Happy turkey day everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
I've never heard of putting lemon, pepper, and garlic rub inside a turkey. I bet that I'd love it! Do you use real lemons or lemon juice? Also, do you make regular stuffing or is it seasoned?

Mashed potatoes - instant just aren't the same. Have fun peeling potatoes. :)

Actually it's a turkey rub I found at a recipe website. The lemon part is both lemon juice and finely ground lemon peel. Also finely ground fresh garlic some salt and pepper and olive oil. I'm probably leaving something out I wrote the recipe down somewhere I hope I find it tonight.

The stuffing is seasoned herb stuffing. The grocery store had herb stuffing and cornbread stuffing 4 boxes for $5 and I didn't know which my wife preferred so I got 2 boxes of each.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

We're letting some of the poor people having to work on Thanksgiving day do the cooking this year. Figured we might as well donate to their paychecks since they're going to have to be there anyway. I may have to buy an after Thanksgiving turkey though just to get my turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches in over the weekend. :laugh:

Leftovers are the best part---unless you have too much and have to eat it all week. :ohmy:

vaporgalinfla

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2010
Florida
Actually it's a turkey rub I found at a recipe website. The lemon part is both lemon juice and finely ground lemon peel. Also finely ground fresh garlic some salt and pepper and olive oil. I'm probably leaving something out I wrote the recipe down somewhere I hope I find it tonight.

The stuffing is seasoned herb stuffing. The grocery store had herb stuffing and cornbread stuffing 4 boxes for $5 and I didn't know which my wife preferred so I got 2 boxes of each.

Please post or pm me the recipe for the turkey! Too late this year as we only bought a 3 pound turkey breast (enough for the two of us), but that sounds so good! I bet herb stuffing would taste good with it. By the way, you sound like my husband when it comes to shopping (he does all our grocery shopping). He bought three different kinds of stuffing since he didn't know what I wanted! But, it cost a lot more than 4 for $5. Sounds like you got a great deal!

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
Well I still can't find the recipe I might have to find another similar and go with that or just wing it since I wrote down the ingredients.( I just wish I'd wrote down how much of each) I found this one that looks pretty good though.

Ingredients-

* 1 (12- to 14-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
* 1 cup water
* Garnishes: kumquats, fresh sage, fresh rosemary

Preparation

Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for making Giblet Gravy, if desired. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Place turkey, breast side up, in a greased broiler pan. Combine salt and next 8 ingredients. Using fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey at neck area, working down to breast and thigh area. Rub about one-third of seasonings under skin. Rub skin with softened butter; rub with remaining seasonings. Tie legs together with heavy string, or tuck under flap of skin. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey.

Add water to pan. Cover turkey with aluminum foil. Bake at 325° for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 180°, uncovering turkey after 2 hours. Transfer turkey to a serving platter, reserving pan drippings for gravy. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving. Garnish, if desired.

Tip: If you buy a frozen bird, remember to allow about 3 days for a 12- to 14-pound turkey to thaw in the refrigerator.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
It's called Thanksgiving? I thought it was called football day wth turkey and pie. Everyone wave a most wonderful Thanksgiving Day.
happy_thanksgiving-2009.gif

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Well I still can't find the recipe I might have to find another similar and go with that or just wing it since I wrote down the ingredients.( I just wish I'd wrote down how much of each) I found this one that looks pretty good though.

Ingredients-

* 1 (12- to 14-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
* 1 cup water
* Garnishes: kumquats, fresh sage, fresh rosemary

Preparation

Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for making Giblet Gravy, if desired. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Place turkey, breast side up, in a greased broiler pan. Combine salt and next 8 ingredients. Using fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey at neck area, working down to breast and thigh area. Rub about one-third of seasonings under skin. Rub skin with softened butter; rub with remaining seasonings. Tie legs together with heavy string, or tuck under flap of skin. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey.

Add water to pan. Cover turkey with aluminum foil. Bake at 325° for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 180°, uncovering turkey after 2 hours. Transfer turkey to a serving platter, reserving pan drippings for gravy. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving. Garnish, if desired.

Tip: If you buy a frozen bird, remember to allow about 3 days for a 12- to 14-pound turkey to thaw in the refrigerator.

You sound like you love to cook....and I'll bet a good one at that, :)
Save some for leftovers.
:) wv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread