Did I experience a nicotine overdose??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
Hi. I'm a new vaper (only really started giving it a chance about a week ago). I'm really getting into it now and starting to enjoy it, but I'm a little concerned about just how much nicotine I'm consuming.

A few hours ago, I chain vaped for maybe only 10 minutes (probably the same amount of drags as a regular cig) before feeling violently nauseous and feverish - was pretty scary! I never had that feeling before when I used to chain smoke regular cigarettes. Are you only meant to take a few drags of the vape at a time or something?

Either way, the feeling passed after about 20 minutes but is not something I want to experience again and has made me a little nervous to have a long vape again. Is this common when getting used to vaping? Anyone else had a similar experience at the start? All responses welcome! Thank you :blush:

(By the way I am vaping at 6mg and used to smoke between 10-15 Camel/Marlboro Lights a day).

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Hi. I'm a new vaper (only really started giving it a chance about a week ago). I'm really getting into it now and starting to enjoy it, but I'm a little concerned about just how much nicotine I'm consuming.

A few hours ago, I chain vaped for maybe only 10 minutes (probably the same amount of drags as a regular cig) before feeling violently nauseous and feverish - was pretty scary! I never had that feeling before when I used to chain smoke regular cigarettes. Are you only meant to take a few drags of the vape at a time or something?

Either way, the feeling passed after about 20 minutes but is not something I want to experience again and has made me a little nervous to have a long vape again. Is this common when getting used to vaping? Anyone else had a similar experience at the start? All responses welcome! Thank you :blush:

(By the way I am vaping at 6mg and used to smoke between 10-15 Camel/Marlboro Lights a day).

Alot depends on your mod/tank but that sure sounds like nic sick to me.

I vape at 6mg but I was a 40+ a day smoker for 30+ years. I use 3mg or even 0mg in more powerful set ups.

In my tootle puffer set up 12-24mg isn't enough. When I was low power vaping only it was 18mg non-stop from morning to night trying to get anything out of it.

I'd try what RTG said and do some 3mg for awhile.

Reactions: Roxyco

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
Yep, that sounds like nic sick to me, and if you took the same amount of drags as a cigarette over a 10 minute period it shouldn't have made you sick. Might drop your nic level to 4.5 if you're able with unflavored, or buy some 3mg and give it a whirl.
Thanks for that. But if I go down to a lower mg nicotine, then won't I end up either smoking it more or having more cravings for regular cigs? @coolerat

Last edited:

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
Some people are more vulnerable to nic-sickness than others, especially when the effects are not moderated by
the other toxic chemicals in burning tobacco. You would probably be safe with dropping to 3mg juice.
It's strange though - as it never happened to me before when I used to chain smoke sometimes nearly a pack in a night. I guess vaping is a whole other game... Thanks for the response.

Reactions: JeremyR

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I get now that the lower the nicotine, the more I (personally) can vape. The issue is I'm still having cravings for regular cigs, and worried this will intensify if I lover the nic level too soon....
Do whatever works. I only have suggestions.

The Houdini

Aug 10, 2015
I got nic sick after I to back from Disney, but I vaped not even a whole tank a day everyday when I was there for almost 2weeks. When I got home I chained it like he did and passed out cold between that and my hypoglycemia I thought I needed a trip to hospital.
It passed after about 20-30 minutes. And I have been vaping for over 5yrs.
I also sleep vape.
30 watts 0.08 coils with 100%vg 18mg

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
I got nic sick after I to back from Disney, but I vaped not even a whole tank a day everyday when I was there for almost 2weeks. When I got home I chained it like he did and passed out cold between that and my hypoglycemia I thought I needed a trip to hospital.
It passed after about 20-30 minutes. And I have been vaping for over 5yrs.
I also sleep vape.
30 watts 0.08 coils with 100%vg 18mg
Thanks for the reply - yeah, I think I'll just continue as I am and if it happens again see about dropping down to 3mg. Can I ask (on average) how long it takes you to smoke a full tank? Thanks! :)

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
If you're chain-vaping, don't forget to drink some water. Heck, pump the fluids any time you're vaping. I'm drinking a lot more H2O since I started vaping. Mild dehydration coupled with nic loading could be the cause of what you experienced. I've gotten mild nic-sickness a few times and just quit vaping for a while and loaded the fluids and that does help.

As far as your cravings for cigs go, don't obsess over it. If you have a couple of tanks, keep them loaded with different nic-level juices and hit them as you feel the need. High-nic when you get the craving for a smoke and the lower nic for tootling. I started out with the 12 & 18mg juices and was down to the 6mg juice within a few weeks for my ADV's, and I'm running 3mg in my subs now. I mix up what I hit from throughout the day. You have to experiment a little to find the combinations that work for you, and that'll take a little time. I have every confidence that you'll find your balance point, just like we all did.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Roxy, don't think that's at all unusual for a new vaper. But I don't think it needs be altogether to do with the nic level ingested. We can be hyper-sensitized to anything we consume by stress and anxiety…as by suddenly realizing we just went through a bunch of juice! And yes, it can be accompanied by elevated BP, nausea, headache, etc. if you get there (and mebe really did). Had an incident similar to yours in the first couple of weeks vaping. Realized it, was calm, but my body thought otherwise. Then a few days later went through a good part of a 12mg, 30ml bottle of Tribeca in just constantly vapin' all evening at low power (<10W, eVic))…no problems… and loved it. Still, an episode persists with symptoms multiplying or with acute pain at any time, I'd be lookin' to see an MD. There may be other issues accounting for the sensitivity.

Good luck!

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roxyco

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
If you're chain-vaping, don't forget to drink some water. Heck, pump the fluids any time you're vaping. I'm drinking a lot more H2O since I started vaping. Mild dehydration coupled with nic loading could be the cause of what you experienced. I've gotten mild nic-sickness a few times and just quit vaping for a while and loaded the fluids and that does help.
Really helpful - thank you. I didn't realise you have to keep hydrated and when it happened I had barely drank any water all day. Hoping this is the problem, as I'm finally getting into vaping and really enjoying it! On top of that, I don't really want to go lower than 6mg while I'm still craving cigarettes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread