Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
What is the difference between a Penelope and Odysseus? It looks like I will need to get what Ezkill suggested for the Penelope.

Ezkill said,

1 GGTS Re-threader(Comes included with your GGTS)
1 901 Battery to 808-D Atomizer adapter
1 901 to 510 as in the other post, standard adapter carried by just about every vendor.

Will this setup offer air flow control if I get a Penelope?

Yes it will.

Honestly don't get too down on Genesis style atomizers as they are also a good product, just different. I've had a Genesis atomizer setup with .8-1.0 ohm coils for a long time and it vapes just as well as an Odysseus or Penelope. A lot of people would say Genesis mods vape better.

The reasons I don't like them have nothing to do with the vape quality. It's more about the general uhhhhhh wetness of the product for lack of a better term. Does actual juice leak out of the tank? no. Does un-atomized juice mixed with condensate collect in the top cap, leak on your car seat, in your pocket and shoot of the air intake once in a while. Yes. That's the part that annoys me. It's not the vape quality at all. The amount of hot, tasty vapor that comes out of a good genesis atomizer is extremely impressive.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes it will.

Honestly don't get too down on Genesis style atomizers as they are also a good product, just different. I've had a Genesis atomizer setup with .8-1.0 ohm coils for a long time and it vapes just as well as an Odysseus or Penelope. A lot of people would say Genesis mods vape better.

The reasons I don't like them have nothing to do with the vape quality. It's more about the general uhhhhhh wetness of the product for lack of a better term. Does actual juice leak out of the tank? no. Does un-atomized juice mixed with condensate collect in the top cap, leak on your car seat, in your pocket and shoot of the air intake once in a while. Yes. That's the part that annoys me. It's not the vape quality at all. The amount of hot, tasty vapor that comes out of a good genesis atomizer is extremely impressive.

The problems that are really getting to me is that the Genesis style atomizers leak when it is laid down on its side. I travel alot and I'm pretty sure that it will go on its side numerous times. The other problem is with the air draws of genesis style atomizers and air draws are a big fat "no" for me.

So I'll try to get my hands on a penelope (stalking one right now in the classified section, hopefully he will sell it to me.) or Ody.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Amazon has several. I'd recommend get a multi-meter as it will serve you much better then a specific ohm meter.

Multi-meter will check resistance ohms and also check battery voltage amongst other things.

I'm using this one for vaping related stuff, also found the small aligator clips to be useful.
Amazon.com: Elenco Electronics TL-5 Banana to Alligator Test Lead Set: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter: Automotive

For the 25 dollars I'd buy this instead of just an ohm meter for 20 dollars. You'll get a lot more mileage out of this stuff.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
All links are somewhere in this thread. I won't be tell you if it's the same 901 to 510 from mad vapes as CoV because I don't have the madvapes one. If it looks the same it's probably the same one. They are fairly standard.

I just can't guarantee it. My 901 to 510 came from CoV and the other one came from madvapes.

Last edited:

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
It looks the same. I'll get it for now, if it ain't the same... then I will get the one from CoV, but I'm pretty sure they are the same.

Sorry to keep bother you but do you know where I can find the information on what wick material I need to get (I heard the 3.5mm wicks are superb), and also what kind of wires/coils I need to get. I read somewhere that I should get a Kanthal 32 gauge wire if I want to get around 1.5-1.7ohms.

Thanks for your help!

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
CoV sometimes has wire and wick in stock.

If they don't:
Twisted Jewels or Amazon - 30 AWG Dead soft silver wire for no resistance.
32 AWG - Kanthal A1, fleabay or sometimes Amazon.
Wick - CoV sometimes. If not you can google "silica wicks" and look at the first thing that comes up, might have wire there as well I know some buy stuff there. Not sure I don't use silica.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
This what I ordered,

- 32 gauge A1 Kanthal resistance wire - Silicawick.com
- 3.5mm Silica Wick - Also from Silicawick.com

I decided to get the 3.5mm wick since Imeo (the creator himself) is praising it.

- .999 Fine Silver 30 Gauge Round Wire (No resistance) - Twistedjewels.com

There was some on Amazon but it seemed overpriced and wasn't really reliable.

A summary of what I ordered,

- CoV Edition SS GGTS (Advanced Order)
- Two AW IMR 18650 3.7v 2000mAh High Drain Li Ion Battery
- SS Ming/Cherry Drip Tip (Don't think I can use this with the Penelope.)
- GGTS Fuse Protection Upgrade
- Used (Like New) Penelope w/ wires.
- Adapters for the Penelope
- 3.5mm Silica Wick (100 ft)
- 32 gauge A1 Kanthal resistance wire (100 ft)
- .999 Fine Silver 30 Gauge Round Wire (No resistance) (25 ft)

I think that is everything. Can someone double check for me please?

Can't wait to put everything together... so excited!

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
That about covers it.

I use square braid cotton candle wick size #1/0 since you asked. I won't go into why here as it's Imeo's forum but you can google wick materials safe versus dangerous and there is a bunch of information here. It's open to interpretation.

Just so you know 100 ft of wick is enough to last a life time. Same with the resistance wire. Silver goes the fastest but it will still last you a very very long time. 2 years maybe with 25 feet of silver, hard to say.

I still like using a kick. Until Imeo's VIR comes out it's a good solution. I find the variation on voltage through the battery life span to be a bit erratic. Without one a 1.5ohm coil will start at 11.7 watts on a fresh battery and go down to 6.8 by the time you charge the battery. That's a very big difference in terms of vape.

What do you use now out of curiosity?

Last edited:

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
I use a Reo Mini as of this moment. I've had this thing for about 2 years, no issues at all, dropped it multiple times, and it is still vaping like a champ. The only trouble I had was when I got a short from a bad atomizer and it fried the safety spring in my Reo, smelled awful. Rob promptly fixed my semi-broken Reo Mini and made it even better.

I've used ce2's, Cisco 306 atomizers, 510 standard atomizers, and now I'm using these 1.7ohm cartos in my Reo Mini. I only vape 100% VG juices such as Havana Gold (AWESOME stuff btw) and Boba's Bounty (Amazing). I have some dual coil cartos coming in to try them out until my Penelope arrives.

Once the Penelope arrives, I will probably plug it in and vape it through my Ego until the GGTS arrives, which won't be until late October.

The reason I'm getting the GGTS is because of its craftsmanship. I'm a big fan of anything that has a steampunk style to it, and the GGTS (along with Penelope) achieves that flawlessly in my opinion. The amount of thought put into building the GGTS and along with its versatility makes this device a true collector's item. All in all, it is the e-cig for the manliest man. The reason as to why I'm getting the Penelope (or if I had gotten the Ody) is because it is a repairable atomizer. The simple fact that you have total control over the quality of your atomizer is a huge and exciting feature for me. I chose the Penelope over those genesis style atomizers due to the fact that leaking and air draws are common throughout genesis style atomizers.

Overall, I do tons of research in what products I get and I make sure that they will last. I've been stalking (like a creeper) the GGTS for a very long time and now I am finally getting one.

TLDR : I'm using a Reo Mini.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Is this the same as a 901 to 510 adapter that you said to get?

901/808D Battery to 510 Atomizer Adapter

Hi dokebilee,

I have updated the GG Wiki, "Connecting iAtty, Odysseus or Penelope on a GGTS" section, it has also an example of how to use the adapters:

http://ggwiki.et.com.mx/index.php/GG_adapters

The one on the link you posted looks larger, the adapter should look like this one:

7252f4f6020998ec.jpg

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Based on your current preferences you will love the GGTS.

Like you I go for the appearance, craftsmanship and overall performance. There is something magical about it that's really hard to describe. This is going to sound odd but it's the same feeling I get when I jump behind the wheel of a Gallardo(sorry Bish, Ferraris don't do it for me) or grab the cue ball shifter in a Shelby. Something about the feel of it is just like that and I can't describe it. Raw, visceral, I don't know...it just feel right.

Obviously I like cars but I know it sounds like a weird comparison. Not long ago I was explaining to a friend why I prefer Gallardo's and Shelby's to Ferrari 458's and GTR's. The answer was simple..."In Soviet Russia GTR and 458 drive you". I think that's why I've basically shelved all of my ProVari's etc. Hope I don't offend Sergei with the Yakov Smirnoff humor :D

Oh yes, and the vape is also very good.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Hi dokebilee,

I have updated the GG Wiki, "Connecting iAtty, Odysseus or Penelope on a GGTS" section, it has also an example of how to use the adapters:

http://ggwiki.et.com.mx/index.php/GG_adapters

The one on the link you posted looks larger, the adapter should look like this one:

7252f4f6020998ec.jpg

Think you got it confused or I'm blind as a bat. I already got the 901 to 808 adapter from the link that Ezkill provided, looks exactly the same as the picture you posted. The link that you see in my post is for the 901 to 501 adapter, which is larger than the 901 to 808 adapter. Both of which are required (along with the rethreader) to hold the Penelope on the GGTS.

Please feel free to slap me if I made a mistake somewhere.

@Ezkill : You and I have similar taste bud. I like steampunk stuff because I like how I can see how the raw stuff works and how every piece in each item has a specific (and important) role. I also like old equipment and/or items, such as a classic muscle car, where you don't need all those fancy stuff to get it to run like a true machine. I even built my own computer because I wanted to learn the process and to see how each component worked its magic.

That raw feeling and how little things make huge differences defines what a machine/device should be (or should become). And like you said, it is a special feeling that you can't describe, but in reality... the product itself defines who YOU are.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Received some of the stuff I ordered today. Here is what came in,

- .999 Fine Silver 30 Gauge Round Wire (25ft)
- Used Penelope (like new), along with A1 Kanthal wires and .999 30 gauge dead soft silver wire.

The Penelope is in great condition and everything fits perfectly. The only issue I have is the tightness when screwing the parts with the o-rings. Anyone know a fix for this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread