Status
Not open for further replies.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I'm close to convinced that I personally can't taste this flavor. Everyone raves about it, but I can't seem to get anything resembling strawberry out of it, no matter how I use it. Right now I'm vaping it solo at (a whopping) 10% and all I'm getting is a very mild candy-like sweetness. I taste nothing strawberry. It doesn't even smell like strawberry. I have no such problems with my other strawberry flavors. I use lots of INW Shisha, TFA Ripe and regular Strawberry, and FA Strawberry and I can taste them all just fine. If I vaped Shisha at 10% it would blow my doors off.

If I mix CAP Sweet with another strawberry, it just seems to water it down, though I can still taste the OTHER strawberry. If I mix it with sweetener, I get a sucralose train wreck. If I mix it with a different fruit such as LOR Banana Cream (my latest experiment), it gets totally obliterated by the other flavor. If I make Unicorn Milk with it, all it does is seem to amplify the Graham cracker crust in unpleasant ways that Strawberry Ripe TFA doesn't do. If I let it steep, it actually seems to become even more muted, if that's possible.

So what am I missing. Is there a magic combo that makes it pop? Everyone loves CAP Sweet Strawberry, but my taste receptors seem immune to it. I'll try any recipe you suggest. What recipes do you all have where you can actually taste CAP Sweet Strawberry?

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
I did not love that one. All I got was a chemical weirdness. My current favorite is RFSC Strawberry. Before that it was German Strawberry, but that's so gunky. But I know what you mean, FA Zeppole is mine. I can't taste it. Not dough, not sweet, not anything really. It's just one step above unflavored and that's it at 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5%.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
use to be my favorite strawberry for years, maybe you got a bad bottle?? i had one get ruined when i ordered it during a heat wave one year, although it did have a skunk/chemical smell in bottle and those notes could be tasted in my finished mix (they got thrashed afterwards).
with good bottles, they always smelled like a nice light sweet strawberry to me and i could always taste it in my custards, creams and it really stood out mixed with maryjane flavoring but, i never felt it had a pure strawberry flavor taste and i did have to use a bit for flavor to be in the foreground. i ended up switching to molin berry's wild strawberry, really love the ripe strawberry taste of it and don't have to use much of it.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Right now I'm vaping it solo at (a whopping) 10% and all I'm getting is a very mild candy-like sweetness. I taste nothing strawberry. It doesn't even smell like strawberry.

I assume you've tried it lower too, right? It depends a lot on your equipment, etc., but 10% is pretty high for it. Using too much of a flavor can cause you to not be able to taste it. Have you tried it around 3-4% as a standalone (maybe after a break from vaping it at 10%?)

If I mix CAP Sweet with another strawberry, it just seems to water it down, though I can still taste the OTHER strawberry.

Strawberry is notoriously a flavor that some people have a hard time tasting in juice. I've never heard of anyone being able to taste lots of other strawberries, but not CAP Sweet, but you might have an idiosyncratic palate. Or, as @Sylvie suggested you might have got a bad batch. It happens occasionally.

Everyone loves CAP Sweet Strawberry, but my taste receptors seem immune to it. I'll try any recipe you suggest. What recipes do you all have where you can actually taste CAP Sweet Strawberry?

Well, I'm not everyone, I guess ;). I prefer it as an accent, cause I get some funny notes from it at higher percentages. Personally, I like JF's Sweet Strawberry a lot better for that style of Strawberry. If you have no luck with the CAP you might try it out.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I personally like CAP Sweet Strawberry but typically mix it with something else if I want a more natural strawberry. For me, it is comparable to other CAP fruit flavors in strength. Just curious... if you put a drop of the concentrate on your finger, do you taste anything? :cool:
I can taste PG and a faint hint of artificial strawberry with a heavy, almost stinging chemical undertaste. I don't taste much if any sweetness. I also had my 7 year old candy-expert nephew taste it and he confirmed a serious lack of strawberry and sweetness. Also, my bottle smells heavily of...nail polish. This 2 oz bottle came from Nicotine River, Aug. 16 2016 so it's not quite a year old. There's no expiration date on the bottle, only a lot number. It's sat in the cabinet untouched, creature of habit that I am, when I think strawberry I reach for the TFAs. I only started playing with it recently, when I tried a recipe called "Maiden's Milk" (thanks ThirdWorldOrder). I liked the base result but said "Hey, where's the strawberry?" and that's what started me digging deeper.

I totally trust my supplier, but I'm reordering a fresh bottle. Do you find this flavor to be more "one-dimensional" than other strawberries? It might just be that my expectations exceed its "dimensions".

@go_player Yeah, I started at 4%, and have gone as high as 15%. One thing I'll say for it, it's very smooth even at high ratios, just lacking in flavor.

Reactions: IDJoel

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I can taste PG and a faint hint of artificial strawberry with a heavy, almost stinging chemical undertaste. I don't taste much if any sweetness. I also had my 7 year old candy-expert nephew taste it and he confirmed a serious lack of strawberry and sweetness. Also, my bottle smells heavily of...nail polish. This 2 oz bottle came from Nicotine River, Aug. 16 2016 so it's not quite a year old. There's no expiration date on the bottle, only a lot number. It's sat in the cabinet untouched, creature of habit that I am, when I think strawberry I reach for the TFAs. I only started playing with it recently, when I tried a recipe called "Maiden's Milk" (thanks ThirdWorldOrder). I liked the base result but said "Hey, where's the strawberry?" and that's what started me digging deeper.

I totally trust my supplier, but I'm reordering a fresh bottle. Do you find this flavor to be more "one-dimensional" than other strawberries? It might just be that my expectations exceed its "dimensions".

@go_player Yeah, I started at 4%, and have gone as high as 15%. One thing I'll say for it, it's very smooth even at high ratios, just lacking in flavor.

First let me say, I've never ordered from Nicotine River, but it sounds to me like you may have gotten a bad batch. When I receive new flavorings, I always do a quick shake then a drop test on my finger before storing. I find most simple fruit flavorings one dimensional, that's generally why I often use 2 or more to get a desired effect. I don't particularly like TFA Strawberry Ripe on it's own, but when combined with CAP Sweet Strawberry, it is quite enjoyable. I find CAP Sweet Strawberry to be a sweet, candy like strawberry flavor, almost syrupy at moderate percentages. I am also a fan of TWO's "Maidens Milk" although I use a CAP Raspberry/Sweet Strawberry combination instead of the specified CAP Sweet Strawberry. I hope you get it sorted because CAP Sweet Strawberry is a great flavor to have in your mixing box. :cool:

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
First let me say, I've never ordered from Nicotine River, but it sounds to me like you may have gotten a bad batch. When I receive new flavorings, I always do a quick shake then a drop test on my finger before storing. I find most simple fruit flavorings one dimensional, that's generally why I often use 2 or more to get a desired effect. I don't particularly like TFA Strawberry Ripe on it's own, but when combined with CAP Sweet Strawberry, it is quite enjoyable. I find CAP Sweet Strawberry to be a sweet, candy like strawberry flavor, almost syrupy at moderate percentages. I am also a fan of TWO's "Maidens Milk" although I use a CAP Raspberry/Sweet Strawberry combination instead of the specified CAP Sweet Strawberry. I hope you get it sorted because CAP Sweet Strawberry is a great flavor to have in your mixing box. :cool:
First thing I'll try with my fresh bottle is Maiden's Milk modded to your specs! As always your info is great. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread