Clapton coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

smok627

Sep 29, 2014
Pittsburgh Pa
➰CLAPTON COIL➰ First attempt at making the Clapton Coil. 24g wrapped with 30g. 5 coils around 3/32 running single coil at .4 ohms. On a Freakshow rda with my ipv Mini 2 at 50 watts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 485
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 436
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 390

smok627

Sep 29, 2014
Pittsburgh Pa
Nice one man. I've made a few just to mess around, but was never happy with my install of it in the atty. There kinda springy. Anyone have tips on the springyness of them and how to combat that at all?

I started out with a straightened piece of 24 and after the coil was wrapped with the 30 I torched the coil between tweezers. This helped with the springiness. Hope this helped.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I started out with a straightened piece of 24 and after the coil was wrapped with the 30 I torched the coil between tweezers. This helped with the springiness. Hope this helped.
I was kinda thinking that. I'll have to give it another try and see how it goes.

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
Anyone have tips on the springyness of them and how to combat that at all?

When you've wrapped the core, take it out of the drill and cut each end so there is a couple of mm of bare core, with no outside wrap. Fold that back on itself over the outer wrap, so it locks the outside wrap in place. When you're wrapping the coil itself, use a drill bit a little smaller than the ID you're trying to achieve - the wraps will loosen a bit to roughly your target ID. so if you want a 2.5mm ID, try wrapping on a 2.0mm drill bit (or screwdriver or whatever you use).

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
One question. The voltage keeps changing on my mod... Resistance is not changing, steady at 0.6, wattage set to 120, should be ~8.5 V... and sometimes shows 8.5 V... then drops to 6.0, 5.5 etc... Batteries are showing half charge, is this why? I'm on a Tesla 120, dual 18650 in series, Samsung 25r's... I'm well within the amp limit, this setup at accurate 8.5V pushes under 15 A (mod itself limits at 24A which is lower than the batteries' limit)... I'm new to super high power, I figure it's probably voltage drop & inability to boost enough but am I right? And if so, is this a flaw in the mod I've had less than 2 weeks and never taken over 70W til this coil, or is this normal with batt drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread