Mechanical Mod battery Tubes and Conductivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowfood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
Raleigh
Help me understand something. Everyone raves about brass or silver/rhodium contacts and, how much more they "hit like a train" than ss contacts, ok, but what about : the battery tube and material the PV mod is made of? Correct me if I'm wrong but alot of these mechs are SS - Poor conductivity. Some like the Zenesis hybrides are even worse - 316 grade SS - less conductive. The body of the mod is part of the circuit right? So, help me understand something - are the SS mods more about "aesthetics" than actually worrying about voltage drop? Or, considering the amount of material used in the body, does the conductivity issue become a non-issue? I mean, why aren't more mods built from copper? or even brass? Seems most are SS? I get the polish is a pain in the ...., but, wouldn't a harder hitting mod be more of a selling point? There are also the telescoping mods with more threads, points of contact creating more voltage drops, but I'll guess that one is more about convenience than voltage drops.

-CF

Last edited:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
considering the amount of material used in the body, does the conductivity issue become a non-issue?

^^This.

For the most part, the surface area and size of the body will negate most of the poor conductivity. "The river is wide enough for ample current to flow". Most of the "problem" is the small surface area pathways in the battery, switch, and atty contacts; the narrow part of the stream.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
For our application you will find that the conductivity between different metals is minimal when it comes to the mod itself.

The voltage drop difference between say silver and steel in these mods can be less than 0.1 volts. If you strapped on a genesis atomizer and blind folded someone I highly doubt they could tell a difference.

The biggest issue with voltage drop is not the fact that it happens ... because it will happen no matter what. But rather understanding the actual voltage you are getting in order to know the correct wattage and amperage your setup is achieving.

Just because you have a sub ohm coil on a fresh battery doesn't mean you are getting 20 watts of vapor. Depending on the setup ... you might only be achieving 9-10. Something that most regulated devices could do just the same.

Numbers can sometimes prevent you from being happy with something you would otherwise enjoy. At the end of the day all that matters is whether your vaping experience is good enough for you.

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
The brass and rhodium etc contacts do make a big difference on low ohm coils. You won't see a huge difference with standard res but the lower the res, the more important proper contacts are.

Look through the mechanical threads in this forum and you'll see some people are gaining half a volt or more at the atty when they switch out stainless for better conducting metals.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
The highest voltage drop off I get on my setups is 0.3 volts. And that's with a stainless steel K100, a stainless steel mini dud, and a 0.8 ohm twisted coil.

That was a $47 setup ... nothing special.
Perhaps some of those people getting abnormal voltage dropoff have oxidization at their contact points?

Last edited:

cowfood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
Raleigh

^^This.

For the most part, the surface area and size of the body will negate most of the poor conductivity. "The river is wide enough for ample current to flow". Most of the "problem" is the small surface area pathways in the battery, switch, and atty contacts; the narrow part of the stream.

Thanks, I have seen the "river" analogy used before with 32bit vs 64bit CPU architecture etc. This helps give a good visualization for me. Had to use this to understand why my dual coil setups ran too hot with 5 wrap 28 awg recently - I switched to 32 awg to get a reasonable amount of resistance. 0.9 ohms at 5 wrap dual coil, vs 0.4 ohms with the 28 awg.

-CF

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
The highest voltage drop off I get on my setups is 0.3 volts. And that's with a stainless steel K100, a stainless steel mini dud, and a 0.8 ohm twisted coil.

That was a $47 setup ... nothing special.
Perhaps some of those people getting abnormal voltage dropoff have oxidization at their contact points?

There are a few mods which have bad conductivity out of the box. I have a Natural and if you check that thread, we have all seen pretty significant voltage gains by having brass contacts exposed. Other mods also have this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread