Evod rebuild fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
Sorry if this is technically in the wrong section

So in a rather bemusing set of circumstances, I appear to have fried the wire on my new EVOD rebuild within the first hour of use.

Everything was fine until I put on a fully charged EGO-C 650 battery and then it started to taste funny...then, nothing. No vapour, no flavour, nothing. I've just taken it apart and the wire is snapped so there was no connection. It was the wire down the centre of the rubber bung but beyond that, I'm stumped!

I was using 0.2mm Kanthal wire and 3mm silica wick... I'd wrapped it a good 5 times to ensure I was getting about 2.5Ohm resistance as I prefer that to the 1.8 as it tastes less burnt- at least from the premades I've been using. Resistance, btw, was tested using a multimeter...

Does anyone have any advice, please?x

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It sounds to me like you were not getting an even coil glow and that one of the legs (the one that snapped) was getting hot instead. If that happens the coil has the juice and the leg that is getting hot has nothing to cool it the way the coil does and it will snap like a fuse.
If you watch some of the videos on building coils, for other RDA/RBA devices you will see that this is common and how to work out the hot spots.

Maybe this one will help, skip to about 9:15 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHsfdlGacTc

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Replication of kanger factory coils is futile. They have fairy godparents or something. I finally built one last night that I don't hate. Barely.

The stock coils have low resistance wire leads on the legs... soldered to the higher resistance wire that make up the coils. This helps reduce the chance of a hot leg. But Compound wires like that are hard to make.

A well made coil will perform just as good as stock though... give it another shot and mind the leg placements.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Sounds to me like crossed legs is the culprit. Easy to do when you put it all together and don't have the pieces set firmly enough.

I've rebuilt almost 50 evod and T3S and T3 coils from originals and haven't seen any evidence of low or non-resistance wire used from the factory in any of my kanger coils.

Aoi~

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Sunny So. Cal
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ictorial-evod-rewicking-cotton-recoiling.html

Look at the picture around the middle where he doubled up the legs and twist them together. This lowers the resistance on the legs, so that it doesn't glow/burn the rubber insulator. Ideally, imho, NR-R-NR setup should work best when rebuilding these. I remember Madvapes had premade NR-R-NR kanthals @ 1.7 and 2.5 ohms if you don't have a zapper handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread