FDA Seizing Shipments – Game of Dice or Do We Have Rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidzx

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
New Jersey, USA
As we all know, Jude Leon’s ruling to lift blocks of electronic cigarette shipments was out-ruled by the recent appeal granted to the FDA.

But the big question is:

What prerogatives and boundaries are granted to the FDA in this appeal?

If the FDA was given TOTAL power to block all ecig shipments – then why are eCigs still here?

Mostly because they come through small EMS shipments, BUT – when those shipments get inspected and when US Customs contacts the FDA, sometimes the FDA allows entry to some ecig merchandise. As a supplier, I have had a few shipments inspected by customs – and lo and behold they we’re released.

So is it pure vague – or is there a protocol?

I was considering having my merchandise from China transported by ocean freight because I live only moments away from the Port of New York/Newark. A 20’ container from Shenzhen, China to New York would go for around $2500USD.

At that rate, shipping cost would go for pennies on the kit! Calculating the measurements – an eGo kit would ship for $0.50, and a box of 1,000 atomizers would go for coffee money.

In terms of shipping via ocean freight - are there slightly concrete rights that we have – or does it all come down to catching the FDA on a good mood?

Consider Blu, Smoking Everywhere, NJoy, Vapor Corp ---

JUST HOW, do they get their mass volume merchandise? Through the regular postal mail by EMS?

How does Blu and all the other top players get their hundreds or even thousands of kits and parts in inventory? They must ship via freight (Air or Ocean) and how do they get around the FDA?

BOTTOMLINE

What clause or codes in the recent appeal specifically announce the FDA rights in seizing shipments of electronic cigarettes?

Do the codes simply imply that the FDA can do WHATEVER it feels like?

Can the FDA stop the importation of baby powder because its "could" be considered a drug? Can the FDA block all shipments of harmless Propylene Glycol because its used in antifreeze? Can the the FDA say lets grab some gasoline and burn down the white house?

When it comes to shipping eCigs - HOW FAR CAN THE FDA GO?

And most importantly, what is the general outlook for the proceeding case with NJoy vs FDA? Based on the circumstances and parties involved – what are your predictions, thoughts, suggestions?

In wake of all the VAUGENESS and uncertainty that constitute the largest proportion of all these threads – what is your predicted prognoses? What is your best guess with cited resources?

Is it a game of dice? Or can we find a safe harbor in the circumstances of law?

IF ITS STILL A GAME OF DICE, HOW CAN WE BETTER PLAY THE GAME?

Last edited:

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
David, the case is merely ON appeal - the FDA has won NOTHING yet. The stay pending appeal merely put Judge Leon's grant of the injunction against the FDA on hold, while the appeal is progressing toward a decision.

Hopefully, they will not win the appeal either.

The case is scheduled for oral argument in late September. The decision is expected possibly by November.

Finally, the case only involved SE and Njoy in any event. Nothing in Judge Leon's ruling was directly applicable to any other supplier's shipments. The fact is that the seizure of shipments has been selectively carried out in a scatter shot fashion - the FDA never (yet) engaged all its resources in an attempt to block any and all shipments. Who knows what they would decide to do, in terms of greater enforcement, IF they were to win the appeal.

skinny

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Los Angeles Ca. USA
www.vapage.com
Maybe it's time to pick this great question back up again. Now that the new ruling came down 12/7/10 what does it mean for other vendors?
Will shipments be released?
Will shipments from this day forward be allowed?
Will there be a period where things are normal until the FDA comes up with regulations.

Love to hear some solid responses about this

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Skinny, I don't believe anyone here will be able to address you question with authority. The FDA has been known to not follow court orders. If you search Life Extension you should be able to better understand how they have reacted in the past. Also, this wasn't a class action, it and the ruling only applies to NJOY. I'm not a lawyer, but I think precedence may have been set although the FDA COULD keep stopping other shipments and force every company to fight them.

They don't play necessarily play fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread