"Atomizer Short", fluctuating Ohms on my eVic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Hey guys, I've been having some problems with my eVic lately. I've had it since last summer (almost a year), and it's starting to have problems connecting with all my tanks and devices.

I usually screw my tanks all the way down. I know many recommend against this, but I always seemed to get the best connection when screwing it all the way in.

Lately, all of a sudden I'm getting a resistance reading of less than 1.0ohm when I screw down any device. Most of my devices are around 2.0ohms, (usually protanks than I've rebuilt). When I try to fire, I get an "Atomizer Short" message and it won't fire. Than I notice that the resistance will change to 0.6ohm, 0.4, 0.0, or something similar.
.... The first time this happened a week ago, I fiddled with my evic and tank, and tried to pry the 510-pin up a bit, until I got it to give me a stable resistance-reading and the problem went away. Last night, it took me hours to get my eVic to even fire. And by the way, this is different than the "No Atomizer Found" evic message.

I have to slowly screw my tank in until I feel the slightest connection, than if I'm lucky, my eVic will give me a resistance reading that I can fire on. But the resistance is still saying something different every time I screw on my tank!! This time, even after prying the pin on my eVic up a bit, I can't get this problem to go away.
:(
I noticed if I use a tank with ego-threading, I get a more stable resistance. So did I strip the 510-threading on the inside of my eVic? Or is my eVic's pin pushed in? Or I've read that this can be a problem with the o-ring around the connection pin on the control head..

I hope I don't have to get a new control head, this is worrying me. Thanks in advance!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
If you insist on screwing things fulling in place - just to make it look nice - you risk driving the center in down so far that you are creating a short. That would be what happened here if the eVic is now showing a short condition even with nothing attached.

If you are lucky you can just pull the center pin back up to correct it. Slant edge tweezers with really sharp edges works well for this. If you are unlucky you have driven the center pin down so far it's actually out of place and now below the o-ring itself.

Look down at the 510 connector platform on the eVic. If you have the updated version there will be two screws on either side of the 510 connector you can remove to get access to the head assembly.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I don't own an Evic, but I'm guessing they use the same crappy rubber insulator as my Vamo and my Zmax. I had to do the "o-ring fix" on both of those because I had the same problem you're having now.

Just go to YouTube and look up "o-ring fix vamo". The technique is the same.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Or I've read that this can be a problem with the o-ring around the connection pin on the control head..

Yes. Likely you have also deflected the wire that connects to the center pin and it is contacting the outer(ground)housing.
You might be able to over extend the pin to bend the wire back away, and let an atomizer reset the pin.

If you get it working again - Be Smart - Listen to what people that know have said.......... Use a Tank support to keep the tank tight WTHOUT crushing the pin down. It Really works.:)

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Well I've since replaced me eVic with my first mech-mod, the CRONUS clone. I like it a lot - I rebuild my protank coils and am starting to get in to dripping so I had to get one. I'd really like to get my eVic working again though!!

Just to clarify, when there is nothing attatched to my eVic, I get the "No Atomizer Found" message when I try to fire. I only see "Atomizer Short" when I try to attach anything; (and now I'm slowly screwing my tanks in until i feel a connection/slight resistance). My center-pin is pretty much in the correct place, but my O-Ring has stretched and deformed so it won't hold the pin there when i screw a tank in.

I also have the updated head with the 2-screws, but haven't tried opening it up yet. I'm pretty sure that a new O-Ring would solve my problem, but it seems pretty tricky to do without messing up the center-pin or breaking/messing-up the wire that connects it.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Also I wanted to add, I've been having this issue for the past couple weeks with my eVic.. At first, I could use tweezers or a needle to push the O-ring into place and raise the pin a bit, than after I did that, if I carefully screwed onto my tank until I felt the slightest connection, I could usually get a resistance reading and get it to fire.

But the last time I tried this a few days ago, I noticed the O-ring was stretched, and I couldn't get it to grasp around the center-pin tightly like I could before. So there's nothing to hold the pin up. So when I screw a tank on, the pin probably drops a bit and loses connection.
.... But the pin itself doesn't look like it's out of place, it just has no support. I'm really not sure if there's any problems with the wire connecting to the pin, but I'd assume not. I could open up the control head to check, but I'm afraid to mess it up more, especially if I don't need to.

Luckily, with this new CRONUS mechanical mod I just got, I don't have to worry about the pin getting pushed in or making a bad connection. To screw on my tank, I unscrew the top tube which lowers the pin, than screw on my tank, than screw the top tube down until the pin raises and makes a connection with my device. Love it!!
Need my eVic though! Thanks guys for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread