Comparing two iTaste SVDs w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

plop1

Jun 8, 2013
France
Hi all, since I'm a bit deranged I ordered 2 SVDs. First, one from fasttech and I liked it so much that I ordered a second one from switch2ecigs. Paid premium just to check if there would be any differences.

They are not the same, and I am now convinced that fasttech is selling copies. Nice copies though. What follows maybe only concerns my 2 SVDs, others could also be different.
On the left is the "legit" one, on the right the one from fasttech. Here we go.

Pic 1

The bottom cap is shallower on the fasttech so I can't tighten the telescope as far.
2013-07-06%2018.46.29.jpg

Pic 2
- The screen on the fasttech is black, I can see through it most of the time when it's not lit (888 digits basically)
- On the legit SVD the screen is mirror-like, grey when there is no reflection, looks much nicer.
- The decorative holes on the top removable ring are a bit larger on the fasttech, on the contrary the little air vents in them are a little smaller.
- The plate on top between the top ring and the body is thicker. This + a shallower bottom cap = a slightly taller SVD.
Here both are in 18350 mode, fully tightened:
2013-07-06%2018.49.01.jpg

Pic 3
- The legit SVD has 2 additional holes at the bottom of the threadings on each side: one of my EVODs has its air holes drilled a little lower on the base so on the fasttech model I get ZERO airflow since they meet the threading. On the legit SVD those 2 extra holes save the day and the EVOD is perfectly usable.
- The threading of the removable top cap is much shorter on the copy.
- It can't show on a photo but the copy's 510 connector is spring loaded, not the case on the regular SVD.
2013-07-06%2019.06.44.jpg

Pics 4 and 5
- Legit screen is a bit grainy which looks nice to me, the copy is straight transparent.
2013-07-06%2018.55.18.jpg
2013-07-06%2018.56.09.jpg

Pic 6
The button on the copy barely sticks out of the tube.
2013-07-06%2018.52.29.jpg

Pic 7
- Fasttech fire button is black and shiny, legit button is less dark and grainy: the battery charge color indication is easier to see through it.
- The indications engraved on the body are a bit larger on the copy, and deeper too. Doesn't really show here though. But look closely at the ohm symbol and "D" sign below the fire button, and the lines going around those symbols. Copy!
2013-07-06%2018.51.41.jpg

Pics 8 and 9
Here you have to look very carefully since I don't have a macro camera, this is done with an iPhone. Look at the "+" button on the right: on the legit SVD the part around the button goes all the way down to meet the tube, flush. On the fasttech one both of those buttons kinda stick out, I can grip that part with a finger nail. There's either a missing piece, or they used a different part.
2013-07-06%2018.54.15.jpg
2013-07-06%2018.54.40.jpg

Pic 10
The labels etc on the bottom tube are not as sharp on the copy, however you have to reeaaally look closely. Probably won't show on the photo.
2013-07-06%2019.02.35.jpg

The telescope threading is the same on both (meaning, not that great).

The copy sends stray current through my hand while vaping, it feels like the SVD is slightly vibrating or something, and there's a slight, very high pitched buzz I can hear. No such thing with the legit one.

One last thing, the other day I tried a carto tank for the very first time and screwed up a refill: I flooded the fasttech model. I immediately took the top ring off and cleaned everything real good. Now it doesn't detect my Protank anymore. I guess the spring loaded 510 connector let some liquid go through, down inside the head... That same Protank is working fine on the other SVD and my Vamo.

So I'm now 100% convinced that fasttech is selling copies, even if some parts may be coming from the same factory.

And now that I think of it, the stainless steel Vamo I got from them had a totally different finish than the one I got from France, and it made all my clearos tilt to the left. A friend of mine got one from FT as well and it's the same too.

I guess I'm done with fasttech.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
the 2 i got from fasttech are mixed bag of what you have lol. closer to what your "legit" one is

This makes me wonder if its Innokin that made the changes depending on what parts they had available. Fasttech are advertising the SVD's as Innokin on their site. One reason I think they might be Innokin is that in the past photos of Innokin SVDs have shown both kinds of screens - some have the black screen and some have the grey screen. On my Fasttech SVD the fire button is exactly like the one on the OPs "legit" SVD from switch2ecigs.

This review by Scott Bonner shows a black screen that looks mirror grey when the light hits it a certain way, side buttons are almost flush with the body. Mine from Fasttech looks like his but doesn't have the holes at the bottom of the threadings which his does. My fire button is definitely the same as the OPs "legit". So I am wondering if Innokin changed the parts a little:

Last edited:

txredxj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2013
Kingfisher, OK
checked out my other and i have both types of battery caps. the shallow one is spring loaded so it goes in further. maybe 1/8 with 18650s in both at the top. so one battery cap, spring loaded pin and the atty connector are different from the legit one. the grainy screen is from a ....ty spacer that i cleared up with a torch.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The copy sends stray current through my hand while vaping, it feels like the SVD is slightly vibrating or something, and there's a slight, very high pitched buzz I can hear. No such thing with the legit one.

This hasn't happened with mine - and I haven't heard of anyone else having this happen with the Fasttech ones. So this may be more unique to yours. I have read of exactly this happening with an Innokin SVD purchased in March in the UK. Can't link to that site here - but it was the same issue and an Innokin mod.

On the rest - I would like to know if these are Innokin using different parts and processes, maybe sub-contracting - or not.

plop1

Jun 8, 2013
France
I would like to know if these are Innokin using different parts and processes, maybe sub-contracting - or not.

I could imagine this with the Vamo, which doesn't even have a brand, but from Innokin which seems to be focused on making medium/medium-high quality gear, I would be surprised.

One other thing: in order to maximize profit you keep the same machines and factory stuff as long as possible, you don't change plans all the time and suddenly start etching things a little larger and deeper etc just for the sake of it. I mean maybe once after you realize the first batch could be better, but delivering random stuff? I don't know.

Last: the chinese copy everything. Fasttech saying their stuff is real Innokin doesn't prove a thing.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I could imagine this with the Vamo, which doesn't even have a brand, but from Innokin which seems to be focused on making medium/medium-high quality gear, I would be surprised.

One other thing: in order to maximize profit you keep the same machines and factory stuff as long as possible, you don't change plans all the time and suddenly start etching things a little larger and deeper etc just for the sake of it. I mean maybe once after you realize the first batch could be better, but delivering random stuff? I don't know.

Last: the chinese copy everything. Fasttech saying their stuff is real Innokin doesn't prove a thing.

I realise that. I also agree about how to maximize profit - but some parts come from other places from the looks of it - the fire button on my FT SVD is exactly like the one on your "legit" SVD. And the side buttons differences -this could also be a difference in what was available and supplied. The UK vaper who bought an SVD back around March of this year reported the same issue as you with the current. And that's the only two times I've heard of it - his was an Innokin.
Do we know for sure that Innokin don't sub-contract?

Looking at Scott Bonners review I could see where mine is the same and wjhere there is a difference. I'd like to look at some other reviews and see how mine compares.
I'm going to be annoyed with FT if they have lied. The mod is still good - but I'd like to know.

I'm going to link this in a couple of places so people can come read for themselves.

Last edited:

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK
Innokin has already called Fasttech goods fake so i dont think you will get anything out of that unless a verified Innokin vendor has a SVD like your Fasttech one.

Can you post a link to that, the only statement I have seen from Innokin is that FT have not bought any from them. Using a 3rd party to purchase from a manufacturer with MRP policy is a fairly standard get around so you can sell at a lower price.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
If it works, who cares? Every online purchase is a bit of a crap shoot. Even the online retailers, for the most part, have no idea where the stuff they get shipped in wholesale is really made. In addition, even the "real" manufacturers change their products with every production run. A "real" SVD today won't be the same as a "real" SVD made a month from now.

I'd say they're likely both "real," just different manufacturing runs.

Nev NYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Bronx, NY
If you watch the field of vapor review on YouTube, he also makes mention of the vibration in the tube. I don't remember where his was purchased but I know he did not mention FT. He also mentioned that there were quite a few changes in design from original production models to newer ones. It's possible that its just that.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Here's a company selling iTaste SVDs - but these don't look likethe ones in the pictures or video - they have a red LED:

The Same Factory As Glass Dome K200,K101,I Taste Mvp Ecig Factory Itaste Svd E Cigarette New Item 2013 - Buy Itaste Svd,K101 Ecig,K200 Ecig Product on Alibaba.com

I looked on alibaba before I ordered mine from FT and at that time couldn't find anything other than Innokin: 3-15w Vv Variable Wattage Itaste Svd I Taste E Cigarette - Buy Itaste Svd,Variable Wattage E-cigarette,I Taste E Cigarette Product on Alibaba.com

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
You certainly have a good eye for detail Plop1. I have a FT SVD myself and it works great but that isn't the point here is it ? I can understand the interchangeable parts or parts substitutions as many of these parts are simply picked up in huge warehouses in China by many different companies ( the same as televisions and stereo receiver electronics). The thing here that makes me lean toward them being copies is the different machining of the part or parts, specifically the larger/different engraving on the tubes. Other things you mentioned/showed are intriguing as well.

This is somewhat of a morality question if we find out proof positive that this is a copy. An interesting post worth following.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread