DIY Ejuice - Vanilla Flavor(s) Taste Like Medecine !?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Od1nOne

Nov 5, 2014
NYC
I had been steeping various ejuice batches based on 30/70 Liquid and a heavy base of Vanilla Custard (CAP), French Vanilla ( Cap), Butterscotch (TFA) Bavarian Cream (TFA), Sweet Cream (TFA) along with other fruit flavors for the kicker, however, I notice that the vanilla and cream flavors in general leave a very distinct medicine after taste. At first I thought this was due to lack of steep time, but 2-3 weeks in and still leaving this medicine like after taste. I separated the individual flavors and let those steep alone and am pretty sure the harshness, medicine like taste is coming form the vanillas.

Have you used the Vanilla Flavors I am referring to from CAP or anywhere else and have gotten positive results? If so what percentage and steeping steps have you employed to gain successful ejuice?

Yes I have warmed the liquids, I have let them breathe, and pretty much tried or employed every suggested mixing method.

My goal is to get a nice rich custard base for my flavors.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Rsunderl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Silver Spring, MD, USA
dragon welcome2.jpg
Hi Od1nOne and welcome to ECF!

Perhaps your recipe has too much flavoring percentages. Too much can be as bad as not enough. Since you are using many flavorings in the same recipe, have you tried lowering the percent of each flavor a bit?

Hope it helps and Happy vaping!

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
As has been said before, I've found that too much flavoring can leave a bitter flavor - almost medicine like. I use the 100-drop method to create my juices so it doesn't take much to change the percentages and if it doesn't work, I'm not throwing out too much. For example, I found that when creating a straight spearmint, you only need 1%. A strong menthol only needs 2%. If your total flavoring percentage is 25% right now, you may need to back it down to 15% to see how that pans out.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!:)

For all things DIY head on over to the DIY ELiquid Forum. Lots of great info in all the "stickies"

Recommended Reading For People New to DYI

For a juice mixing calculator consider using eJuiceMeUp

Here are some threads you may like to read through for different flavoring companies. Many of the posts include recipes and comments about a specific flavor.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/298547-nicotine-comparisons.html <= They don't all taste the same.

1. Flavor Arts (FA) - Pure Vapes has 3ml FlavourArt flavorings
2. The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) - The Flavor Apprentice Flavoring Thread => Also see Bill's Magic Vapor Blogs
3. Inawera (IW) - Inawera - a few reviews
4. Capella (CAP) - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/637270-diy-capellas-recipe-thread-v2-0-a.html
5. Hangsen (HS) - The Hangsen Thread
6. VapingZone (VZ) - New Super Concentrated Flavors & New Super Concentrated Flavors - Part 2
7. Flavor West (FW) - Flavor West DIY flavor review

DIY Recipe Sites

* ECF E-Liquid Recipes <= Feel free to post your recipes here for all members to enjoy
* EcigExpress Archive Cookbook
* E-Liquid-Recipes: http*:*//e-liquid-recipes - (Remove *'s - forum automatically striped this link)
* UK E-Liquid Recipes
* kritikalmass - E-Liquid Recipes
* One Stop DIY Shop - Recipes
* Reddit Recipes - Read the Sidebar

Od1nOne

Nov 5, 2014
NYC
Thanks guys - I am mixing vanilla / custards at roughly about 10-15% of the batch. It just seems that once those vanilla or creams hit my juices they add that awful medicine taste. Those percentages are taken from recipes, some of which are mentioned in Susan's post.

PinkApe is a pseudonym. I am a seasoned tax professional, SEO hobbyist, inventor, philosopher, and independent and free thinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread