Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
It's been a while since I posted a good-night photo, but here's a beauty. It's not mine but something I found in my Internet travels. I wish I had taken it! It's gorgeous. I'd be very proud of such a picture.

That photo is beautiful, SandySu.

Happy birthday to you, Evie.

Thanks, Zero. We really have tried to basically enhance what we have here already. We have put in mostly trees and shrubs. Shade and wind breaks is what we have been growing. I have some flowers in a few beds. They are mostly natives like prairie cone flowers, sages, penstemmons, iris, etc.

A lawn would be out of the question since it would be silly looking here and take too much water and time for very little effect on our climate. It would also be a bit strange looking to have all these wonderful desert plants and then a patch of mown green lawn.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
They are mostly natives like prairie cone flowers, sages, penstemmons, iris, etc.... It would also be a bit strange looking to have all these wonderful desert plants and then a patch of mown green lawn.
Yep. Enhancing what is already there.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
My puppy dog gotnsprayed by a skunk last night. I wiped him off immediately, and I then bathed him last night. I am going to try baking soda and dishwashing liquid, I was wondering if any of you guys know of anything else to try. My bf is going to pick me up some skunk rid shampoo this evening if he can find any :) He is an indoor buddy so he is very upset about not being inside right now :(

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
My puppy dog gotnsprayed by a skunk last night. I wiped him off immediately, and I then bathed him last night. I am going to try baking soda and dishwashing liquid, I was wondering if any of you guys know of anything else to try. My bf is going to pick me up some skunk rid shampoo this evening if he can find any :) He is an indoor buddy so he is very upset about not being inside right now :(

Tomato juice.

Feminine deodorizer wash.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
  1. Apply a small strip of eye lubricant (such as Puralube) or 1-2 drops of mineral oil to your dog's eyes. This will help protect the eyes in case any of the solution splashes or drips in.
  2. Ads

1. In the plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.
  2. Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog's coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.
  3. Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).
  4. Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@ "LIzzie" - Enjoyed seeing the photos Ya' posted, especially since they show at least some of what "You" & Hubby accomplished with all the hard work Ya' both have been doing to make your own oasis there . . . NICE ! ! ! :thumbs;

@ "SandySu" - SO VERY GLAD to see "You" posting the "Good Night" Photo again . . . :D
AND - Such a beautiful one at that too . . . - VERY NICE ! ! ! :thumbs:

@ "DuckLady" - I so feel for Ya' . . .
an039.gif

NOW - Besides using the more recent formula of Peroxide/Baking Soda/Dish Detergent to remove the smell (EDIT: That I just see "Lizzie" posted above) . . . It has been "My" experience that the "Old Wives" Tale of using lots and lots of Tomato juice to rid the offending odor and then normal bathing will work too . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
  1. Act quickly! Once the skunk spray dries, the harder it will be to remove the odor. A skunked dog can smell for weeks, until the oils wear off naturally. Some long-haired dogs can retain the odor for years, smelling every time they get wet.
  2. Put on old clothes and gloves. Since skunk spray is an oil, it is difficult to remove from clothing.
  3. Wash him outside, if possible. Otherwise your entire house will smell. Keep your pooch away from his crate or bed until you've dealt with the odor.
  4. Check the eyes. Dogs usually approach skunks face first, which means they usually take a direct hit in the eyes. Skunk spray is irritating to the eyes. Your dog's eyes may become red or watery. It won't make him blind, but it is very painful. Flush his eyes with an over-the-counter human eye wash or saline solution. Tap water is ok, but saline solution is more soothing.
  5. Neutralize the spray. Mix 2 pints hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda, and two teaspoons of dishwashing liquid. You may need to repeat the peroxide bath several times before the stench subsides. Don't let him dry off. Just rinse thoroughly, then wash and repeat. (This solution will fizz up, so don't keep in a tight container because it may explode.)
  6. Tomato Juice. You will need more than a couple cans. First, wash him with his regular shampoo and rinse him well. Then saturate his coat with tomato juice. Let it soak in for 20 minutes. Rinse him well and shampoo again. Repeat the process until the smell subsides. However, if your dog has a light colored coat, tomato juice can stain it pink.
  7. Massengill. This over-the-counter douche will remove skunk smell from dog. For small to medium pets, mix 2 ounces of Massengill with 1 gallon of water. For large dogs, double the amount of Massengill and water. Pour the mixture over your dog. Let it soak for 15 minutes. Then wash him with his regular shampoo and rinse thoroughly.
  8. Club Soda. Use at room temperature. Apply the soda to your dog's coat. Let it soak in. Then wash him with his regular shampoo.

Hi Uncle, I don't know since we have almost no skunks here. There are some near the river. This list has stuff a lot of people will have in their home so they can use something right away to at least help with the odor.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Hi Uncle, I don't know since we have almost no skunks here. There are some near the river. This list has stuff a lot of people will have in their home so they can use something right away to at least help with the odor.

Hey There "Lizzie" . . . I Hear Ya' . . . I lived out in the country in "My" youth and had a few dogs that got "Skunked" (and even a couple of "stupid" people too) . . . At that time, all that was available was tomato juice, which didn't always work the first time either . . .AND - It was always a trial and error kind-a-of-thing . . . So - Let's just say that I really Wish we knew that there was all these possible solutions back then too . . . :facepalm:

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
  1. Apply a small strip of eye lubricant (such as Puralube) or 1-2 drops of mineral oil to your dog's eyes. This will help protect the eyes in case any of the solution splashes or drips in.
  2. Ads

1. In the plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.
  2. Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog's coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.
  3. Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).
  4. Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.
That is the recipe I found, but I did not use the hydrogen peroxide because I was afraid it would bleach his fur. Will the peroxide bleach his fur? The main place I cannot get it off of him is his face and top of his head. With the baking soda and dishwashing liquid I got it off his back and back of his neck....but I just cannot get it off of his face and top of his head. So do you think I should mix it with peroxide then?
I just want him back inside :( He is so sad and making me feel bad. Lol

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
I did not use the hydrogen peroxide because I was afraid it would bleach his fur. Will the peroxide bleach his fur?

If "You" are using 3% Peroxide - as suggested - Absolutely NOT ! ! !

Ya' actually would have to be using 20% + peroxide for it to even partially effect the color that way . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

I read on a few dog forums that tomato juice stains their fur red and masks the smell. So, is that not true?

If the Animal/Clothing/Person is extremely light/white in color - Tomato Juice will only leave a light "Stain" . . . Well that is if "You" leave it on too long and don't take care . . . Think of Tomato Juice/Sauce/Gravy on a white table cloth/shirt and the "stain" it leaves . . . :D

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
That is the recipe I found, but I did not use the hydrogen peroxide because I was afraid it would bleach his fur. Will the peroxide bleach his fur? The main place I cannot get it off of him is his face and top of his head. With the baking soda and dishwashing liquid I got it off his back and back of his neck....but I just cannot get it off of his face and top of his head. So do you think I should mix it with peroxide then?
I just want him back inside :( He is so sad and making me feel bad. Lol

I'd want to make sure all the stink is gone before I bring him in the house:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread