Best way to sample e liquids at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spk99

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
The B-Lo
I'm thinking about buying some cheap (and hopefully decent) clearos, for the purpose of sampling. I have an Vamo V5, an Aero and a nautilus (on the way) but don't want to keep running them dry or cleaning them to try new liquids. I'm new to this so I'm trying several different liquids. I'm thinking this clearo idea might be a good way.

Any suggestions on which ones to buy? Or is there another way that makes more sense? I realize you don't get the best taste from cheaper toppers.

I was looking at ce5's.

Last edited:

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
A regular (non-rebuildable) 510 dripping atomizer will do the trick. There is no messing around with wicks or coils, simply screw it on your battery, drip a few drops and vape.
There is also no batting like in a carto so there is nothing to soak up flavors. This means when you are ready to try a different flavor, you just blow the atty out (literally unscrew it and blow through the 510 connection into a tissue) drip your new flavor and go again.

Flavor and vapor are similar to a RDA.

You can get most 510 dripping atomizers for around $4. Some are more expensive, but I recommend getting a cheap one to mess around with, then when you feel comfortable with it, splash out on a 'premium' atty like an HH357 if you feel the need.

One word of warning though, after dripping, clearos will most likely never taste the same again.

510 Smok Tech 2.0ohm Atomizer is one I have seen recommended a lot on the forums, but I personally prefer the KP Long Barrel Sealed Atomizer - Kidney Puncher

Last edited:

spk99

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
The B-Lo
I say get a little dripper like the octopus and then build a micro coil in it with cotton. Put some juice on it, vape and test, then change the cotton, add liquid, try a new juice. Basically change cotton after each and cotton us cheap.

RDA Octopus by SMOKtech Rebuildable Dripper 1.7ohm - PURPLE [gv-SMOKtechRDAOctopus-PURPLE] - $8.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Thanks. I'll have to do a little more research on that. I just took a look at you tube and making a micro coil seems a little ahead of my "vape stage", so to speak. I do like this dripping idea though...

MikeMills

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
SoCal OC
Originally Posted by Sthur View Post
I say get a little dripper like the octopus and then build a micro coil in it with cotton. Put some juice on it, vape and test, then change the cotton, add liquid, try a new juice. Basically change cotton after each and cotton us cheap.

RDA Octopus by SMOKtech Rebuildable Dripper 1.7ohm - PURPLE [gv-SMOKtechRDAOctopus-PURPLE] - $8.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

I think that's how I'm gonna go for home vaping.

It's pretty confusing trying to understand the gear and lingo when you first get started with these gizmos.

Last edited:

spk99

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
The B-Lo
A regular (non-rebuildable) 510 dripping atomizer will do the trick. There is no messing around with wicks or coils, simply screw it on your battery, drip a few drops and vape.
There is also no batting like in a carto so there is nothing to soak up flavors. This means when you are ready to try a different flavor, you just blow the atty out (literally unscrew it and blow through the 510 connection into a tissue) drip your new flavor and go again.

Flavor and vapor are similar to a RDA.

You can get most 510 dripping atomizers for around $4. Some are more expensive, but I recommend getting a cheap one to mess around with, then when you feel comfortable with it, splash out on a 'premium' atty like an HH357 if you feel the need.

One word of warning though, after dripping, clearos will most likely never taste the same again.

510 Smok Tech 2.0ohm Atomizer is one I have seen recommended a lot on the forums, but I personally prefer the KP Long Barrel Sealed Atomizer - Kidney Puncher

Thanks! I just bought the KP Long Barrel Sealed Atomizer @ Kidney Puncher. I did some research, I know I don't want to rebuild.build yet, so this seemed perfect. Lots of rave reviews. Cant wait to drip!

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
A couple of months ago I recommended a 510 atty for tasting flavors - because that's what I thought was the best.

I've since changed my mind.

I've got two reasons for suggesting an inexpensive RDA. One, eventually most 510 attys will fail. Two, flavor carryover from strong tasting e-liquids can be a problem to get rid of - like some clove/mint/menthol e-liquids I've tried.

It's not the latest and greatest, but something like an Igo-L, plus ten dollar's worth of Kanthal and a bag of organic cotton balls is enough to last a few years.

Yes, there's a learning curve, and for some it's more work to start than they want to do to taste a few flavors, but once you get the hang of it, it's a matter of a few minutes to pull the old wick, rinse and dry-burn the coil, and re-insert a new tuft of cotton.

Plus it helps establish a foundation for future projects should vaping turn into a hobby.

spk99

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
The B-Lo
A couple of months ago I recommended a 510 atty for tasting flavors - because that's what I thought was the best.

I've since changed my mind.

I've got two reasons for suggesting an inexpensive RDA. One, eventually most 510 attys will fail. Two, flavor carryover from strong tasting e-liquids can be a problem to get rid of - like some clove/mint/menthol e-liquids I've tried.

It's not the latest and greatest, but something like an Igo-L, plus ten dollar's worth of Kanthal and a bag of organic cotton balls is enough to last a few years.

Yes, there's a learning curve, and for some it's more work to start than they want to do to taste a few flavors, but once you get the hang of it, it's a matter of a few minutes to pull the old wick, rinse and dry-burn the coil, and re-insert a new tuft of cotton.

Plus it helps establish a foundation for future projects should vaping turn into a hobby.

Well put. Perhaps this will be my next move. I think I need to stop spending for a little bit. Im not looking forward my CC bill this month! :unsure:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Thanks! I just bought the KP Long Barrel Sealed Atomizer @ Kidney Puncher. I did some research, I know I don't want to rebuild.build yet, so this seemed perfect. Lots of rave reviews. Cant wait to drip!

Awesome, hope it works out as well for you as it did for me. They are an excellent atomizer in my experience.

Yes the next step is to get a rebuildable, and as mentioned, the Igo-L can be had for around $10. It's a great RDA, has a large enough deck to be easy to work on and a large drip cup in the bottom to catch over drips. It was my first RDA and it's one I go back to frequently as it's just so easy to get a great set up on.

One of our forum regulars, Ocelot, has a rather excellent blog all about dripping which can be found http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/the-ocelot/4005-drip-drip-drip-sound-dripping.html here. (Thanks Ocey)

Finally there is a 164 page behemoth of a thread all about dripping, dripping atomizers and such http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/atomizers-cartridges/405910-regular-atty-drippers-dying-breed.html

Good luck with it spk99, and if you are having any issues, just post here and I am sure someone will be able to help.

cracoucax

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
france
Like others have said the most practical by far would be an RDA / microcoil / cotton setup. But it does have a steep learning curve.
The second best option would probably be some dripping atties like cisco specs.

In any case what you seem to be looking for is dripping. IE put 10 drop on the coil / wick, vape that and put 10 drops of another juice if you want on top of it. Unless the juices are totally different the second flavor won't be affected by the first after a few drags.

In the case of a RDA you can just change the cotton wick if the flavors merge badly or you need to dry burn instead of having to change the whole atty or the head like on a Protank. Takes seconds if you have a microcoil, the coil itself can be used several months most of the time.

spk99

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
The B-Lo
Awesome, hope it works out as well for you as it did for me. They are an excellent atomizer in my experience.

Yes the next step is to get a rebuildable, and as mentioned, the Igo-L can be had for around $10. It's a great RDA, has a large enough deck to be easy to work on and a large drip cup in the bottom to catch over drips. It was my first RDA and it's one I go back to frequently as it's just so easy to get a great set up on.

One of our forum regulars, Ocelot, has a rather excellent blog all about dripping which can be found http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/the-ocelot/4005-drip-drip-drip-sound-dripping.html here. (Thanks Ocey)

Finally there is a 164 page behemoth of a thread all about dripping, dripping atomizers and such http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/atomizers-cartridges/405910-regular-atty-drippers-dying-breed.html

Good luck with it spk99, and if you are having any issues, just post here and I am sure someone will be able to help.

It arrived today (3 actually). I'm really enjoying the drip experience. I did destroy one in about 2 minutes though. Or it was bunk and only hit a few times.

Thanks for the advice and links!

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I'm thinking about buying some cheap (and hopefully decent) clearos, for the purpose of sampling. I have an Vamo V5, an Aero and a Nautilus (on the way) but don't want to keep running them dry or cleaning them to try new liquids. I'm new to this so I'm trying several different liquids. I'm thinking this clearo idea might be a good way.

Any suggestions on which ones to buy? Or is there another way that makes more sense? I realize you don't get the best taste from cheaper toppers.

I was looking at ce5's.

Drip drip drip. The easy way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread