeds up metabolism of caffeine --> you feel coffee less strongly (blood levels go down more quickly)

Smoking cessation --> metabolism of caffeine returns to normal (slows down from what it used to be) --> you feel coffee more strongly.

I've heard more than a few anecdotes from people who have to cut their caffeine intake after quitting smoking.
(Other drugs that are metabolized by 1A2 usually have to be adjusted too.)

There are individual variations in liver enzyme activity, so it's going to be more noticeable to some people than to others.

If your nic intake is the same as it was before or greater, you may or may not notice this effect (it's possible that nicotine has some effect in and of itself on CYP1A2 metabolism).

There may be other mechanisms at work but this is one major and well-studied phenomenon.

The sciencey stuff behind this:
Drug interactions with tobacco smoking: An update.
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in tobacco smoke are believed to be responsible for the induction o
f cytochrome P450 (CYP) 1A1, CYP1A2 and possibly CYP2E1. [...] CYP1A2 is a hepatic enzyme responsible for the metabolism of a number of drugs and activation of some procarcinogens. Caffeine demethylation, using blood clearance or urine metabolite data, has been used as an in vivo marker of CYP1A2 activity, clearly demonstrating an effect of cigarette smoking, CYP2E1 metabolises a number of drugs as well as activating some carcinogens. [...] In animal studies, nicotine induces the activity of several enzymes, including CYP2E1, CYP2A1/2A2 and CYP2B1/2B2, in the brain, but whether this effect is clinically significant is unknown. Similarly, although inhibitory effects of the smoke constituents carbon monoxide and cadmium on CYP enzymes have been observed in vitro and in animal studies, the relevance of this inhibition to humans has not yet been established. The mechanism involved in most interactions between cigarette smoking and drugs involves the induction of metabolism. Drugs for which induced metabolism because of cigarette smoking may have clinical consequence include theophylline, caffeine, tacrine, imipramine, haloperidol, pentazocine, propranolol, flecainide and estradiol. [...]

Then this study in rats also shows an induction of CYP1A2 by nicotine alone. It's a bit controversial still whether nicotine has a particularly huge effect in itself.

You can also see tables of CYP1A2 activity in the Wack-e-peed-e-huh page. Tobacco is listed as a "potent" inducer.

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
12 cups or more a day. Every day. For years.

Vaping didn't dampen that coffee intake at all. Shoot, given the price of coffee I almost wish it would!

Sense of taste improves after stopping smoking so if the coffee doesn't taste as good now, mebbe wash the coffee pot? :D

I'm with you OTD. Pots of the stuff every day. No more, no less.

tristessa363

May 18, 2010
Houston, TX
Weird! My coffee intake has also decreased, but I didn't associate it with vaping at all. I quit smoking about 4 months ago. I drank at least 2 cups a day (not much, I know, but those 2 cups were absolutely necessary). About a month ago I went 2 solid weeks without any coffee at all (not on purpose - I just didn't feel like it). I still love it, but it's become an every now and then kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread