Status
Not open for further replies.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
before you put the big ring around ceramic please push wick with your fingers several times until it comes as flat as you can dok:)
Thanks for your inputs. The metal taste went away and now I am getting the full blast of sweet Havana Gold in my mouth. I think I will try to lower the ohm by a tad bit on my next coil & wick setup for more flavor and throat hit. Overall, I'm definitely satisfied with the Penelope, and due to its purity... I may need to reduce the nicotine level (currently at 24 or 28mg) since I'm feeling light-headed. The only real issue I have is with the 3.5mm wicks. Since these wicks are fatter, it is harder to fit them into the slots and they get shredded by the metal ring that you twist onto the middle thing where the wick & coil sits (don't know what you call that). You have to really compress them into the side slots or else you will get breakage in the silica wicks, and in turn you get a bunch of fibers sticking out.

Side note : I'm using the Penelope on a crappy Ego device (3.7v) that I got for free. I will be using this Ego device until I get my pre-ordered GGTS.

Question : Will lowering the ohms (shorter resistance coil length) give me a better throat hit? Right now it is set at around 1.7ohms and it gives me a slight throat hit.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Received my Ego Twist, as suggested by Ezkill, since my older Ego is... well... old and inconsistent. I put it through its initial charge and started vaping at 3.2v, and got weak vapor, flavor, and throat hit. I then tested my Penelope to see the ohm level to determine what I should set my Ego Twist to, and it came out to around 1.5ohms. So, I decided to set my Ego Twist to around 3.8-3.9v and now I feel like I'm in heaven. This thing is awesome!

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Received my Ego Twist, as suggested by Ezkill, since my older Ego is... well... old and inconsistent. I put it through its initial charge and started vaping at 3.2v, and got weak vapor, flavor, and throat hit. I then tested my Penelope to see the ohm level to determine what I should set my Ego Twist to, and it came out to around 1.5ohms. So, I decided to set my Ego Twist to around 3.8-3.9v and now I feel like I'm in heaven. This thing is awesome!

Yea, highly worth the 27 dollars or whatever to vape on for the next little while until your GGTS comes. Big difference when you can push 3.9 volts through it as opposed to the 3.0volts you were pushing with the regular ego.

Glad it worked out. :D

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone know how long a typical coil-wick setup will last on average? I used Cisco atomizers before, they would last maybe 2-3 days until I would have to air blast it and dry burn it, which I hated to do, and then it would last maybe a day after the initial maintenance before you have to blast it and dry burn it again. When I used cartomizers (horrible flavor compared to my Penelope), they would last me around 4-5 days before I toss one out.

I've been on this coil-wick setup in my Penelope for about 4 days of hardcore vaping and it is still going strong. So, I'm just wondering what sort of magic this is?

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
It's not really magic...it depends on your juice and the amount you vape.

I've had coils last for over two weeks(not with silica) and still be going strong. It really all depends on how gunked up the coil and wick get. Some people have the last a week and I know people that get almost a month out of a coil with a regular rinse in water every few refills.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
It varies with everyone...I've read anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. When it does start performing bad, you can rinse you coil under hot water then soak up excess moisture with a paper towel, then dry burn until your coils turn red hot. It helps to blow on your coil while your dry burning to remove the funk. You should probably only do this once though as the silica will start to break down if you do it too many times.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Will I get brass button pin with ggts?

However, the answer should be...yes!

The newest batch of GGTS's came with 2 pins. Stainless steel installed in the button in case you have an SS post and an extra brass pin if you have a brass post. All of the newest GGTS's came with a brass post so I've been using the brass pin.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Still going strong on my first coil setup in the Penelope.After the first week, I washed the contents and did a dry burn since I noticed that I needed to take 3-4 pulls in-order to get a good throat hit and flavor. The first coil is now a little past 2 weeks old, almost at the point where it needs to be dry burned and cleaned soon.

No real issues with the Penelope except for a few minor things such as,

- The coil base is hard to unscrew with your bare fingers. Using rubber gloves, small towel, etc helps with this issue.
- The mouthpiece is not interchangeable/customize-able but I have gotten use to the metal cylinder.
- Can't see juice level. This is easily solved by just opening the top cap and tilting the Penelope.

One major issue that bothers me is that while the Penelope is an amazing device, the individual parts are difficult to acquire, and that creates a problem if one of the parts were to break, such as the ceramic.

Aside from what I've said, the Penelope is in a class of its own. It is simple and elegant on the outside and yet it shows a tone of complexity and the soul of a machinist on the inside. In essence, it is a device made for those who are mysterious and bold.

Side story. I was smoking the Penelope on a Ego-Twist in front of my College and two students with disposable e-cigs bought from a local 7-eleven approached me. They asked "what is THAT?" I told them it is a rebuildable plasma atomizer called the "Penelope," that vaporizes and collides nicotine molecules together to give you the purest flavor and throat hit, specially crafted by a Greek genius. Then my friend met up with me and we left the college premises. Too bad I don't have the GGTS yet, it would have been much cooler.

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I had a problem with the coil base being difficult to unscrew. Add a small dab of vaseline on the tiny o-ring at the very bottom of the positive post and you will have a much easier time unscrewing it.

Only really breakable part is the ceramic and it's hard to break. Put yourself on the notify me on CoV they are up often enough. Get a couple when they show up and you will be set for life. I've yet to break one in a couple months and they can basically last forever.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
I haven't broken anything in my Penelope so far and I don't think anything will break in a long time. I did drop my Penelope a couple of times, faceplanting itself onto the floor, but it came up unscathed. I just mentioned the ceramic since some forum member said he broke his by over-tightening the center post.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
So, I decided to replace the first-made coil and made myself a new coil but this time I decided to go for the double wick and to lower the ohm a bit. I also burned the coil and wick to get rid of the metal taste. Tested this baby out and wow! Huge difference in throat hit and flavor.

Side note : I personally don't like the 3.5 wick, it is a mess trying to flatten it out on the metal tube side since it is fat, and it keeps getting shredded, wet or not. I'm gonna get the 3mm wick to see if it is easier to manage.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
with the fatter wick i like to wind my coil on a short piece of wick and let the ring sheer off the extra "Mr.Krinkle" style

Speaking from unpleasant experience you don't want the silica frayed or sheared.

Any lose piece sheared or cut can at some point get sucked into the back of your throat and when that happens you are in for a very unpleasant experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread