Not open for further replies.

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
My suggestion is to get cartomizers rather than cartridges. They perform better and yes...

"They perform better" is highly subjective. Performance of a cartomizer depends on the manufacturer, the resistance, coil design, capacity, and the juice used. No single combination is the best for everyone. I use whatever seems to work best with each juice I try. have some atties I always turn to for tobacco vapes as well as various cartomizers that are great on the go. And just to clarify: cart is just the little (often pre-filled) mouthpiece placed on top of (or slipped over) an atomizer and cartomizer [carto] is the "all in one unit" that doesn't require a separate atomizer. Even if you end up preferring cartos 99% of the time, having at least one attomizer around is nice for taste testing. Atties can also be used without carts (replace with a drip tip or just remove the filler from one cart) by just dripping a couple drops into the atomizer.

what would be a better kind of juice, with vg or pg?

PG/VG - you can pretty much any ratio of PG/VG juice from 100% PG to 100% VG. Again, everyone has a preference and a very common ratio is 80/20 or 70/30 PG to VG. Some are sensitive to PG although that is rare. PG is thinner and high-PG ratio juices are therefore generally easier work with in carto's (>~50%VG is so thick in some cases you just can't use it in a carto). Still - it varies by juice. I've had a 70/30 VG blend that was not usable in one carto, but was fine in another type. I've also had a PG juice that was so thin, I couldn't use it in some atomizers because it was just too damn leaky. VG tends to produce thicker vapor and a more "full" sensation in the lungs, but PG tends to let more flavor and throat hit through. These are just generalizations though - there are throat-hit boosting additives as well as a few VG thinners.

As I'm sure you are catching on to, there's lots to experiment with, and the best advice I can give is to do exactly that. Yes, getting sound advice is imperative at the outset, but at the end of the day vaping is a personal experience. What you like may end up being very different from what someone else tells you is the perfect vape.

Any simple mod with a 510 connector, or an eGo (or similar e.g. e-Power or Riva) are great alternatives to start with. I wouldn't get too hung up on voltages per-se (e.g. 3.6/3.7v batteries usually charge to 4.2v and I believe the eGo is regulated to 3.4v with an actual battery voltage that is higher). With a 510 connector, you can select from a rather large assortment of atties (including one of my favorites, the 306) and cartos. Given the larger capacity batteries, you also open up a greater range of usable resistances (lower resistance = higher current = hotter/stronger vape given the same voltage). Nearly all mods and eGo's do well with anything >=2.0ohm (I'd look around on that number for a specific device you select - some people use the 1.5ohm dual-coils fine, and for others something that low just refuses to run on an eGo). The 510 connector can also be attached via an adapter (in most cases - some devices have physical limitations) to connect to even more atomizer styles for a couple dollars. A Riva can pretty easily be found for under $40+S/H ("Lite" Riva 510 @ LibertyFlights is just $30).

Best of luck and enjoy!

darkhawk151

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
thanks a lot wolcen. what would be best to get a good buzz? this blu i have isnt doing it for me and it seems like the ego is a really good all rounder. i dont want to get the ego and be disappointed i dont get a good buzz. i can get more of a cigarette than this blu and that sucks. should i get a cartomizer and fill it with juice? that seems like it will work better because to me it seems that if the juice is exposed to the atomizer it will vape better and i will get more. does getting more vape mean getting more of a buzz? i dont really care about throat hit though i have become accustomed to it with cigarettes. as long as i get a good buzz i dont care. itd be cool to be able to get so much of a buzz that its like an overdose. not like i want to overdose i just like the ability to get a great buzz. what would be good to start out with? i was thinking of getting a starter kit with the ego and getting the bigger battery with some cartos and some 24 mg juice with it. how does that sound? do you have any advice for me?

darkhawk151

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
and i read you said its good to have an atomizer around even if i use a carto. how does that work? if i have a carto in and no cartidges can i put the atomizer in and get more flavor or how does that work? all this is like a new language and im tryin to pick up as fast as i can. i like the interchangability of all this, its way more than this blu which is pretty much just a e cig and nothing more.

Zombitedesade

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2011
Plymouth, uk
someone said the ego won't effect my buzz like these blu's. is that right? if so i would be very disapointed. something should be better than these i know it

Not sure what you mean by this, nicotine buzz? Cause if so, that's absolute rubbish. Blu cig carts only go upto 18mg anyway and are notoriously airy on the draw. Whilst some of their flavours are good, they really are not powerful enough to give you the throat hit or nic buzz you crave without putting in your own juice first. An ego will give plenty of buzz, get a dual coil 510 cartomizer or a CE2 XL fill up with a nice strong 18-24mg juice of your choice, out a freshly charged ego battery on and vape away. It'll beat your BLU in every single way that matters: TH, vapour, battery life and general performance.

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
I actually went to the blu site to try to find just that - how much nic there was. I only noticed "full flavor" and all the senseless analog gibberish (sensible for marketing to newbs I guess but frustrating to an established vaper).

+1 Zombitedesade - the two key incredients to that formula are a strong juice, and atomizing that juice as effectively as possible. 24mg definitely sounds like your number (while 36mg is available a number of places it is intended for diluting). The dual-coils are also a great recommendation. They are easy to use and they put out a serious volume of thick, juicy, cool vapor you can vape pretty continuously. That's going to really push nic into your system about as well as I know is possible.

Re: eGo's in general and their flexibility with other products, I frequently see written in product descriptions that they are for "2.0ohm and up" atties/cartos. That said, I've certainly seen a number of posts people that use them with dual coils just fine (DCs run ~1.5ohm). The lineup of "eGo" products has also grown since the introduction of the original basic 510 eGo [to which I have been referring], and I'm not too familiar with all the variations (mega dual coil, tank, etc) so I'm going to let someone else address any other questions you might have about this product.

Note that there is a third element to getting that nic buzz: how you USE the device. Using it like a cigarette and giving a harder pull is not really going to get you a solid hit. Watch some of the reviews on Youtube and you'll see how the slower longer drag really helps.

Lastly, regarding the whole cart/carto/atty thing. It's an either or deal. You can use an atty with a cart (or drip tip) on it OR you remove that and screw on a loaded up carto. I suggest having the atty for two reasons: you don't have to fill up an attie with 1-2ml or more of juice to try it out - a few drops does the trick, plus you may just find you like them.

Whatever you do, it's not very hard to do considerably better than what BLU provides.

darkhawk151

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
well since i have got the blu i have still smoked analogs. it gives me more of a buzz. i dont like the airy draw. i was actually using both vapes last night to get more of a feeling haha.

yea zombitedesade someone said that on another forum im not sure what he meant. he kinda took it back though and just said to get a stronger nicotine. it seems like i want these dual coils when i get it. im just trying to find them and stuff. im trying to figure out what all im going to get before i do it. im thinking the ego starter with the bigger battery that comes with the cartos, and i want the dual coil but i dont know where its at on liberty flights

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
I have not personally ordered from Liberty Flights, but I have seen a number of people recommend purchasing starter kits from there. They do carry the dual coils - they are made by Smok Tech Electronic Cigarette - Cartomizers - Smok Tech Cartomizers If you do order from there, don't forget to click the 20% discount on their site (top left of their page).

One place I have purchased the identical product is from is Joogler Juice where they were less expensive and came with a free 5ml of juice. Unfortunately they appear to be out of stock, but just shoot NCVaper a message or post on his free samples thread and I'm sure he'll let you know what's up.

Another place to consider is MadVapes - they share two qualities with Joogler Juice: extremely fast shipping and great prices (they also have good customer service which is a little different from J.J. where you'll find truly unsurpassed customer service...bet you can't you tell I'm a fan :p).

I really think you'll be happy with the dual coils.

darkhawk151

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
damn thanks for that 20% thing! i didnt even see that at all. i went on jj and didnt see them selling the starter kit, but i guess thats what you mean by them being sold out. i checked out madvapes and i saw this MadVapes 510 Ego Kit with Carrying Case that looks pretty good. i thought it came with those cartos but they were the attys. still seems good with the carrying case and all. oh wait. i just found the one with dual coil cartos. haha looks good! what do you think? though it seems some people on that site have had problems with the shipments and stuff. and those dual coil are ego mega's or something. do you know if those are about as good as the ones you showed me? and it says on there that less than 2.0 ohm cartos shouldnt be used with the battery. i remember you saying something about it that it will work still, but what is bad about it? and whats the difference between all the ohms? and it seems like that kit only comes with this usb charger and that doesn't plug into a wall or something. do you know what kind of charger i would need to plug into the wall? and i saw that these batteries have a button on it or something, is that on all of the ego's? cuz the one from madvapes.com doesnt say that. and is that like the on off button? haha sorry thats a lot of questions :p :D

Last edited:

stringchopper

Aug 1, 2011
Indiana
Hi darkhawk,

I'm relatively new to this - into my 4th week of vaping. Like you, I started with the Blu's. They suck! I quickly returned them and bought an Ego-T, which works great for me. Although it wasn't really my intention to quit the "analog" Camel Lights, I haven't had one since the day my Ego-T arrived.

The only problem I have with the Ego-T is that the juice leaks from the mouth piece sometimes. The mouthpiece cover keeps it concealed, so I don't get it in my mouth, so it's not a huge issue. It's somewhat well-known here on the forums that you can't fill an Ego-T cartridge 100% - you have to fill it to about 90% or less, and this does really help with the leaking.

I recently bought a Innokin Lea and so far it hasn't leaked at all. The LEA is relatively new from Innokin, and I think they have another product called a LEO (with an O instead of A), but I don't know anything about it. But they advertise the LEA is a drip-free tank. I also like the fact that the battery button changes color to let me know when I need to charge.

Also, it will take a bit of time and few extra bucks to find the right e-juice. I recommend you buy sampler sizes and try different nicotine levels. I just got some ejuice from Halo (halocigs) and now I feel like I found the right ejuice for me ... or, ejuiceS - I can't decide if I like the Prime 15 or the Tribeca better... the Prime 15 tastes really good with my coffee in the morning and the Tribeca is really good vape too. Some people compare the Tribeca with RY4, but in my limited experience, the RY4's can vary a lot in flavor. The RY4 I got from Janty tastes like cotton candy or bubble gum, and that is just not for me. Halo's Tribeca is totally different and tastes like a good cigarette to me, with a hint of a light, sweet note on the exhale.

After your initial purchase(s) for hardware and sample bottles, you should save A LOT of money.

As a 3/4 to a full pack a day smoker (Camel Lights), I find that I use about 1 ml per day of e-juice in my Ego-T, and that just happens to be the size of one cartridge, filled to about 85% or 90% full. Everyone's mileage will vary, and I'm sure the equipment makes a difference too. I read some of these posts and see video reviews on youtube where people seem to brag about how much they vape, indicating 4 ml per day.... I think I'd die at that amount! :) If your smoking habits are like mine, you might figure on 1 ml per day when estimating your usage and costs.

tdenton1138

Nov 11, 2010
Tucson, AZ
As someone who started researching e-cigs last November and being the kind of guy who builds and overclocks my own computers, I was very surprised and overwhelmed by the choices and jargon I was presented with. My advice: Be patient. Read. Ask questions. Experiment.

I've settled in on an Ego-T battery (1000 mah) and dripping 510 atomizers (attys), though I have found my self gravitating back to BOGE standard resistance cartomizers... they produce a much fuller hit. I have 2 batteries that I rotate (plus emergency spares just in case in my car and around the house).

Being a local (to me ;) ) company, I am now hooked on FreedomSmokeUSA. Their juice is as good as if not better than anything I've tried and its fully customizable. You call it: 100/0 - 0/100, any nic level, 1x - ?x flavor plus over 300 flavors in the store to sample. For something different, try the Wyatt Earp - its kinda licorice, but not. Personally, I love their Coconut.

I've made my mistakes in what I buy (bought too much Nutella), but in the long run, there's no doubt that you will save money big time no matter what you do which is a nice bonus to getting off analogs.

darkhawk151

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
thanks guys, i like the juice advice. and it seems like everyone gets the ego. so it seems like that will be my choice. soon i will be sending back the blu's. besides the lack of a buzz from them i have been having problems. one pack of carts is almost faulty. some dont hit right and others cause it to shut off as if i hit it too much. thats another thing that sucks. if you take more than 6 drags in a minute or so it shuts off. like what the hell. i have to take atleast 3 to get good vapor. how much different is the ego-t to the standard ego?

Last edited:

stringchopper

Aug 1, 2011
Indiana
how much different is the ego-t to the standard ego?

I bought the ego-t, which comes with a refillable, empty tank. I say "tank" so as not to confuse with "cartridge". The tank has a little cap (lid) that you pop off, fill with juice, replace lid and snap the tank into the atomizer. The atty has sharp protrusion that pierces the tank, allowing the juice to drip onto the atomizer. As a newbie I can't say for sure, but I think the idea with the tank system is to make it like "dripping", but with less hassle.

I don't know about the ego (regular)... I've never had one. My impression from seeing them on the websites is that they have a cartomizer (cartridge with polyfill fibers combined with an atomizer), but I could be wrong. So, right or wrong, the polyfill fibers turned me off to the unit.... it looked too complicated to me.

If I were buying today, knowing what I know now, I'd still buy a tank system, but I would have started with the Innokin LEA. Either way though, the ego-t's are nice too.

If you get an Innokin LEA or ego-t, you might also get a relatively cheap 510 style atomizer and a cheap drip tip, so you can experiment with dripping if you want.

EDIT: Even if you get a regular Ego, you can still get a 510 atty to drip with. The batteries on the Ego, Ego-T, and the Innokin LEA are all 510 style batteries.

Last edited:

stringchopper

Aug 1, 2011
Indiana
did you mean the ego-t (tank)? :)

Pro's:
1) The lea has a rubber or silicone cap that is punctured by the atty. The ego-t has a plastic cap. The lea's cartridge cap keeps it from leaking.
2) The lea has nice pen-style cap that fits over the cartridge too - with the ego-t, I have to fumble around with the mouth-piece cover when putting it in or pulling out of my pocket.
3) The battery on the lea has a nice feature that warns you when it's almost time to recharge.

Con's:
1) the first lea units to hit the market have a battery flaw, which isn't a game-stopper, but is something to be aware of. Basically, the lea has a pass-through charger, which means you can vape at the same time as you charge. And if you charge the unit with the atty attached (I never do this on the lea or the ego-t), and the battery becomes fully charged, and you leave the unit attached to the charger after it's fully charged, and you press the power button several times in rapid succession, then the battery will stay on until you unplug the charger. To me, this is not a big deal, but maybe it is to others. I never charge with the atty attached, and if my battery is fully charged, I separate the charger before I vape.
2) The tank is smaller. 0.8ml for the lea versus 1.2ml for the ego-t. Even if you only fill up the ego-t cartridge 85% to prevent leaking, that still gives you just over one whole ml of juice.
3) IMO, the taste of the juice is somewhat diminished with the lea. The ego-t seems to give me more taste, vapor, and throat hit. (Both units have 3.7v batteries). For example, with my ego-t and the prime 15 from halo, I can taste a slight "coconut" flavor on the exhale, but I hardly notice that with the lea. I've used my ego-t atty for almost 4 weeks, but I've only used the lea atty for about 3 days - some people on this forum talk about "breaking in an atty", and think it performs better after a longer period of use, so I'm not clear on this point yet - perhaps in a week or two, the lea atty will perform just as well.

I was thinking about my earlier lea recommendation this morning, and comparing the two units, after I saw your follow-up post. After comparing carefully, I can say I really like the design of the lea a lot, but I'll probably end up using the ego-t more, if the atty on the lea doesn't break-in after a while. If it does break in well, then I'll switch to it, provided that the cartridge refill (due to .8ml tank) doesn't become a cumbersome issue. But I also have to say, I've been trying to get my parents into vaping, and they are long-time smokers, so they're a bit resistant to the idea. I'm thinking of buying a unit for them so that they'll at least feel guilty enough to give it a good try - and for them, I think the lea will be great.

Again, dripping onto a 510 atty is nice too. I find that 3 drops goes a *long* way, and it's not really inconvenient when I'm sitting at my desk. Tank for the car and when out in the world, and dripping at home.... not a bad way to go.

Sorry for being so wordy! :) I'm basically a newbie, so I'm close enough to your experience to know how to relate, but I have a lot to discover yet.

You can get a lot more info from this guy on youtube - DoctorVapor's Channel - YouTube

darkhawk151

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
thanks man that helps. i think ill stick with the ego-t. i would like a bit more flavor and vape from a pv. maybe it needs to be broken in but im not sure. and it seems like everyone is telling me to go with the ego as a starting pv. it seems pretty legit and at this point i just want to get one and ditch these blus. do you know if you can drip on the atty and let that soak in and then add the cart to it? like to get juice directly on the atty so its soaked in a bit more.

stringchopper

Aug 1, 2011
Indiana
You can't drip onto the atty on an ego-t... but you don't need to. The idea behind the tank is that it is always dripping onto the atty! If you want to be able to drip so that you can try different flavors at a vape shop or something, just buy a 510 style atty and a drip tip (under $10 for both). The 510 atty fits on the ego-t batteries - they both have the 510 style threading.

Also, I saw at https://www.cignot.com/product_p/egt-sil-cpa.htm that they are selling silicone caps for the tank cartridges, which should help tremendously with drip problems. I believe the Type A tank is the 1.2ml tank that comes with the unit (There is a type B tank that is bigger, and I think you can get silicone caps for it too).

EDIT: Man, you are gonna freak out when you throw away the blues and get an ego or ego-t. The difference is Night and Day!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread