Drinking and Vaping??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I've been lurking around the ECF for a few months now, but I finally decided to join :). I'm 24, and I've been smoking since I was 12, and I figured it was time to give it up. So, I've been half smoking/ half vaping for roughly 3 months now. I decided to try to slowly but surly work the analogs out of my life, and I've found that this has actually been working very well. Its been getting easier and easier the more I add to my nice collection of batteries, flavors, pass through, clearos/tanks, ect. I've been going by a method I came up with where I cut the analogs out one milestone at a time. So far this has been great, I started with no smoking inside, then I dealt with the urge to light up when I'm in the car, next I took on not smoking while I have my morning coffee, then I started cutting them out of work, which actually was much easier than originally intended because my work actually lets me vape while I work, inside and out, so I don't have to go outside and vape next to the other guys while they puff on their analogs. anyways, I have 2 major ones left, but I'm still gonna tackle one at a time. my next step is to be able to drink alcohol without giving in to analogs. at this point, I can easily have a drink or two and be content with my vaping, but everyone other week or so I like to just cut lose a bit, and when this happens I have a bad habit of finding the nearest stranger willing to bum a smoke! last weekend I did this and got mad at myself, and actually ended up smoking 2 more analogs the whole rest of my night out, which is a lot less than I would have pre vaping, but I just wanna be able to be done with analogs for good but I don't wanna give up drinking either. Any suggestions, tips, or just encouragement would be awesome, even if you not V.W.I like me!

webersp

Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Hamilton, OH
Cutting out the analogs when you're drinking, in my opinion, is the most difficult. It's difficult because when you're drinking you just aren't as rational, so you're not worried about regretting your cigarette in the morning. I was able to quit when I was drinking by keeping a separate clearomizer with a higher nicotine content for when I was drinking. Normally vaping 25-30mg was way too much, but when I was drinking, that's what I needed to feel like I was getting enough to avoid a real cigarette.

I also had a good experience using a smaller ecig, like the Halo G6, when drinking to make it feel more like the real thing.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Paragraph breaks are your friends. :)

I actually enjoy vaping even more when knocking back a few cold ones. The alcohol helps cleanse the palate and improves the flavor delivery of the vapor.

I used to think that I would need higher nic strength to get through those moments of temptation where my decision-making ability is compromised by the beer. But the reverse is actually true. If I try a drag on some 24mg Boba's Bounty or a Cohiba liquid, it kicks like a mule.

Edit: Heh. And Weber's post above mine just demonstrates that all mileages differ here.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi and welcome to ECF. Have you considered upping your nic level while drinking?
It really shouldn't be a concern as others have reported issues with staying off the analogs while drinking. Be patient, stay positive and move forward and 1 day it will "completely" click.
Most importantly rather than "beat yourself up" give yourself a pat on the back for your accomplishments thus far...I do :thumbs:
or...
:toast:

Last edited:

webersp

Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Hamilton, OH
Paragraph breaks are your friends. :)

I actually enjoy vaping even more when knocking back a few cold ones. The alcohol helps cleanse the palate and improves the flavor delivery of the vapor.

I used to think that I would need higher nic strength to get through those moments of temptation where my decision-making ability is compromised by the beer. But the reverse is actually true. If I try a drag on some 24mg Boba's Bounty or a Cohiba liquid, it kicks like a mule.

Edit: Heh. And Weber's post above mine just demonstrates that all mileages differ here.

I definitely agree with this now that I'm totally off analogs, but when I was still trying to get off of them I found it to be more difficult when drinking.

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA
I find if I'm enjoying a 'beverage', vaping a more tobacco, less sweet, juice helps. Halo's Torque56 or Longhorn works for me plus they both have good throat hits at 1.2mg which is another thing I crave more when drinking. Smoking a cigarette when having a drink was soooo enjoyable but now I don't even think about going to an analog.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The biggest obstacle I had was getting over the anxiety of being out of cigarettes!

When I was a smoker, I would never run out. I might sometimes have been smoking the last one in the pack on my way to the corner store, but I was never completely out.

Making myself not buy another pack was the hardest step to take, but I eventually took it.

The milestone approach is smart. Not giving in when under the influence will be tough. It was for me, but the PANIC proved to be the bigger monkey to get off my back.

Thanks for such a warm welcome everyone, I shoulda joined when I first found this place months ago.

and IBCR Media, I will try to put more breaks in my writing for ya, although I never was very good at proper format in English comp class.

So the biggest tip im getting is don't give up and do some experimenting. the different set up would kind of make since, since I have a work set up, a car set up, a home set up, and a out and about set up, guess its time to create that bar night set up lol. Luckily I don't have to many wild nights these days, and if im just having a couple beer, I have no problems. luckily, this is gonna be a quite weekend, so I have a good amount of time before I run into this problem again lol.

Now, I do have one problem, I vape mostly 24mg already, and I have a couple liquid that are 18mg, but I don't believe the companies I've been using offer anything above 24mg. does anyone have any companies they can recommend me trying?

and thanks vapoor eyes, I will. I'm an optimist, so I always try to focus more on accomplishment than on failures. I'm thinking of every analog I haven't smoked since starting to vape, not all the ones I have.

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
I suggest you up your nic when you're out drinking and maybe come up with a "Happy Hour" setup. I got myself dehydrated the first weekend with my Provari.

The thing with analogs is, you know when you're done. I was vaping CC Vapes 0mg 70/30 Vertigo and I did three tanks in around 3 hours. I had not need to bum a smoke from anyone. I did wind up with a monster headache that night and following day due to being dehydrated (even though I was knocking back a few Lone Stars).

I only smoked on Sundays (band practice) and Tuesdays (Happy Hour), so I understand wanting an analog while drinking, but when I started vaping, as long as I was blowing clouds, I didn't need an analog.

Good luck to you.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
I had the same issue as IBCR. I actually carried a partial pack for a few weeks after I stopped them completely. It was like a bizarre security blanket. (A rather twisted one too in hindsight) But it worked. I took stinkies with me when I intended to drink even though I did not intend to smoke them. I also found I have 2 flavors I vape only when drinking (no idea why?) and just knowing that I HAD the cigarettes made it easier. I went out several times and did not smoke - I vaped happily. I eventually retired that pack to a drawer in my kitchen and just recently threw them away...but knowing I had them made it less like a "MUST HAVE CIGARETTE" feeling.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Now, I do have one problem, I vape mostly 24mg already, and I have a couple liquid that are 18mg, but I don't believe the companies I've been using offer anything above 24mg. does anyone have any companies they can recommend me trying?

I DIY and live outside the U.S. but I know there are juices out there higher than 24 mg. Realize also you could mix diff % of 24 mg and 36 mg in the same flavor and end up with 28, 30, 32 mg, etc. You're not really stuck with 12, 18, 24 or 36 mg. Not a recommendation BUT I vaped 36 mg for my first 3 months.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
Hi everyone. I've been lurking around the ECF for a few months now, but I finally decided to join :). I'm 24, and I've been smoking since I was 12, and I figured it was time to give it up. So, I've been half smoking/ half vaping for roughly 3 months now. I decided to try to slowly but surly work the analogs out of my life, and I've found that this has actually been working very well. Its been getting easier and easier the more I add to my nice collection of batteries, flavors, pass through, clearos/tanks, ect. I've been going by a method I came up with where I cut the analogs out one milestone at a time. So far this has been great, I started with no smoking inside, then I dealt with the urge to light up when I'm in the car, next I took on not smoking while I have my morning coffee, then I started cutting them out of work, which actually was much easier than originally intended because my work actually lets me vape while I work, inside and out, so I don't have to go outside and vape next to the other guys while they puff on their analogs. anyways, I have 2 major ones left, but I'm still gonna tackle one at a time. my next step is to be able to drink alcohol without giving in to analogs. at this point, I can easily have a drink or two and be content with my vaping, but everyone other week or so I like to just cut lose a bit, and when this happens I have a bad habit of finding the nearest stranger willing to bum a smoke! last weekend I did this and got mad at myself, and actually ended up smoking 2 more analogs the whole rest of my night out, which is a lot less than I would have pre vaping, but I just wanna be able to be done with analogs for good but I don't wanna give up drinking either. Any suggestions, tips, or just encouragement would be awesome, even if you not V.W.I like me!

It helps if the flavor you're vaping doesn't clash with what you're drinking. Maybe stick to a tobacco flavor during those times and you'll be less likely to light up. I know that's how I finally dumped my morning and before bed analogs, by using a tobacco flavor.

The biggest obstacle I had was getting over the anxiety of being out of cigarettes!

When I was a smoker, I would never run out. I might sometimes have been smoking the last one in the pack on my way to the corner store, but I was never completely out.

Making myself not buy another pack was the hardest step to take, but I eventually took it.

The milestone approach is smart. Not giving in when under the influence will be tough. It was for me, but the PANIC proved to be the bigger monkey to get off my back.

I still have one left in my last pack. I keep it there "just in case" to ease my mind but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to need it.

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
If you continue to have issues you may wish to consider WTA juice for those nights out. There are a very small percentage (10%) of vapers that found WTA to be of great help
WholeCig
Aroma Ejuice Manufacturer of WTA Whole Tobacco Alkaloid Eliquid
An explanation of WTA:
FAQ

My advice though would be to only use WTA as a last resort.
Best of Luck.

I can only recommend Aroma. It took me six months to quit completely, but you sound like you are quicker than I was, CMancini. Also, the idea of having an "emergency backup" helped too. I still have an unopened pack in the glovebox of my car, and I'll be "darned" if I'll ever open them.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I still have one left in my last pack. I keep it there "just in case" to ease my mind but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to need it.

Its funny how the mind works ...

I still have my last half-pack of analogs, in a plastic bag. Thought about getting one of those "Break Glass In Case Of Emergency" boxes, and keeping it there ...

Quit drinking 22 years ago, and kept one last beer in the fridge "just in case". Its still there, unopened, a monument to stubborness ... :D

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I'm coming to realize I should have stopped lurking and signed up for ECF a long time ago! I really have gotten some awesome ideas/info from everyone replies, not to mention lots of support/encouragement, which might be more important at this point.

I believe a different nicotine solution, maybe with a higher nic content, or a stronger taste, or better throat hit, or maybe a mix of the three, would be a good starting point. I have begun to realize that in my pre vaping days, I would sometimes smoke 2 and on occasion even 3 cigarettes when I would go outside to smoke. For some reason, this was only at the bar I would smoke like this, and it seemed like no matter how much I smoked, I just couldn't satisfy my nic fit anyways, so having a setup with a strong feel seems like it would be just as satisfying as my old chain smoking habits.

On a side note, I don't know many vapers in my personal life, it still kind of rare in my area, although I have noticed an increase in awareness and even better, a spike in curiosity from my smoker friend and even strangers. So out of the few vapers I do know, almost all of them have less experience with vaping than I do myself.

so... on a side note of the side note, I almost got a cop to try mine once. While his partner was running my friends lic, reg, and insur, this officer was inquiring as to if it actually worked for me, and I told him yes, then offered him to try it. After a short hesitation, he declinded, which I cant blame him for, I am kinda weird lol.

I always get so excited when I meet a new vaper or discover a friend has started vaping that I forget it takes some time to learn it all. I start asking the 20 questions, like what company, battery types, threads, prefilled or liquids?, mods, ect. Unfortunately, I usually get a blank stare followed by "I dunno man, I just use (insert gas station brands here) that I got at the store". I'm just glad they speak up and cut me off before I go off into the world of dripping and attys. It sucks not having many knowledgeable vapers around in my personal life, although I see these confused stares as an opportunity to educate someone to how vast the wonderful world of vaping is :).

Back to my point,(sorry I get easily sidetracked), but it is really nice to have people who have a large array of experience, opinions, and knowledge to share. It really has made a difference already. I am now armed with some new insight, and ideas to use, and I can't wait to experiment until I find my perfect setup.

And although I now have a lot of good information, if anyone has something to add, please do. I always like to look at a situation from every possible angle. Even if you think that what you we're thinking of posting is insignificant or even stupid, I can tell you it probably isn't, and it might even be just the piece of the puzzle someone like me is missing. :).

Anyways, thanks again everyone for making my first day and first thread on ECF such a good one, and for giving me such great tips, ideas, info, and encouragement! HAPPY VAPING :)!!!

Minus-1

Oct 3, 2013
T0R0NT0 CANADA
More power to ya, bro. And good luck to you.

I quit analogs the day I started vaping and it hurt. There's no way, I knew, that I could vape and smoke at the same time. I guess I'm an all or nothing kind'o guy. :)

Got over the analog withdrawals reasonably quick though and was more plagued by migraines, quitzits and sinusitis more than anything else. All these issues arose after stopping the analogs and in fact, I'm still fighting them now.

Still worth it in the long run. Workouts are a breeze now. :)

Keep it up, and keep the faith!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread