Can’t find a vape with a good throat hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjohnson96

Oct 12, 2020
Hi!
My name is Jahlen. Recently I bought a disposable vape from a gas station, they are $16 a piece and are amazing. Well 2 weeks of buying them almost everyday and I’ve spent as much as I could have on a refillable vape, if not more. So I purchased the Boulder rock vape with some eliquids and when I tell you it feels like nothing.. I blow out the vapor but never even felt like anything was happening. Really disappointed but why did I expect more for the price lol. Anyway, I’m new to all this so if you have a specific brand as well as the juice that would work best please let me know. Too many vague answers when I looked this up before. Thanks!

Reactions: Mowgli

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
Disposable vapes generally come with 3%-6% (30-60mg/ml) salt based nicotine solution.
What was the strength of the liquid you used in the Boulder?
If the throat hit from SALT based juice is unsatisfying, you can mix in regular (freebase) high nicotine juice to increase the sensation.
Where are you located?

Cheers
I

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Throat hit comes primarily from the nicotine strength of the e-liquid. In other words, if seeking more throat hit, purchase an e-liquid with a higher nicotine strength.

Nicotine strengths are generally available in 0mg, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg, and 18mg.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Jjohnson96

Oct 12, 2020
Hi and welcome,
Disposable vapes generally come with 3%-6% (30-60mg/ml) salt based nicotine solution.
What was the strength of the liquid you used in the Boulder?
If the throat hit from SALT based juice is unsatisfying, you can mix in regular (freebase) high nicotine juice to increase the sensation.
Where are you located?

Cheers
I
Hi! I am in Georgia. The disposable one was 5 or 6% and then the liquid I purchased was 24mg. I also made sure it was higher in pg. so I’m not too sure why there isn’t any sensation at all. I don’t want to keep wasting money on different liquids if they aren’t the problem and the vape is

Reactions: Izan

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
You have received good advice from @Baditude and @Izan, so I will just say hi and welcome to ecf.
Hello.gif

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    5% = 50mg
    6% = 60mg

24mg = 2.4%

I assume the disposables were filled with nic salts.

If that 24mg juice you bought is also nic salts, then I think you have your answer, you need to buy nic salt juice higher than 24mg (aka 2.4%).

On the other hand if that 24mg juice is regular nic (not nic salts), I'd be really confused because 24mg, high PG juice should give you pretty good throat hit.

However, another way to increase throat hit is to increase the wattage (or voltage) on your device. This increases temperature of the vapor which can possibly also give you a more pronounced throat hit.

But as far as I can see, you can't do that on the Boulder Rock device so you're only option for increasing TH will be to increase your nic %/mg.

• Agree
    Reactions: Mordacai

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2017
    Nevada
    I think that you need to go bigger @Jjohnson96, so you may consider upgrading your gear.

As it sounds as though something a bit more cloudy may suit you better.

A bit more cloudy would mean something DL with lower ohms and lower nicotine. I think that's going in the opposite direction of what the OP is looking for.

Man, vaping 50 mg or 60 mg nicotine is just not a great thing. Pumping that much nicotine into your body just creates a really high tolerance and leaves you with bigger cravings that are that much harder to satisfy.

• Agree
    Reactions: Fstop

Fstop

ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi! I am in Georgia. The disposable one was 5 or 6% and then the liquid I purchased was 24mg. I also made sure it was higher in pg. so I’m not too sure why there isn’t any sensation at all. I don’t want to keep wasting money on different liquids if they aren’t the problem and the vape is
    Look everyone is different but transitioning from cigarettes in today's e-cig & vaping market can be tricky, I burnt a hole in my pocket when all you need is a fairly inexpensive tank & battery. I vape 0 nicotine & what people appear to call a throat hit is a draw of vape that now makes me cough & this is with a plain cheap TFA Pina Colada Flavor mixed into 60VG/40PG on a gd but low cost tank & battery. All u need to do is 'tighten your' to equal the same draw u get With Your Boulder Ecigs. Stop buying Expensive Eliquid you don't know taste of & fancy vaping to start off with Like I did.
    Tank: $9.65 Dvarw MTL FL Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 2ml (22*19mm (OD*ID)) / stainless steel + glass / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Free Shipping
    Some Cotton:
    $2.62 Authentic Demon Killer Slacker Cotton Organic Cotton Wick (60-Pack) at FastTech - Free Shipping
    Coil wire:
    $1.66 Ambrose Vape Kanthal A1 Heating Wire - 30 AWG / 0.25mm dia. / 30ft at FastTech - Free Shipping
    Handy tools:
    $3.91 Stainless Steel Ceramic Tweezers for E-Cigarette (3 Pieces) - ships one of each type at FastTech - Free Shipping
    $1.62 Coil Father 2-in-1 DIY Coil Winding Rod - w/ phillips head at FastTech - Free Shipping
    2 Batteries 18650
    1 inexpensive 2 Battery Recharger

I learned to use this all here, EZ Pe Ze
    Sourcmore.come com has a nice $10. W code VFVLM - Flask Battery (what they called a MOD) U can put regular RTA tanks on, that you can easily build to your custom 'Draw Needs' & that's your key.
    Be careful with Nicotine Levels especially if you want to wean yourself off, like I did, too hi Nicotine can give u a heart attack, raise blood pressure. My experience is that Nicotine is Not the Only thing that gives you a Strong Throat Hit. U can raise vaping heat, reduce air flow. We'll help in this forum there are many conscientious people. As for tobacco flavor i found to mimic cigarettes Sahara comes with diff Nicotine Levels by Apollo & I dilute it in VG & Pg cause its a little too sweet for my taste. Buy yourself 1 liter of ea. VG & PG & you're good to go. Good luck

Reactions: Vapqer

Jjohnson96

Oct 12, 2020
    5% = 50mg
    6% = 60mg

24mg = 2.4%

I assume the disposables were filled with nic salts.

If that 24mg juice you bought is also nic salts, then I think you have your answer, you need to buy nic salt juice higher than 24mg (aka 2.4%).

On the other hand if that 24mg juice is regular nic (not nic salts), I'd be really confused because 24mg, high PG juice should give you pretty good throat hit.

However, another way to increase throat hit is to increase the wattage (or voltage) on your device. This increases temperature of the vapor which can possibly also give you a more pronounced throat hit.

But as far as I can see, you can't do that on the Boulder Rock device so you're only option for increasing TH will be to increase your nic %/mg.
    I would like to upgrade to an actual vape system eventually if you have any good recommendations? I’d like to not spend more than $150 if possible. And I didn’t realize 24mg was that little nicotine! It makes sense. I’ll try getting a higher percentage and see if that helps. If not I’ll probably just buy a nicer vape and use the higher nicotine juice. Thanks!!

Jjohnson96

Oct 12, 2020
    Look everyone is different but transitioning from cigarettes in today's e-cig & vaping market can be tricky, I burnt a hole in my pocket when all you need is a fairly inexpensive tank & battery. I vape 0 nicotine & what people appear to call a throat hit is a draw of vape that now makes me cough & this is with a plain cheap TFA Pina Colada Flavor mixed into 60VG/40PG on a gd but low cost tank & battery. All u need to do is 'tighten your' to equal the same draw u get With Your Boulder Ecigs. Stop buying Expensive Eliquid you don't know taste of & fancy vaping to start off with Like I did.
    Tank: $9.65 Dvarw MTL FL Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 2ml (22*19mm (OD*ID)) / stainless steel + glass / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Free Shipping
    Some Cotton:
    $2.62 Authentic Demon Killer Slacker Cotton Organic Cotton Wick (60-Pack) at FastTech - Free Shipping
    Coil wire:
    $1.66 Ambrose Vape Kanthal A1 Heating Wire - 30 AWG / 0.25mm dia. / 30ft at FastTech - Free Shipping
    Handy tools:
    $3.91 Stainless Steel Ceramic Tweezers for E-Cigarette (3 Pieces) - ships one of each type at FastTech - Free Shipping
    $1.62 Coil Father 2-in-1 DIY Coil Winding Rod - w/ phillips head at FastTech - Free Shipping
    2 Batteries 18650
    1 inexpensive 2 Battery Recharger

I learned to use this all here, EZ Pe Ze
    Sourcmore.come com has a nice $10. W code VFVLM - Flask Battery (what they called a MOD) U can put regular RTA tanks on, that you can easily build to your custom 'Draw Needs' & that's your key.
    Be careful with Nicotine Levels especially if you want to wean yourself off, like I did, too hi Nicotine can give u a heart attack, raise blood pressure. My experience is that Nicotine is Not the Only thing that gives you a Strong Throat Hit. U can raise vaping heat, reduce air flow. We'll help in this forum there are many conscientious people. As for tobacco flavor i found to mimic cigarettes Sahara comes with diff Nicotine Levels by Apollo & I dilute it in VG & Pg cause its a little too sweet for my taste. Buy yourself 1 liter of ea. VG & PG & you're good to go. Good luck
    Thank you for all the advice! I’m actually not a smoker. I’m an eater with anxiety. Vaping really helps me with both! So I never wanted to be on high nicotine since it’s never been an issue but it just stresses me out to have no throat feeling what so ever. Thank you for taking the time to make this post and explain! I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: Mowgli

Jjohnson96

Oct 12, 2020
    A bit more cloudy would mean something DL with lower ohms and lower nicotine. I think that's going in the opposite direction of what the OP is looking for.

Man, vaping 50 mg or 60 mg nicotine is just not a great thing. Pumping that much nicotine into your body just creates a really high tolerance and leaves you with bigger cravings that are that much harder to satisfy.
    Yes exactly, I’m going for less cloudy and more feeling in my throat. I am not a smoker so I hate to get high nicotine but vaping really helps me with my anxiety. But with no throat feeling it actually stresses me out more lol.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Yes exactly, I’m going for less cloudy and more feeling in my throat. I am not a smoker so I hate to get high nicotine but vaping really helps me with my anxiety. But with no throat feeling it actually stresses me out more lol.

You don't need, and apparently don't even want, high nicotine in your vape, so don't do this. High nic will only make you sick and won't do all that much for your throat hit.

I agree with @Vapemesilly --first stay away from high nic salts--they are formulated to increase your nicotine intake while reducing throat irritation. You want the opposite effect.

1. Switch to low nicotine 6-12mg/ml), high (60 or even 70%) PG eliquids. PG increases TH.
    2. Find a new device that will allow you to use lower resistance coils and higher wattage. You'll get more TH from that.
    3. Try decreasing the airflow if your device will let you--more concentrated airflow gives you more direct TH.
    4. Experiment with menthol, peppermint, spearmint or citrus flavors--they may provide the sensation you're looking for.

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I would like to upgrade to an actual vape system eventually if you have any good recommendations? I’d like to not spend more than $150 if possible. And I didn’t realize 24mg was that little nicotine! It makes sense. I’ll try getting a higher percentage and see if that helps. If not I’ll probably just buy a nicer vape and use the higher nicotine juice.

If you want to stay with drop-in coil and internal battery device, try Innokin Sceptre. It's a pod/AIO (all in one) that comes with 1.2 and .5Ω coils. Watch some YouTube videos first to learn if you'll be comfortable using it and to learn how to properly use it.

If you want a more elaborate setup with more options (and a higher initial cost), try a Zlide/Zenith line and their coils. You'll need a mod to use with the tank(s); you can choose a mod with a built-in battery or one with external batteries, but that will get expensive because you'll have to buy batteries and a charger separately.

tom65

Feb 1, 2020
    4. Experiment with menthol, peppermint, spearmint or citrus flavors--they may provide the sensation you're looking for.

These are good options. Another option is Flavourart Flash. This stuff is pure throat hit in a bottle. Some people use it to taper off of Nicotine. Some kind of pepper extract I think. This is not an eliquid but a flavoring you can add to your eliquid. It is very concentrated. Start slow. Add maybe a a drop to a full tank and go from there.

The advice @Fstop gave above is very good. Rebuildables are not hard and are quite fun. They are also a good thing to have if the FDA starts getting aggressive about enforcement. And they are much less expensive than buying coils.

Another tank option to consider is the Innokin Ares 2 which is a good rebuildable tank that is geared to people who are just starting to rebuild. Once you get the hang of building, you can adjust the throat hit by changing the coil position and wacky stuff like that.

I like a good throat hit myself and achieve that with my my RTAs using 3mg freebase nicotine and 50/50 pg/vg. You don't need to crank up the nic to get a satisfying vape.

Good luck

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread