Best way to measure small amounts of liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeCS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
United States
So, just started trying to make my own juice with a friend. We originally got a bunch of pipettes and were going to try the drops method... We quickly learned that drops of PG, VG, and flavoring aren't equal, and so instead of trying to figure that out, we purchased some small syringes... Seemed to work a lot better, but now I just got a ton of new flavoring in from ecigexpress, and it's all in plastic dropper bottles, and I'm not sure if my 1ml syringes will fit as all the bottles are in dropper tops, not like the previous batch of flavoring we got from TPA which was glass with an open top...

How does everybody else measure their flavoring, I see a lot of people talk about drops, and other's talk in %'s and just wondering how everybody else seems to do it. If you do use drops, how many drops of flavoring out of a dropper bottle equals 1 ML? (Bottles are similar to a regular ejuice bottle for an idea of drop size)

Just wondering what the best option would be, as I'd prefer to not have to go out and purchase some new glass bottles if I don't have to, but if that's what needs to be done, then I guess i'll do it... vaping is starting to get to be an expensive hobby, so trying to hold off on any new purchases for a while...

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Using TPA flavoring the best approach is %'s unless you plan on just making small batches, the amount of drops quickly adds up when you are using a flavoring at 15% or 20%. The number of drops per ml will vary from flavor to flavor so using a universal number is not very accurate. I typically do a 3ml or 5ml test batch on a flavor that's new to me and will use drops. once I get the flavor dialed in and I decide to make a larger quantity, I will convert drops to ml's for that flavor and use %'s on the larger batches.

Using the super concentrated flavors at about 2.5%, the drop method works out well because the number of drops is still reasonable even if you're making 30ml.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
I always use a syringe... First thing I do when I get a new bottle of flavor is take the dropper top off and toss it. For really small amounts a .5ml syringe is handy. I haven't noticed them with any of the DIY vendors, but I was able to get some from a local veterinarian.

Um... Im sure Ill prolly come off sounding like a jackass for saying this but... um... take the dropper top off. It should snap right off the top pretty easy. Then youll have no problem with getting a syringe in there ;)

Last edited:

tsunami987

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
Metro East STL
I use medicine syringes as well. Got a bunch of .02ml increment 1ml syringes sans needle from cvs for free. Small enough to fit the smallest bottle holes. I would recommend a graduated cylinder to test the accuracy, mine are nearly .05ml off. I don't care much, but with small batches its good to know.

HawkeyeCS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
United States
Um... Im sure Ill prolly come off sounding like a jackass for saying this but... um... take the dropper top off. It should snap right off the top pretty easy. Then youll have no problem with getting a syringe in there ;)

Nah, that's what we ended up doing, but some of those tops are the child proof ones, which have some play so was worried about leaking and what not. While they can get a lot of liquid in them, they don't leak, but if you accidentally flip it over and open the top right away you'll lose some juice. Just figured i'd ask to see if there was a better way...

Astatine

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2011
USA
I use the drop method for the juices a use a lot. The drawback is that you have to use the same equipment and the same supplier. Once you know how many drops of PV and VG you have in one mL for a given dropper and a given supplier, it is a lot quicker and practical for small amounts.

If I change the dropper or the supplier, I use the volume method with a syringe. It is far more reliable.

cricque

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was just planning on getting rid of the bottles from the suppliers and replacing them with all glass bottles
Which means, each new flavor I would put in the same bottle and use the same droppers etc
The only downside I see to this method is what if something is a bit too thick, like VG

I tried drops, syringes etc. It works out fine no matter what you use. But if I use all the same droppers etc, it should be alot easier. For bigger batches, counting 400 drops I would not even start and use syringes. But for small quantities and testing drops is very easy to cover. Also my pre mixed base is 70/30 15mg and I don't care that much if I drop down to 10 or 9mg in nicotine of the final thing as long as it's below 11 and not too much below it's fine for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread