ecigs in stores of Canada & public awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasti

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Toronto
I would like to discuss the availability of ecigs in stores and the "readiness" of the general public to accept them.

I've presented this idea of "electronic cigarette" to a few people and I find that people have a hard time conceptualizing a change into their daily lives.

Buying online is still the biggest obstacle - this is coming from a 20yo university female student. (very heavy smoker... )

I've spoken to several mom/pop stores where I pick up my analogs, many dont know or only have very vague idea of what is. But I remember seeing an article of some retailers carrying them already? Is this possible yet in Canada?

sheep

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Based on the reaction of coworkers, and the crowd out in the smoking area (I still go outside to vape) I think the public is ready to embrace these. I've had several people ask me for the link to where I bought them, and these are people who have probably never shopped online. I think a lot more people would be open to them if there were in stores.

nojoyet

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
Canada, near Vancouver
Can anyone find new articles or some sort of document that addresses Canada's position with ecigs?...

Nothing new that I am aware of.

Go to the University of Alberta site, www.tobaccoharmreduction.org look under electronic cigarette and you should should find a link to Health Canada's advisories from last March.

tossedmycookies

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Winnipeg
Can anyone find new articles or some sort of document that addresses Canada's position with ecigs?...

Health Canada Advises Canadians Not to Use Electronic Cigarettes

Advisory
2009-53
March 27, 2009
For immediate release
OTTAWA - Health Canada is advising Canadians not to purchase or use electronic smoking products, as these products may pose health risks and have not been fully evaluated for safety, quality and efficacy by Health Canada.
These products come as electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos and pipes, as well as cartridges of nicotine solutions and related products. These products fall within the scope of the Food and Drugs Act, and under the Act, require market authorization before they can be imported, advertised or sold. The sale of these health products is currently not compliant with the Food and Drugs Act since no electronic smoking products have been granted a market authorization in Canada.
In recent months, a number of electronic cigarettes, cigars and pipes as well as cartridges of nicotine solutions and related products have been marketed in Canada, and through the Internet. Most of these products are shaped and look like their conventional counterparts. They produce a vapour that resembles smoke and a glow that resembles the tip of a cigarette. They consist of a battery-powered delivery system that vapourizes and delivers a liquid chemical mixture that may be composed of various amounts of nicotine, propylene glycol, and other chemicals.
Nicotine is a highly addictive and toxic substance, and the inhalation of propylene glycol is a known irritant. Although these electronic smoking products may be marketed as a safer alternative to conventional tobacco products and, in some cases, as an aid to quitting smoking, electronic smoking products may pose risks such as nicotine poisoning and addiction. Please visit the Health Canada website for further information about nicotine and addiction.
While no electronic smoking product has yet been authorized for sale in Canada, Health Canada has authorized the sale of a number of smoking cessation aids, including nicotine gum, nicotine patches, nicotine inhaler, and nicotine lozenges.
Electronic smoking products, including their nicotine cartridges, must be kept out of the reach of children at all times, given the risk of choking or nicotine poisoning. Nicotine is hazardous to the health and safety of certain segments of the population such as children, youth, pregnant women, nursing mothers, people with heart conditions, and the elderly.
Persons importing, advertising or selling electronic cigarette products in Canada must stop doing so immediately. Health Canada is providing information to interested stakeholders on how to apply for the appropriate market authorizations and establishment licences.
Canadians who have used e-cigarette products and are concerned about their health should consult with a health care practitioner.
Complaints involving electronic smoking products can be reported to the Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate by calling the toll-free hotline at 1-800-267-9675, or by writing to:
Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate
Health Canada
Address Locator: 2003C
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K9
You can also contact a Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate Regional Operational Centre.
Please visit the Health Canada website to view the Notice to Stakeholders regarding E-Cigarettes.

nasti

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Toronto
Thanks tossedmycookies!
very good info.

I have been ponding how and what to bring to market the last little while.
Without knowing the legal bounds, its hard to know what to work around :)

The article suggests a clear discription for ecigs preventing the sale in Canada. But using some suggestions mentioned in other posts, there could be some work arounds, let me know what you think!

1) Problem: Name - e-cigarettes.
Answer: Replace ecigs with vaperizor, atomizer or any common ones found on forum

2) Problem: clear discription of what it does and components
Answer: Variation - change one aspect of traditional ecig and sell with carts of 0nic in stores. (If they like it, they can order online from trusted vendors ;p)

Any gaps in my logic?

Why I would like to do this...
If the general public's opinion of ecigs is tainted, the only real way to change their perspective is to put it in their hands so they can judge per their experience not what they are told.

Its the 20th century but ecommerce has a long way to go to replace malls... or convenience stores... (for smokers)

dk2

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
cheers
Health Canada makes the mistake of assuming that ecigarretes are drug delivery devices and that they fall under their jurisdiction in the Food and Drug Act; umm hold on that's not yet to be decided or challenged in a court of law. Anyone can make the opposite claim as E-cigarettes as e-cigarettes are also used without nicotine most venders sell both non nicotine and nicotine e-liquids on their sites.

Health Canada and the FDA you have no right to my e-cigarette so "quit" trying to act like you do, if you really want to protect your citizens go after Big Tobacco and the rules that they've been able to skirt around for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread