Building a mod for battery life- suggestions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revmann

Verified Member
May 16, 2012
Clearwater, FL
I need some advice -

Looking to build a mod that will last me all day. I travel frequently and don't have much time to charge stuff. I currently juggle an ego twist and a madvapes VV box with the linear regulator. I am looking to switch to either a single 18650 VW or some type of dual 18650 VV using a switching regulator. I like vaping at 9 to 9.5 watts. I have been using 1.7 and 2 ohm carts and would not object to going a little higher in resistance if I could maintain 9-9.5 watts.

From a battery life standpoint (would be using AW IMR 2000 mah), which would be better? Is it safe to parallel two batteries for the VW mod?

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
You best bet is probably an OKR regulator at high voltage with 2x 1000mAh or better batteries.
  • OKR for reliability and efficiency.
  • High voltage because it draws let current to maintain you desired wattage.
  • 1000mAh or better because users typically get a full day plus out of this setup and ~1000mAh.

With 2x 2250mAh Panasonic cells you should be able to stretch 2 days or more out of a charge. More if you spend a little more for the 3100mAh Panasonic NNP cells.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Just build this and use a larger enclosure.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ena-vv-mod-denalis-lil-sis-step-step-how.html

You amp load is quite modest, there is no advantage to using mAh challenged IMRs in a mod like this.

And don't fall for the Panasonic2900/3100 hype, middling performance and over rated mAh for actual vaping.

Note how quickly a Panasonic (bottom) drops voltage, even at a light 1A drain.

Pana_v_Sanyo__Xtar.jpg

Dots at 3.5 and 3.25V. The Panasonic @ 3.5V manages about ~1600mAh, the Xtar (Sanyo2600) 2400mAh. That's 50% more, quite significant.

Paying more for sub par performance, from a manufacturer whose battery division always loses money, makes no sense.

Shipped from a US warehouse and priced right.

2pcs XTAR 18700 2600mAh $15.19 Fast Ship From US/UK stock | eBay

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
They really are.

One battery retailer has an Xtar battery but chose the 3100 Panasonic re-wrap, we don't need any more Panasonic re-wraps. Wrong Xtar.

Here's 3A test. Figure a 1.5Ω atty on a single tube PV at about 2.4A.

aw29s261_Sanyo_.gif

The Sanyo has a slight advantage as this one is unprotected vs. the AW/Panasonic which has a PCM.

Even if you drag your vaping down to 3.2V, once again the difference in vaping mAh/volts is quite significant.

Panasonic's mAh rating is based on a 2.5V cut-off, no vaper will ever drag a cell that low.

Here's another fav. Folks always like to say AW has 'accurate' mAh ratings and the Chinese always exagerate.

Here's a China Tenergy2600 VS an AW2600 Li-Ion (which costs a lot more).

18650_2011_ten_AW_test_.jpg

The dots are on the 2A trace (a tad more than a LR Boge carto would draw). The dots are at 3.4 and 3.2V. It could just a sample to sample difference but the Tenergy noses out the AW by a hair. I have never seen such similar/identical looking tests at all amp loads. That AW very well may be a China Tenergy re-wrap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread