Getting a Backup PV: Mechanical Advantages Over VV and Others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlsudo

Aug 12, 2012
ID
As titled, looking for a backup for my LT Lambo. I plan to mod myself a vv or 5v boxmod, already have a list and the place to get the components, just don't have the time, yet. So, considering I may or may not have a boxmod in the future :) I'm thinking a nice and affordable mechanical mod to acompany my lonesome LT. The thing is, my sweetspot seems to be at 4.6-4.8ish Volt working on 2.6-2.8 Ohm. Never tried LR or 3ish Ohm though. Now, since I'm not sure what a fully mechanical mod best at beside being tough, and am pretty sure even though I like to get a Kick there ain't a vendor that gonna ship here, is it a good idea to get a mechanical? I certainly love the looks of most mechanical mods, but I don't plan to stare at them all day :). Appreciate any input.

MaxPerilous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Edgewood, NM
Passthroughs are good options especially if you are by the computer a lot. I think for me anyways the best backup would be a Ego twist (or 2). I'm a heavy/chain vaper and 1 Ego Twist 1000mah lasts me 9-10 hours so between the two, one charging one vaping and time to sleep/eat/not vape you'd be totally covered. But if just ofr an emergency backup you'd prob get away with just 1. It only goes up to 4.8v but with the help of this lil chart http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9dkanCt0I1qc8949o2_1280.png you could get a lower res atty/carto/etc and still easily get to your sweet spot.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    To me "backup" means so simplistic it can't fail.
    This is my backup, with 14500 tube
    P1000541.jpg

The only problem is that it works so well that I use it more than all my other PV's combined.

With 14650 tube & ViVi Nova
    P1000615.jpg

Last edited:

karlsudo

Aug 12, 2012
    ID
    Hey guys, thanks for the input.
    @LongHaul
    I do have passthrough on my list, but I don't consider it a backup. There's a high probabilty when I finally have one, it will get the most abuse because I'm pretty much by my notebook most the time :D.

@MaxPerilous
    As of Twist, I don't know. Am not really looking for another VV. But you got me thinking, there... 2 Twists for the entire day...

@csdn
    Legend don't require propaganda, just proper budget :D Any link for KGo VV? Why I never saw one?

@tj99959
    Okay. What IS that? *Edit: asked and answered already* Well, "backup" is just a word, a reasonable justification for a SECOND mod, with a requirement for it to have a -at least- a bit distinct feature than the first so the wife won't complain (much) :D. This is, after all, for a greater good (of lesser evil? :vapor:).

Um, so basically there's not much other than look and toughness to go with unregulated mechanical?

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
    Oct 28, 2010
    NY
    I went from Ego's to a Roughstack to a REO. My sweet spot is a 2 ohm carto on a 3.7v battery. The advantage is that they're really tough, and easy to fix when something does break. You can keep a supply of a few inexpensive parts and be reasonably sure your mod will always work.

I work a messy job, and the REO's hold up, and clean-up well. You can actually wash them in the sink. It has survived a 6 foot drop onto marble, a day at the beach, and my life in general for well over a year. I did manage to collapse a spring because of a bad atty, and DH snapped the firing mechanism on his. Both were repaired in under 10 minutes.

Would a few Ego's held up that well? Probably. I'm able to keep my really non-mechanical cell phones for a couple of years too. I just really like my REO- that it's mechanical is a nice feature, but it's the bottom feeding mechanism that makes me a REO fangirl. You can build box mods pretty simply, but getting that juice mechanism just right is tough.

The Roughstack isn't bad but it's just a tube with a battery (and that's sort of the point).

The important thing is getting a backup. I like a big battery backup in case of power outages- I'm good for at least a day or 2 with an 18650, but you can charge something like an Ego in the car, so there's that.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Um, so basically there's not much other than look and toughness to go with unregulated mechanical?

True that, however I would point out that "unregulated" is not the boogie man that many make it out to be. Good IMR batteries pretty much take care of that right up to the bitter end, and then they fall like a rock telling you to change the battery out, and I wouldn't use anything but IMR's in a mechanical mod anyway for safety reasons.

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ont.
    My first Mod is a device similar to the Mako and all I can say is it has been a workhorse- after 1 yr of use still performs perfectly. Many also buy the mechanical not only for its durability but more so because parts and batteries can be replaced easily and cheaply. Definitely a purchase for the budget minded BUT not a "WOW" vape.

karlsudo

Aug 12, 2012
    ID
    I went from Ego's to a Roughstack to a REO. My sweet spot is a 2 ohm carto on a 3.7v battery. The advantage is that they're really tough, and easy to fix when something does break. You can keep a supply of a few inexpensive parts and be reasonably sure your mod will always work.
    I just really like my REO- that it's mechanical is a nice feature, but it's the bottom feeding mechanism that makes me a REO fangirl. You can build box mods pretty simply, but getting that juice mechanism just right is tough.

It's the bottomfeeding that is holding me back. I haven't read much about the mechanism, but I have concerns on the right atty for bottomfeeder. I have set my mind that if I ever gonna get any atty, it must be rebuildable. I'm a "comeback" new guy at vaping, 3 years ago, it's 510's atties problems that simply put me off vaping. Now, though, with these VV, VW, cartos, tanks, clearos, RBA, RTA, and plethora types of mods and whatnot provide enough options, and with satisfying experience with my LT + cartotank/vivi nova/vivi tank setup for the last month, I decided to keep on vaping and do an upgrade. For bottomfeeder, I've set my eyes on VMod for the standard, and Reo for VV, but that's going to be the next phase :).

...The Roughstack isn't bad but it's just a tube with a battery (and that's sort of the point).

Exactly :).

True that, however I would point out that "unregulated" is not the boogie man that many make it out to be. Good IMR batteries pretty much take care of that right up to the bitter end, and then they fall like a rock telling you to change the battery out, and I wouldn't use anything but IMR's in a mechanical mod anyway for safety reasons.

You mean, the IMR characteristic of staying at ~3.7V most of the time?

My first Mod is a device similar to the Mako and all I can say is it has been a workhorse- after 1 yr of use still performs perfectly. Many also buy the mechanical not only for its durability but more so because parts and batteries can be replaced easily and cheaply. Definitely a purchase for the budget minded BUT not a "WOW" vape.

Great durabilty, easy repair and meintenance. A forever backup :). But for the "WOW" vape, is one thing I've not yet have a definition yet.

I would recommend the Legacy by PureSmoker as a mechanical device which will last you a long time with basic maintenance! Also it is made of 304 steel

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

Howsabout a glv2 at 5 volts? My sweet spot and just about any 510 carto' tank or Atty. Tough as nails!

Thanks the suggestion, but, what's a GLV2? Not sure about the 5V, with current setup I maxed at 4.8V with 2.8Ohm. Haven't built a 3Ohm coil, yet, to go higher. Wouldn't standard res 2-2.4Ohm cartos/atties produce much too hot and harsh vape at 5V? Or it's just with LT?

I've decided to get a passthrough, but still gonna have a go with mechanical one :). Again, thanks all for the inputs.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2009
    Arcata, Cali
    Ok, looks like you may have already decided...but I'll still put my two cents in:

First off, I love seeing a new forum member who knows his ...... Makes me feel a bit better recommending something I would *actually* use these days.

My backup is a "Bolt" mod from madvapes-although it is available at a bunch of different sites. It's entirely mechanical, so far as I can tell. It cost me $30 plus the cost of a battery, and there is an extension available to put a Kick in it for VV, or to put a longer 18650 in instead of the usual 18500. I'm using mine, with the 18500, as we speak.

As far as passthroughs: Getone.. Actually, get two. I personally like the simple "510 passthrough" boxes that have a 510 connection on a small Li-ion battery box, with a usb on the end. They're $10, and the replacement batts cost $1-3. I've used mine in public and gotten 6 hours off of a full charge in the past. The other passthrough I have is an eGo-type, with a removable usb charge cord- technically, batts like this are *not* native passthroughs, but they do the same job with a bit less wiring involved. They're also $16 instead of $10.

If you have more money, get a better mechanical mod as your backup instead...but you're on the right track. Best of luck!

Edit: Never tried one, but these are sexy:

http://www.mtnvapor.com/Mountain-Vaporizer-18650-Battery-Tube-MVBT.htm

and only $17 for a mechanical batt mod. Sweet!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread