Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This is true, but you can still look at the data and have an idea of how good the study was. ...

Look at the Data ???

If it was that simple, there wouldn't be much Debate about the Results.

The first thing you learn in Statistics is you Don't Tweak the Results. That can be Challenged.

You Tweak the Data.

How was the Sample and what Size was Chosen and was there any Data, or How Much, that was Not Used in Correlating a Result comes to mind.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I know this study says we really get next to no nicotine, but I haven't read any others yet. Granted this is not long term use, but if the inhaler isn't getting any, I would think 2nd hand isn't either.

Virginia Commonwealth University Study of Electronic Cigarettes by Dr. Eissenberg | The Electronic Cigarette & E-Cigarettes by Instead
It depends...

If you look at studies like the one Dr. Eissenberg did awhile back, yeah, some people are getting little or no nicotine.
And those people would be first time users who have underpowered devices that they are using incorrectly.

If you look at the current studies Dr. Eissenberg is doing, the conclusions are very different.
People with quality devices that know how to vape are getting plenty of nicotine.

This is some information from his current study...
"Electronic cigarettes CAN deliver nicotine": Smoking Cessation Community - Support Group

One of the most interesting studies was presented in a poster by Dr Andrea Vansickel and colleagues at Professor Tom Eissenberg's laboratory at Virginia Commonwealth University. This group had previously published a study of e-cigarette use in cigarette smokers which found that they obtained only negligible levels of blood nicotine from the e-cigarettes. In the poster last week they reported preliminary results from the first 3 subjects in a new study of regular e-cigarette users. Each of these e-cigarette users used their own modified e-cigarettes and at least two of them obtained significant increases in blood nicotine concentrations, reaching more than 10 ng/ml from 10 puffs over 5-minutes, and one reached over 30 ng/ml with continued use. These levels are comparable to the venous blood nicotine levels that can be absorbed by a cigarette, and I believe this is the first time this has ever been reported. I am looking forward to reading the full results when the study is completed and published in a peer-reviewed journal.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I suspect a lot of the transition from cigs is due to the other "gotcha" chemicals in them. Even without the purposeful additives, when we switch to vaping we lose the tobacco alkaloid MAOIs, which lengthened the feel-good phase, and no longer get the "rush" from carbon monoxide.
These factors are definitely a big variable in this game.

The fact is, however anecdotal, that electronic cigarette users generally report similar results across the board...
--decreasing dependance on nicotine
--decreased need or anticipation for the next nicotine fix
--ease of reducing nicotine strength

If anecdotal evidence were valid, we should conclude a number of things...
--nicotine is not as addictive as everyone thinks
--there is more to cigarettes, with respect to addictiveness, than just nicotine

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You have to look, not only at who funded the study (which is something to take into consideration of course), but how the study was done. Does their methodology make sense, did they have controls, did they have a large enough sample size to determine what they wanted to, does their data say what they think it does? etc...
Exactly.

In other words, you have to look at the methodologies, the measures used, the controls, the results, and the interpretation of the results to determine validity of the conclusions. The problem is, you need some training in these areas to make these determinations. The general public does not have such training, and is easily fooled. Same goes for the media who reports these conclusions to the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread