ECF Google search and Kirsch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flarg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2012
Here
When I change the site style to "Kirsch 2" (tried it using Chrome on XP and Safari and Dolphin on iPad), only one search field appears at the top of the ECF wesbite, and when I enter something to search, I am just directed to "www.google.com/cse/". I don't know what "Kirsch 2" really means, I just thought I'd experiment with different site looks, and "Kirsch 2" looks the same as "Kirsch" to me except I've got that search problem.

Also, I just noticed that the top banner is different when I use different browsers on different devices. I don't know if that has to do with cache or cookies or something, but I've been using Chrome on my laptop and then Safari on the iPad for looking at ECF, but just now with trying to test out my problems I thought I'd try Dolphin, where I'd need to sign in for the first time, and in Dolphin I get the new ECF banner (the one without the person holding an e-cig).

I hope that makes sense, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Just thought I'd mention in case these were little programming blips. It at least was frustrating for me with being on the iPad and not being able to search ECF at all, but then I just set it back to Kirsch and everything was hunky dory. I don't know what's up with me not seeing the new banner in Chrome and Safari, but perhaps when I clear all my data and restart it'll show everything anew.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
vb4 - main, which includes the new header, should be the default skin now. but if you had your preferences set in other browers they won't change until you manually change the skin.
as smokeyjoe mentioned, some of the older skins, i.e. kirsch, will no longer be supported. you can use them but you're stuck with the idiosyncrasies. your best bet from now on will be vb4 - main

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
ECF 1 is the new default template (skin). You won't see it when logged in because you most likely have a different skin set as your personal choice - in other words the forum knows that 'Flarg' wants Kirsch or whatever as their skin. You can change that either by the spin box at the bottom left of the page or in your Profile.

Kirsch is the #2 now, although it will probably stay as it is and not be upgraded/changed as time goes on.

Kirsch 2 was an experimental step before ECF 1 and will most likely be deleted.

Blackend Red and Blackend Orange are dark background skins that some prefer. There is less glare from a white or light page with these. Some have visual issues that mean these dark templates are better, some just prefer them.

Eventually we hope to have dark templates based on the ECF 1 skin.

The Mobile templates are stripped-down versions that are easy for mobile devices to display, and also good for people on slow connections because there is less overhead so that these skins load faster. You basically just get the text without any fancy display. One might work better or look better than the others, depending on the device you're using.

Also you can use Tapatalk or ECF apps on your mobile, which may expand the functionality for you.

If you can't see the new ECF-1 skin, please clear your browser cache and cookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread