Do I want Alcohol Based Natural Flavorings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phalse

ECF Veteran
Hello,

I wanted to try a DIY flavoring that is Not Lorann's, basically extracts and/or flavors that are natural, from plants/fruits.

I mean you can't "flavor" something without some amount of natural sugar/oils and such. I know you want to avoid adding extra amounts of sugar/oil. Even the flavorings used in the ruyan recipe contain small amounts of sugar and oil. I figured, why not try some natural extracts or essences besides Lorann's.
Lorann's says "no-alcohol" but they are "oils", it also says Kosher but not "all natural".
I'm correct to assume Lorann's is Oil based but the people here still use it?
I see many people say not to add extra oils to your juice, but what about "alcohol" based natural flavorings.

So when looking at Natural flavorings, besides Lorann's, do I want the alcohol base flavoring?

Last edited:

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
If you look at the specific ingredients of each flavor on the Lor Ann's site, although they call them all candy "oils", many are not oil based at all. Those that are oil based are the ones to avoid if you want to be more atomizer safe.

A huge number of flavorings are in fact PG based, including the water soluble and non-oil based Lor Ann's and Bickford's.

Some flavorings are alcohol based. I guess it's a matter of personal preference whether you want to use alcohol based flavorings.

Last edited:

Phalse

ECF Veteran
Ok, great! Thanks for the info.

I will try a line of "all natural" flavorings I saw at the store. They are a little cheaper than Lorann's, says they come from plant extracts with 0 added chemicals except the base they use to extract, which is alcohol. It says they dissolve in water also and contain no oils. I'm going to try them out.

If they works for some DIY juice, I will post the brand here. If it tastes horrible and destroys hardware I will also post the brand so people can avoid it.

Thanks,
Talk to you later!

Phalse

ECF Veteran
Oh the reason I even asked about natural flavors is because they say "artificial" flavors are actually safer than natural flavors because the flavorist who mixes them, must use a book that lists safe chemicals which create the flavor.
While nature does not care about creating small or large amounts of toxic chemicals in things like almonds and other foods.

But the catch is, a few reports about natural flavors when inhaled....causing irritation, so they like to use artificial flavors in perfumes, aerosol, etc.

Not sure which is best or what reports to even trust. I do agree with the logic of properly prepared artificial flavors being better to consume than natural flavor extracts. There are doctors reporting that the chemicals are exact between natural and synthetic except the synthetic ones have all poisonous chemicals removed. (unknown toxicity if heated+inhaled)

*also now I see to avoid alcohol based flavorings*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread