Calling all mech mod Jedis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that when it comes to contact points gold plated is best, followed by silver plated, then copper, and so on. When it comes to voltage drop, does the conductivity of the negative tube/housing come into play? Theoretically speaking, if I built a mech mod completely out of gold, I should have minimal voltage drop correct?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
"You have to look at two different things, the resistance of the solid material that is the conductor, and the resistance of the joint (or connection / contact surface / interface, or whatever you want to call it). Silver has higher conductivity (lower resistance) than gold. But it tarnishes, which means a high resistance oxide forms on its surface. Silver is fine for many things, but where a very low voltage and low current is involved (for example in electronics signals) the tarnish can interfere with the signal and gold must be used instead"

Gold or Silver which is the better electrical conductor?

but all things being equal the difference in conductivity is minimal and some mods are gold plating the pins just to avoid having to clean/untarnish them

Last edited:

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
A test is worth a thousand expert options. Just cast one and shoot it over to me.

Ill do a side by side against a Poldi, ELA, brass Mortar, Nemi, brass and SS Chi, Origin and 22mm Ti Ba.

Then have it valued by Cash for Gold :D

EDIT:

Sorry, I'm given you guys a hard time; but yeah Thrasher's got the technical aspect of this dialed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread