Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I have a GP and my wife has an Astro.

The astro is a totally different device than the GP.
Just the other end of the spectrum.
Hard to compare the two as the experience is so different it's really up to the individual.

The GP is sturdier as it's a single tube with a feather touch, recessed button.
The Astro is a telescopic with an external button.

The GP I have is built better IMHO, but both are good mods.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I know you have moved past the SRX. I have both the SRX by SXK and the PaPs from FT. For me, I can say that the PaPs hands down gets my vote. It just works better, the switch is so much better than SRX. I can build it down to my preferred .3ohm with zero hot button issues. This is the one I have, $12.16 Brass + Stainless Steel 18650 Mechanical Mod - brass tube at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping, and would have bought two for less than the SRX had I'd known how well it works. Plus the 20x1 threading for hybrid for my aqua is nice thought I just mostly use it for atties.

Then its confirmed that mod is a good mod. If I ever get it one day and its not good I'll come for you :mad:
I can get to Virginia , ok the population there is 3 times as much as the state I'm in but the state is 23 times smaller.
Population Virginia 30% more than Victoria but the state half the size.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I had a good quality Stingray X clone, its a melted lump of slag now but thats another story.

Pros - It's aesthetically beautiful, hits hard and is very small.

Cons - Copper is harder to keep clean than SS. I found it too small and fiddly especially the locking ring. The fire buttons can be sticky and usually require some modification.

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
I had a good quality Stingray X clone, its a melted lump of slag now but thats another story.

!!...? Curious.

Yeah, I'm veering toward the Astro atm, (unless someone has a compelling reason to convert me to ...) I'm looking for versatility and ease-of-use, mainly. Something long-lasting and relatively out-of-box friendly (w/ the exception of perhaps a few, cheap FT swaps); the hardware stores here can be disappointing at times... The brass contacts, I feel, will require less upkeep (and the diff. in voltage drop seem negligible for most purposes). Once I get more settled and past mechmod journeyman with a better feel for battery pref., I'll probably end up getting the PaPs clone (or whatever else happens to be the next big craze).

Sadly, the Astro version I'm eyeing atm is out of stock (and I feel it'll stay that way for a while...). So the question is go with another one or get the SS version and swap out the top/bottom caps for the Chi You replacement parts (flat brass top/SS+brass bottom) to emulate/geto-hack a two-toned version of the Astro. Maybe get sandpaper and matte it down a bit. And I do plan on leaving where I'm at in slightly over a year, so I'd rather have less to ship back home than more, even if is a matter of a few tubes.

Thanks for all the input!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I know its plain and boring at this point but in my rotation is a brass nemesis, had it a year now, still hasnt needed any modifications. And the vdrop is so low I vape batteries into the 3.4, 3.5 range without a thought. Still used daily w a kraken and one of my top 3 faves.

Could seriously use a polish but looks and functions like new still.

2015-02-24 09.40.19.jpg

Last edited:

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
I'd say a great working mod for $12.16 would be compelling enough for me anyhow. The FT PaPs I listed earlier has two potential issues. Mine did. It will take all of 10min to make this a stellar working mod that will work beyond what other more costly mods will do. First issue: The button on the switch is domed. When set down unlocked it can wobble. The fix: Remove the reverse threaded nut and make a shim using business card stock for under the nut. This will pull the switch up making for even shorter throw, and remove any wobble when sat down. Next: The battery adjustment screw can lose it's adjustment when changing batts as mentioned earlier. Fix: Wrap a small amount of sewing thread ON the threads and that will keep the adjustment screw from coming loose.

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Yah, I'll say this too. I bought the 3 tube Paps set, and wish I had not done that. In hindsight, I should have bought each tube individually so I'd have 3 switches and top caps as well to mix and match with other tubes.

Those switches are the best I've used. I may get a couple 18350 models just for the switches and top caps.:D

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Curiosity killed the X huh ? I have an Hcigar Stingray X clone that came with the adapter as well but I measured a voltage drop of .09 using the regular top cap on it . Less than 1/10th of a volt drop is definitely livable , don't see the need to use the hybrid adapter at all . I also have an authentic black copper Stingray , love'm both , absolutely my favorite mods . I've put several hours worth of work polishing the switches on both , time well spent . They're butter smooth and a joy to use . I'll have to get around to measuring the voltage drop on the authentic , but I expect the two will be very close .

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
I know you have moved past the SRX. I have both the SRX by SXK and the PaPs from FT. For me, I can say that the PaPs hands down gets my vote. It just works better, the switch is so much better than SRX. I can build it down to my preferred .3ohm with zero hot button issues. This is the one I have, $12.16 Brass + Stainless Steel 18650 Mechanical Mod - brass tube at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping, and would have bought two for less than the SRX had I'd known how well it works. Plus the 20x1 threading for hybrid for my aqua is nice thought I just mostly use it for atties.

Man, I'm about to be down 12 bucks and up a few weeks of waiting...

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I've put several hours worth of work polishing the switches on both , time well spent . They're butter smooth and a joy to use .

Can please detail what exactly what you mean by this, as I'm going to get another one. Did you modify the rice pin at all? Did you replace the stock magnets?

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Can please detail what exactly what you mean by this, as I'm going to get another one. Did you modify the rice pin at all? Did you replace the stock magnets?
I haven't replaced rice pins or magnets on either mod , I'm considering new magnets for the X but the authentic black copper's magnets are strong enough to set down without the locking ring . I simply polished all bearing surfaces starting off with fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a small wooden dowel and finished with crocus cloth again wrapped around a dowel . You want to keep all strokes vertical so any striations left align with the direction of the switches travel . I then took a regular lead pencil and rubbed it on all bearing surfaces until they were coated in graphite . The design is different on both switches but the same method works on both . I did have to stuff some cotton down the center post of the X's switch , fully tightened the negative contact wasn't long enough to reach past the delrin and fire , leaving it loose is risking an autofire .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread