Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Take a picture and post it here. I want to see it.
Mishap on my 14500. Knocked it off my dresser and the threads of the battery tube broke off. Made a clean break. The threads remained on the body.

Thinking about trying to use JB Weld to reconnect the threads to the battery tube.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Take a picture and post it here. I want to see it.

14500.jpg :ohmy:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
What metal is it? Aluminum? Steel?

I can't really tell from the pic...is it a clean metal break where it used to be all one piece? Or was it a ring of threads that press-fit into the tube? I assume it used to be one piece...

I was thinking solder might be easier for you to work with. But...if it is not solderable metal....

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
What metal is it? Aluminum? Steel?

I can't really tell from the pic...is it a clean metal break where it used to be all one piece? Or was it a ring of threads that press-fit into the tube? I assume it used to be one piece...

I was thinking solder might be easier for you to work with. But...if it is not solderable metal....

It is stainless. The ring with the threads was one piece with the battery tube. It is a very clean break. Do you think solder would hold?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You theoretically can. You'll need to carefully sand it and use gloves to avoid getting any grease on it. Also silver solder and probably a torch.

You'll burn the paint...may want to remove it 1st and repaint later. Also don't breath the fumes...get good ventilation. It's not easy...copper is easy to solder. Gold too. Stainless...not so much.

How to Solder Stainless Steel - YouTube

Google "solder stainless steel". The whole thing may be more trouble than it's worth (and I'm broke...so I'm not at all being frivolous with your money when I say that).

Soldering 101 - (quick abbreviated version)

What you do is:
A) Make sure the parts are clean and grease free.
B) Scuffing it up with fine sand paper helps sometimes.
C) you heat the parts...not the solder. When the parts are hot enough to melt the solder they will form a molecular bond with it.
D) Flux helps the solder flow and helps clean the metals and remove oxides so they bond.

All of this heating assumes it's just the metal involved...no batteries and/or electronics (I think that's the other part in your pic...not the part you're soldering).

1st thing I'd check .... ask some venders if they sell replacement tubes....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread