Question about Mech mods conductivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud boy

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
NJ
I never really paid attention to conductivity on mech mods other than contact pins. I remember when i first got my SS King mod I'd sometimes get shocked by the tube of the mod while firing but never really paid any attention to it. So my question is that, does the actual tube a part of the "circuit" of the mech mod? Does the body material affect the conductivity?
The reason i ask this is because recently Surefire Vapor came out with silver pins and spring upgrade and when i asked about the spring upgrade they told me it is gold plated and helps with conductivity. And since i have 2 King mods I wanted to know if the spring material actually helps with conductivity. And does this also mean that my brass king would hit harder than my ss king?

Thanks in advance. :2cool:

Cloud boy

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
NJ
Hot springs, switch design, pin design and dirt are common causes of voltage drop. Body tube voltage drop, brass vs SS, is insignificant.

Good to conduct your own voltage drop tests to determine if mod has electrical current bottle neck.

My brass and stainless Chemesis have same voltage drop at 0.5 ohms.

I have been having some trouble with one of my Kings. When i test for battery V it shows, but while under load, nothing shows up but it still fires. Any idea what caused it? I have tried my other king's bottom cap and i did get a reading so im sure its has something to do with my bottom cap, just not sure what is wrong with it.

EatBacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
Wherever the ARMY sends me
Ok, this is just MY opinion. On most mech mods the entire mod body is part of the negative connection. They are simple "complete" the circuit designs. the neg post makes contact with the button, the button is connected to the body/tube which has the cap/top screwed to it. the atty screws into the top/cap so now the atty's threads in contact with the body which acts as it's neg/ground. Once you fire the device you are completing the circuit and you have let the current of the battery thru the mod. Most mechs are based on a negative momentary switch and the positive connection is constant, however some top button mods have a constant neg and a momentary pos. I don't know if that made sense?

I think the key is have solid points of contact. Most mods and attys have SS bodies so I would not get wrapped about special contacts, so will brass/copper neg post help if the current is just going into the SS body? The entire mod is only as strong as its weakest contact point or conductive material. I have seen mods with dirty end caps/buttons drop more voltage. This is a well debated subject so do a search and some reading. Ok I'll stop now.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
I think the key is have solid points of contact. Most mods and attys have SS bodies so I would not get wrapped about special contacts, so will brass/copper neg post help if the current is just going into the SS body? The entire mod is only as strong as its weakest contact point or conductive material. I have seen mods with dirty end caps/buttons drop more voltage. This is a well debated subject so do a search and some reading. Ok I'll stop now.

Think about it this way. The electricity has the entire mod to flow through, whether it's stainless steel or copper. That's a lot of space to move around in. But they're all directed to and from those little pins that touch the battery. So really, you want those pins to be as accepting of that electricity as possible.

While the difference between a stainless mod and a brass mod may be noticeable, the real difference will show with something like stainless pins vs. silver pins.

There are other variables, such as the amount of threads (bridges the electricity has to travel across), but I feel the truly important aspects are the contacts.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
I picked up a Cen-tech multimeter from Harbor Freight using the coupon from Sunday's flyer to bring the cost down to - wait for it - free.

I measured a 30 amp Sony first - 4.1 volts. I put this battery in my SS Magneto - 4.08 volts. I put it in my brass Origin clone (magnetic switch, copper bottom contact, brass top contact) - 4.09 - 4.1 volts when fired. I tested my brass M16 Sentinel clone (brass contacts) - 4.1 volts.

All of these mods are acceptable registering good efficiency.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I picked up a Cen-tech multimeter from Harbor Freight using the coupon from Sunday's flyer to bring the cost down to - wait for it - free.

I measured a 30 amp Sony first - 4.1 volts. I put this battery in my SS Magneto - 4.08 volts. I put it in my brass Origin clone (magnetic switch, copper bottom contact, brass top contact) - 4.09 - 4.1 volts when fired. I tested my brass M16 Sentinel clone (brass contacts) - 4.1 volts.

All of these mods are acceptable registering good efficiency.

Need to voltage drop test under coil load to verify mech mod and topper can flow enough electrical current.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
Need to voltage drop test under coil load to verify mech mod and topper can flow enough electrical current.

Thanks for the instructions - I tried it again - the battery is reading 4.08 now:

Brass Origin clone
3.93 - drop of 0.15

Brass M16 Sentinel clone:
3.96 - drop of 0.12

SS Smok Magneto:
3.67 - drop of 0.41

That Magneto isn't very efficient after all...

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for the instructions - I tried it again - the battery is reading 4.08 now:

Brass Origin clone
3.93 - drop of 0.15

Brass M16 Sentinel clone:
3.96 - drop of 0.12

SS Smok Magneto:
3.67 - drop of 0.41

That Magneto isn't very efficient after all...

Your voltage drop numbers will mean more to others if you also list your coil resistance and batt model number.

Your Magneto may be a friend of my Omega clone. Still vapes good though. Is your Magneto threads nice and clean?

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
I received my new Poldiac Aname V2 this week from MMV. It has a brass body and the contact pins and the spring are Rhodium over silver plated brass. I put a Kayfun Lite tank on it with a 1.5 ohm coil and installed a charged Sony US18650VTC4 2100mAh battery. All threads were checked to make sure they were clean.
I did a voltage drop test with an inline voltage tester.

4.18 volts without the Kayfun Lite
4.11 volts with the Kayfun Lite
0.07 voltage drop.

These results were with everything perfectly clean and in perfect working condition. It can only go down hill from here.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
Your voltage drop numbers will mean more to others if you also list your coil resistance and batt model number.

Your Magneto may be a friend of my Omega clone. Still vapes good though. Is your Magneto threads nice and clean?
The coil is measuring at 2.2 ohms built on an Octopus dripping RBA and the battery is a Sony 18650 3.7V 1600 mAh 30A purchased less than 2 months ago from VaporDNA.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
I did some research and then worked out some bottlenecks. I tightened up the telescoping tube connection and removed the spring sitting under the connection making contact with the bottom of the battery. Same battery - Sony 30 amp at 4.03 volts now reads 3.88 firing a 1.3 ohm coil - the 0.15 volt drop is more than respectable in my opinion.

:)

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
so how do you guys test your voltage drop under load with a multimeter? check the battery voltage first ofcourse, then do I put the leads on the pos and neg posts of my dripper and fire it and see what the voltage is while firing?

Yes and take note of coil resistance.
Test w/ a couple toppers because they too are a voltage drop source.
My lowest volt drop topper has a clean copper pin.

Tis easier to buy an inline volt meter that mounts under topper but DMM is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread