Drinking and Vaping??

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S. If anyone has any good thoughts to throw my way regarding my next step, which would be not caving during situation or periods of extreme anger, stress, sadness, fear, anxiety, or any of those other negative emotions that can seem to multiply a normal nic fit by 1000, I would love to hear them!

I still plan to focus mostly on the whole drinking and vaping issue until I sold and conquer that problem, but it is always good to get prepared, and since that is my next goal, it wouldn't hurt to have some knowledge/ideas going into it.

Also, I mention before about having no experienced vapers in my personal life, which kind of sucks. I have read about vaping clubs and groups, but I have been unsuccessful at finding one anywhere near me. I haven't found a single one in my whole state, much less my city, or even county. So, I am curious as if there are any tips or strategies about finding out if there are any such groups around that just require some digging to find, or if I'm just out of luck for now.

If I am out of luck for the moment, I will probably try to start my own vaping group or club, although I have no clue if there are rules to this. like, are there some larger networks to link with, or any sort of way to be like a chapter of a larger group or organization, and if such a thing where possible, how would I initiate such a process?

I feel like a little kid in a candy store now. Before if no one else asked the question I wanted answered, I wouldn't be able to get an answer. Now I can just ask questions myself. I've come to realize it is fairly simple to get information about the e cig hardware and such, but I always found it harder to find information on ideas connected to vaping, such as my drunk vaping question or vaping clubs.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
I think you need to find a big honking mod that will blow your head off with every vape, and produce thick ridiculous clouds, then all desire to smoke analogs (drinking beer, coffee, whatever) will instantly be a thing of the past. Vaping success is predicated upon the performance of the device you are using.....period. Okay comma, it greatly depends on juice as well.

What are you currently using by the way?

nosmoke12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Just wanted to wish you luck on resisting the analogs whilst drinking. I read thru this thread cause just tonight I realized I'm almost at 2 weeks smoke free and have drank a few times since then and it's been difficult to resist. Not that hard when I just have a drink or two, but when I'm downtown with friends and I'm in the mood to have more I get that "oh my god I need a smoke" feeling and I just have to go outside the bar (I haven't been bold enough to ask around if I have to go outside yet) and just vape away for a good 5-10mins, but like a lot of other people have said, having a higher nic juice for such occasions has helped me thus far, and during that time I like having a good tobacco/not sweet flavor loaded up and ready to go, best of luck!

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
Truth be told, I enjoy vaping more when I'm drinking. I always thought that cigarettes tasted the absolute worst when I was drinking alcohol (even though I always smoked more when drinking because of the lowered inhibitions). I was worried about it when I drank for the first time after I started vaping, but I found that I really enjoyed the taste of my e-liquid and couldn't stand the smell of the cigarettes other people were smoking....had absolutely no desire to bum one.

every time I post, someone sneaks in something before I'm done lol. thanks for the welcome and encouragement vrodder and minus.

Vrodder I cant wait to hit that point. as it is now, I am completely fine vaping when I am only having a drink or two, or if I am having a good amount but at a house and not a bar, because I just hang inside and vape, get to avoid the mass of analog smokers gather around their .... cans lol. The problem times for me are when I mix being drunk and being at the bars. I guess I'm fortunate though, when I mix those two words, my biggest risk is smoking a few analogs for a night, whereas I know of a few people who end up risking much worse than that, lol. but thanks, I'm sure I will find my bar setup soon enough, and I too will really want that vape when I drink :).

And Thanks Minus, and same to you. I wish I could have gone at it more like that, believe me I tried all or nothing at first and failed. For me, I guess I had to change my routines, habbits, and basically make my brain change the way it associated things, so I wouldn't have that trigger when doing certain things. That always seemed to be my downfall when quiting before the PVs.

The car is a great example for me, I was a delivery driver at one point in time, and my smoke breaks where basically while I was on runs. it got to the point where, every time I got into my car, I would light up, even when I didn't have a nic craving, I would find my hands moving to my pack and lighter. On some runs I would stub out my analog right before arriving at the house, and I would still light a new one 1 min latter when I got back in my car to head back to store!

Fortunately, I have found that it is much easier to eliminate habits/reflexes like that using e cigs for some reason. I'm not sure why since I seemed to have a problem with the routines and habits, and I would assume vaping wouldn't solve that, since I could just vape whenever I get into my car... maybe its something as simple as not using a lighter, and that is enough for my brain to keep the two as separate habits... I'm not gonna wonder or argue it, guess ill just enjoy the benefits :).

Damn, I believe that I might just be rambling once again... Not to steal lines from awolnation or anything, but I blame it on my ADD baby :p. ANYWAYS, It's awesome to hear that you were able to just stop with the analogs, I guess the journey is different for us all, but as long as we get away from them nasty analogs, then its all good :).

Thanks again to you both, and good luck to you both :)

cloud.nine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I have read about vaping clubs and groups, but I have been unsuccessful at finding one anywhere near me. I haven't found a single one in my whole state, much less my city, or even county. So, I am curious as if there are any tips or strategies about finding out if there are any such groups around that just require some digging to find, or if I'm just out of luck for now.

If I am out of luck for the moment, I will probably try to start my own vaping group or club, although I have no clue if there are rules to this. like, are there some larger networks to link with, or any sort of way to be like a chapter of a larger group or organization, and if such a thing where possible, how would I initiate such a process?

Have you seen the Maine vaper's forum?
Maine State Vapors

It's under Community > Social Group Forums > Location Specific

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
Why not try apply your slowly but surely approach to analogs and drinking? Make a plan for the next 5 or six times you go out partying. Give yourself permission to smoke 5 cigs your first time out. Next time, tell yourself you can smoke four. Next party, have 3, etc. By the 5th or 6th time you will be down to one. Reward yourself with an extra beer or shot for the last time you smoke in a bar.

I bet that by the time you make it to your 2-cig night you may not even want one, as the longer we vape the less we enjoy the stinkies.

Don't know if you party at the same place all the time, but if you have options, look around for a bar where you see a lot of vapers. You can get some moral support from them.

The other night I went out with a bunch of moms from my daughter's class, and I didn't miss the stinkies at all. None of them were smokers so I wouldn't have felt comfortable lighting up around them anyway, and it was so nice just to stay with them all night vaping instead of always excusing myself to go smoke.

StarsandBars, I actually had the same though, and although I don't have it yet, I've been planning on a VV, kinda looking at the volt spinner. I'm probably gonna order one on Friday when I get paid, unless I find something better before then, but I like it because its VV and it fits with all the 808/901 equipment I currently have.

As far as my current setups, I have a weird assortment of stuff. I have, 2 standard/auto v2's, 1 standard/Man v2, 2 standard volt/man, 1 volt stand/auto, 1 G6 standard/man, 1 V4L VapKing Long/man, 1V4L VapKing Stand/man, 1 V4L VapTitan Stand/Auto, V4L Man Passthrough, and a whole assortment of random prefilled cartos, clearos, liquids, and 901 attys and drip tips. I'm still kinda in my experimenting phase, but so far I love my vaping! I've been told I shoulda gone the 501 route due to more options available, but I'm happy with my 808s, and at this point I'm financially obligated to stay with the them anyways lol.

tjmmotox, thanks and congrats on then two weeks :). It seems you had the same problem I have. I Cant wait to get a setup with a stronger juice or flavor and possibly a heavy hitting battery. After hearing others on here, I think that might just solve my problems :). I found a nice Turkish tobacco that comes 36 and 24, think I'll order 1 of each in case 36 is to harsh, and hope it works. I think a nice Turkish would be good at bar, I've been experimenting with fruity and desert flavors recently, and I think that probably isn't good for a drunk night, unless I'm drinking fruity mixed drinks or something like coffee brandy for the choco/vanilla, but I usually drink beer.

Cactus, I'm honestly trying to figure out why I'm like that when I'm drunk, because I am also at the point where analogs are starting to smell and taste bad to me, and that with the right combo vaping compliment pretty much anything! When I'm relaxing with a beer or two, I enjoy the vape flavors, but its just something bout being drunk that does me in. I might just have to many to be able to enjoy the vape feeling/flavor like I normally would... maybe I should try to cut a drink or two drinks outta my drunk nights for now and see if that helps, might not be a bad idea either way.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
When I first started vaping a short few weeks ago, I don't think my E-Cig left my hand except when I was in the shower. Every time I felt an urge, I'd have a vape. There's still days here and there where I clutch on to my gear like it's a lifeline.

Drinking, so far, has luckily not brought out the analog urge strong enough for me to want to put down my e-cig.

Different things work for different people. At least you're on the right path. I've read stories here about folks that went YEARS before they finally put out their last cigarette, and others that stopped the second they started vaping.

Don't be discouraged, and stick with it. It WILL happen, just have patience, strength, and keep looking forward to your first analog-free day - then week - then month....

every time I finish a message, I see new messages I haven't read yet. This place really is great, although on the downside I'm going to be at my computer all night lol :D.

Cloud.Nine, thanks for the info. I believe I did see this around the time I started vaping, and all the posts I saw we're from different parts of the state, but that was months ago, so hopefully ill have better luck now :).

cmdebrecth, thanks for the advice, that was close to the plan I had going anyways, although I currently don't have a pack of analogs to call my own, and I would love to keep it that way, but when I do go out next, I might consider buying singles of a friend, with the goal that the new bar setup will keep them hidden away in a glove box or something all night, but if not, I'll still be ahead in my book, since I believe I can go analog free at this point until then, and that wont be till at least the weekend after this coming weekend.

Unfortunately, Maine has been a little slow jumping on the vapor train. I go to a few different places, and other than one time, the only people I've seen vaping were trying mine lol. So far, Maine seems to be lacking a strong vapor presence, or the vapors just don't know each other yet, but I plan to change that. I've actually got the wheels turning in quite a few friends minds on the whole e cig situation. Many are in the process or at least considering the switch cause they tried my setups and not the corner store disposable.

I have a hope to try to get more businesses to be vape friendly, as of now I know like 5 business I can vape in. A Mall, 3 corner/convenience stores, and my work which is a locally owned beer distribution warehouse. unfortunately, I have found some people are just not ready to accept vaping, which is a shame :/.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I'm not a frequent drinker of alcohol, and I don't drink much even when I do, but when I do I review beers.

When I was a smoker, I could not smoke while reviewing. If I smoked, I had to smoke between beers, cleanse my palate, and then review while mentally "excluding" any lingering smoke flavor/aroma (the flavor was familiar enough to make that feasible to some extent).

I'm concerned about the switch, though. On the one hand, I expect my taste buds will be better, which could improve my reviews. I look forward to that. :thumb:

On the other hand, I'm concerned that vape flavors may interfere. How can I verify that I smell esters in the beer if I've been vaping banana? ;)

I'm thinking that I may have to vape unflavored on nights when I review beers....

jimbothigpen

Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Athens, OH, USA
I've been vaping for just a few weeks now, and I've been smoking for 30 years. Like you, I started at 12 years old, so smoking has always seemed to me as natural a part of my life as pissing. I did quit smoking cold-turkey a while back -- lasted about 2 1/2 years, and, although I felt physically better, I always felt like I was forcing myself not to do something I REALLY REALLY .......ING wanted to do. I'm not convinced that's a healthy way to live, psychologically speaking.

I can't say that vaping has "cured" me... Reference around here to "stinkys" always makes me feel like I need to stand up for an ex-girlfriend. Even after 2+ years of not smoking (pre-vaping), I could be in my backyard and smell when someone drove by smoking a cigarette, and it always smelled so damned good... When I started up again (for which I beat myself up psychologically), it was SO damned easy. Infinitely easier than quitting.

All that being said, this time I've made sure NOT to quit. The first week or so of vaping, I kept on smoking about what I had been. Second week, down to about 3 or 5 smokes. The last week or so, I've been forcing myself to smoke at least one cigarette daily, and I find that one generally does the trick these days. If I'm sipping a nice scotch ale, and that urge hits me, I have another. I don't think I've felt like having more than two for the past week.

Since you've been smoking since roughly the age that your "adult brain" has been settling in, I really don't recommend quitting at all. That 12 to 15 year old range is when so many of your non-rational (not necessarily irrational) and deep-seated preferences are formed, that quitting smoking will very likely make you a crazy old ....... down the road, even if you're no longer addicted the nicotine.

Ask yourself why you want to give up those last few smokes... Health reasons? How often do you go out drinking to the point that you "cave in" and smoke? Even if it's 4 time per week, how many cigarettes does that work out to? A pack per week? That gonna kill you before the beer truck runs you over? Generally, people don't crash their cars or beat their wives or lose their jobs because of smoking, so the "social effects" are probably not a huge factor. Personal milestones? Lift weights! Work up to bench pressing twice your body weight. I'd be willing to bet that's easier than never smoking again, and better for you in the long run.

Keep smoking! Why deny yourself something that's so much a part of your identity? You're vaping, and you like it, so that's taking the place of the vast majority of what you'd otherwise smoke. And don't forget: smoking makes you look cool :).

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
My advice:
Don't be so concerned about it. You now have 2 choices whenever you want to "light up".

One is smoking
The other is vaping.

Personally, if I need to smoke, I smoke. If a vape will do, I vape. I find myself vaping a ton, and smoking very little. If that never changed, I would still be way ahead of the game. A couple of cigs a day is way better than a pack and a half.

Give it time. The longer you go at "very few cigs" the easier it will get to turn "very few" into "none". But I would recommend that you do it at your body's own pace. Give it some time for the other psychoactive components in cigarettes to get out of your system (MAOI's are 2-3 weeks typically). The greatest thing about vaping IMHO is that you CAN cut down cigs gradually (unlike basically EVERY other alternative). Each time you need to smoke you have a choice: Smoke or Vape. In whatever time frame is right for you I bet you'll be picking "Vape" more and more.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I've been vaping for just a few weeks now, and I've been smoking for 30 years. Like you, I started at 12 years old, so smoking has always seemed to me as natural a part of my life as pissing. I did quit smoking cold-turkey a while back -- lasted about 2 1/2 years, and, although I felt physically better, I always felt like I was forcing myself not to do something I REALLY REALLY .......ING wanted to do. I'm not convinced that's a healthy way to live, psychologically speaking.

I can't say that vaping has "cured" me... Reference around here to "stinkys" always makes me feel like I need to stand up for an ex-girlfriend. Even after 2+ years of not smoking (pre-vaping), I could be in my backyard and smell when someone drove by smoking a cigarette, and it always smelled so damned good... When I started up again (for which I beat myself up psychologically), it was SO damned easy. Infinitely easier than quitting.

All that being said, this time I've made sure NOT to quit. The first week or so of vaping, I kept on smoking about what I had been. Second week, down to about 3 or 5 smokes. The last week or so, I've been forcing myself to smoke at least one cigarette daily, and I find that one generally does the trick these days. If I'm sipping a nice scotch ale, and that urge hits me, I have another. I don't think I've felt like having more than two for the past week.

Since you've been smoking since roughly the age that your "adult brain" has been settling in, I really don't recommend quitting at all. That 12 to 15 year old range is when so many of your non-rational (not necessarily irrational) and deep-seated preferences are formed, that quitting smoking will very likely make you a crazy old ....... down the road, even if you're no longer addicted the nicotine.

Ask yourself why you want to give up those last few smokes... Health reasons? How often do you go out drinking to the point that you "cave in" and smoke? Even if it's 4 time per week, how many cigarettes does that work out to? A pack per week? That gonna kill you before the beer truck runs you over? Generally, people don't crash their cars or beat their wives or lose their jobs because of smoking, so the "social effects" are probably not a huge factor. Personal milestones? Lift weights! Work up to bench pressing twice your body weight. I'd be willing to bet that's easier than never smoking again, and better for you in the long run.

Keep smoking! Why deny yourself something that's so much a part of your identity? You're vaping, and you like it, so that's taking the place of the vast majority of what you'd otherwise smoke. And don't forget: smoking makes you look cool :).

Jim,

I agree almost totally!

The only thing I would say different is that smoking might make you look cool, but it doesn't stand a chance against vaping something that looks dangerous!!

But you have nailed it on this one, IMHO:

Last edited:

Hustler

Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
SE Arizona
I smoked 2 packs a day for 18 years. I started vaping off and on, but got serious about it and quit analogs 96 days ago. I still have about 3/4 of a pack in my toolbox in the garage, but they are totally unappealing to me now. Once I forgot to take an extra battery with me and had to go 4 hours at a bar without vaping and my friends kept offering me analogs but they just didn't interest me. I'm finally free of those things and I couldn't be happier about it!!!

leeler

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
I have smoked a long time but usually only when I was drinking. I actually read a study that said there is something about nicotine that when you're drinking alcohol increases delivery and that's why you wanna smoke so bad when you drink. basically they're the perfect combination together. I agree with the poster who said to try and match your drinks to your vape, I find that certain cream liqueurs go well with spicy Vapes, and I find that fruity ones go well with wine. I vape like a choo choo train when I'm drinking now!!:p

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread