FT Stingray X vs GS PAPS clones

Status
Not open for further replies.

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Hey all. I'm shopping for mech mods (1st) and am looking at a FT Stingray X clone, a FT GS PAPS clone (brass), and a Nemesis. Well, not really the Nemesis- no tool set here aside from a few necessities and no desire to get a full set until I'm more settled...wherever (overseas atm), but felt the need to throw that in anyway. The Stingray X seems the best buy, except I really can't get down with how it looks. The brass gs paps clone (or the "pa-ps style") does seem to get a lot of support from its fans though. I'm veering toward it atm, but am trying to find anything that'll be an issue or a huge hassle. Mmm...does anyone with experience with the two want to chime in?
==
The Astro telescoping mech clone seems fun too... hm.
(This is how it starts, isn't it? The descent to complete and utter addiction, the collection of precious "shiny"s...)

Last edited:

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I have a smpl mod from fast tech its very good but not for everyone as its a hybrid top and the 510 screw of your atomiser needs to stick out from the outer casing.

The stingray x - Is another that I have looked at and probably on my short list with a couple of others.

First Ive read of this paps one though does get a good review score on there. I'll add it to the short list.

If you just had 18650 batteries then the paps looks good. If you use different size batteries and prefer magnet switch the stingray x looks good.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
What he said

Many times the mags provide a better Resistance then a spring. Many mods you can not stand up on a spring will stand just fine on mags without firing. They dont wear down and they change the feel of the button stroke.
I was looking at the brass stingrayx myself and waiting for the brass pa-ps to restock so i can make hybrids with both.

In the fasttech forums they have the pa-ps ( thats how fasttech named it) with the senio hybrid dripper pics and it looks bad to the bone.

Last edited:

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
No "super subohming"? O NO! Whatever will I do?!!?!

Nah, I don't care very much about pushing my batteries. It's more something to take out and smack around, something for longer hikes and whatnot w/o worrying about failing electronic parts. And security. =)

Also, you guys might know this- once FT lists an item as "Out of Stock" or "Sold Out," do they restock (or have they been restocking) or is the item out for good? I'm guessing it depends on the item, but what've been the trends you've noticed? Both the Astro Telescopiic Mech Mod + PA-PS Mod seem to be "Sold Out." Sad face.

$13.95 *SALE* Astro Telescopic Mechanical Mod - stainless steel+brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$15.38 *SALE* PA-PS Style 18650 Mechanical Mod - brass tube at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
They restock as soon as they can, it doesnt help that 1 it is chinese new years and the country shuts down and 2 the pa-ps is possibly the most popular clone they have ever sold lo.l from what i have read they got the button exact on the clone.

The only time to worry at FT is when the big black discontinued banner comes out on a product page lol

From a ft forum thread - actual product
n6qkGkt.jpg

I want that paaps senio hybrid!!

Last edited:

javyn

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
houston
The Paps clone you linked earlier alljoking will never come back in stock. The Paps FT sells now have a ring machined around the base in order to remove the GP logo. Most people hate it but I turn it upside down with the vent holes and the ring close to the atomizer so it doesn't look so bad.

Also, the spring in the Paps switch cannot handle builds lower than 0.5 ohm. I've gotten the authentic brass spring from Vapourart and swapped it out, it's better and a nicer throw, but still gets hot below 0.5.

I use a thicker gauge spring I harvested and cut down from a sample cologne spritzer in there when I want to use the Paps with my 0.3 ohm builds. I also sanded the contact point on the switch a little to improve contact, and put 2 paper washers I made under the nut.

Also, the Paps tubes are 20x1mm threaded, so you can use the hybrid atomizers right on it without a top cap, like the Heron and Aqua V2.

PyP3V2r.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The Paps clone you linked earlier alljoking will never come back in stock. The Paps FT sells now have a ring machined around the base in order to remove the GP logo. Most people hate it but I turn it upside down with the vent holes and the ring close to the atomizer so it doesn't look so bad.

Also, the spring in the Paps switch cannot handle builds lower than 0.5 ohm. I've gotten the authentic brass spring from Vapourart and swapped it out, it's better and a nicer through, but still gets hot below 0.5.

I use a thicker gauge spring I harvested and cut down from a sample cologne spritzer in there when I want to use the Paps with my 0.3 ohm builds. I also sanded the contact point on the switch a little to improve contact, and put 2 paper washers I made under the nut.

Also, the Paps tubes are 20x1mm threaded, so you can use the hybrid atomizers right on it without a top cap, like the Heron and Aqua V2.

PyP3V2r.jpg

Mine was the Hotcig version and it can handle .2 with no problems.
Not sure who made the one you posted.

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
If you would consider focalecig instead of fasttech (not sure if they ship to where you are but worth looking at) you should look at the SXK Stingray X. Very good quality, only slightly more expensive than the FT stingray x. Regarded as one of the best Stingray X clones out there, and one of the best clone mechs period.

$29.47-$30.00 SXK Stingray X Clone Mechanical Mod -

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Thanks all for the re:s! I really wish I could change the title to Astro v. GS PAP (or whatever it's called now) because the more I look at it, the less the Stingray X appeals to me, aesthetically-speaking. It seems like a bunch of people are really into the looks of it (or don't care), but it's not really for me. I really dig the look of the gavyn's mod there, sleek as a bullet ready lounging besides the chamber. Sad.

Both mech mods seem to have loyal fan bases and are reported to perform excellently. The PA(p)'s brass looks stunning (as shown above), but the smell might be off-putting (at least, from reading what ppl say) and though, I really like the idea of a telescopic mech mod, the "full kit" kinda negates that (unsure of my battery needs [or even quality supplies here]). I'm not planning on subohming like a subterranean, but who knows- I also wasn't planning on seriously considering mechmods. All-to-say, it's still a "tie." Good thing I'm not anxious to upgrade (or downgrade, I guess technically-speaking) from my current gear. Maybe I'll flip a coin on it when I'm all set to order. Thanks all!

(Suppose it's not too late to ask for the difference between the Astro telescopic v. gp paps(or whatever) in terms of reliable performance and fiddle-free use? (Or rather, is there any reason I should gravitate toward one?) I literally searched/found out about said mod right after making the OP)

Last edited:

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
I know you have moved past the SRX. I have both the SRX by SXK and the PaPs from FT. For me, I can say that the PaPs hands down gets my vote. It just works better, the switch is so much better than SRX. I can build it down to my preferred .3ohm with zero hot button issues. This is the one I have, $12.16 Brass + Stainless Steel 18650 Mechanical Mod - brass tube at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping, and would have bought two for less than the SRX had I'd known how well it works. Plus the 20x1 threading for hybrid for my aqua is nice thought I just mostly use it for atties.

javyn

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
houston
I dunno what mine is. I ordered it in early September (the 3 tube set from FT), and my order was held up over a month b/c that was the exact time they switched over from the logo version to the logo-less ring.

Mine was the Hotcig version and it can handle .2 with no problems.
Not sure who made the one you posted.

javyn

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
houston
Hey sorry I missed this earlier, I haven't used the Astro so can't comment on that, but my Paps has proven to definitely not be fiddle free. The 510 pin often comes loose when you change batteries so I find myself having to re-tighten the top cap pins every time I drop the batt. Not a big deal to me, but I can see how it would aggravate people.

Thanks all for the re:s! I really wish I could change the title to Astro v. GS PAP (or whatever it's called now) because the more I look at it, the less the Stingray X appeals to me, aesthetically-speaking. It seems like a bunch of people are really into the looks of it (or don't care), but it's not really for me. I really dig the look of the gavyn's mod there, sleek as a bullet ready lounging besides the chamber. Sad.

Both mech mods seem to have loyal fan bases and are reported to perform excellently. The PA(p)'s brass looks stunning (as shown above), but the smell might be off-putting (at least, from reading what ppl say) and though, I really like the idea of a telescopic mech mod, the "full kit" kinda negates that (unsure of my battery needs [or even quality supplies here]). I'm not planning on subohming like a subterranean, but who knows- I also wasn't planning on seriously considering mechmods. All-to-say, it's still a "tie." Good thing I'm not anxious to upgrade (or downgrade, I guess technically-speaking) from my current gear. Maybe I'll flip a coin on it when I'm all set to order. Thanks all!

(Suppose it's not too late to ask for the difference between the Astro telescopic v. gp paps(or whatever) in terms of reliable performance and fiddle-free use? (Or rather, is there any reason I should gravitate toward one?) I literally searched/found out about said mod right after making the OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread