• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hey Ladies -- Fake Nails and Nail Biters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonata Dusk

Mar 27, 2015
Taylor Mill, KY, USA
Hey Ladies,

Hopefully this is fine because it has nothing to do with vaping. I have always been a really bad nail biter (like to the point that I barely have nails) and I woke up today and decided enough was enough.

So I went out and bought fake nails and while typing is a struggle, I'm absolutely glad I did it. I'm hoping with time that my natural nails will grow back but the confidence boost alone is worth it.

I know it's a bad habit but i just wanted to share some encouragement if anyone out there struggles with it. If I can get fake nails on, anyone can.

:banana:

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
I have my nails done and it absolutely stops me from biting them. I bite and peel/scratch at mine till I sometimes have to use a few bandaids to keep myself from messing with them so getting my nails done is well worth the money. I have them cut as short as possible and they feel like mine with polish but for some reason I don't bother them.

Sonata Dusk

Mar 27, 2015
Taylor Mill, KY, USA
I really thought I was going to have to use band aids. I wasn't sure that I could get a fake nail on but so far, so good. They're so pretty that its kept me off of them but the real test will be when I'm stressing but I think I've found my solution.

I'm hoping once I get mine to grow out more that I can go and get them done but then again, the fakies with nail art are a lot of fun, lol. I currently have a french manicure with little different colored Hawaiian flowers on the tips.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I have thyroid issues and just cannot grow nails. A friend gave me a gift certificate for a mani-pedi and I know exactly what you are talking about. When I had nails, definitely added confidence and for me a bit of feeling feminine. I have some that I got at the $ store years ago and never used. I might just get them out. Thanks for the reminder. heehee
www.MessenTools.com-Mensajes-big-25.gif
And good luck with the nail biting. It is just a habit like anything else. I bet the fake nails will help because yours may start to grow out while using the fake ones and you will get out of the habit since you can't bite the fake ones.

Reactions: daleron

Sonata Dusk

Mar 27, 2015
Taylor Mill, KY, USA
I hate that I can't use them like a normal nail since they're plastic, they just pop off if I try. I went to open vape mail yesterday and lost one and I had one trying to come off while I was out and about.

I actually took them off yesterday, I just needed a break. It's really hard to go from no nails to nails ... However, I stuck them back on today and tried to use a few of the ones I dismissed yesterday as being too short.

Hoping tonight I can sleep in them and just leave them on for a few days at a time. They seem comfier today than yesterday so maybe I just needed to get used to the feel of them.

Thanks for all the encouragement, ladies. :)

Toastyroadie

Mar 18, 2015
CO, USA
Hello all, I'm not a lady, but was a chronic nail biter my entire life until just recently. Going on 5 months with no nail biting to report.

As long as I can remember, everyone told me it was a bad habit, I tried everything and nothing ever worked, I always went back to nail biting.

In the last 5 years I've really been trying to eat right and stay away from processed foods, kind of like a paleo diet, as well as supplementing with vitamins and minerals. Well the last supplement I added was iron about 5 months ago and that right there put a stop to nail biting, the urge was gone, as long as I took my supplements daily, especially the iron. I don't know for sure if it was just the iron or just the last supplement that finally did it in combination with the rest.

I take a vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin k, vitamin A, iron, magnesium, selenium, zinc and boron.

It wasn't until I added the iron that I saw the dramatic results. My daughter is a chronic cuticle biter, I gave her iron for a week and it subsided but she doesn't want to take supplements, oh well.

I hope this can help you all, I don't believe nail biting is a habit, but a mineral deficiency and nail biting is a form of PICA.

Pica

Pica is a condition where nonfood substances--fingernails, mud, paint chips, etc.--are repeatedly eaten. It may be a sign of a nutritional deficiency: Iron, zinc, calcium, niacin, thiamine and vitamins C and D have been linked to pica. Although empirical research on pica is rare, it is also thought to be caused by biochemical disorders, like the decreasing production of dopamine in the brain.

Read more : Nail Biting Disorders | eHow

Sonata Dusk

Mar 27, 2015
Taylor Mill, KY, USA
Lady or not, I appreciate the input.

I actually do have iron on hand but I only take it when it's that time of month, but I seriously might try it and see if it makes any difference. Might just get a good multi vitamin too. I tend to take Vitamin K from time to time.

I've heard it's a form of Pica and I've also read articles lately where they really equate it more to OCD and a perfectionism kind of mentality.

I have no idea, the fake nails didn't work that well. I got tired of not being able to do things with my hands and they were popping off a lot. I'll keep the vitamin thing in mind though. It's so funny, I quit smoking from nothing other than sheer will and i'm finding this harder.

:)

Kudos to you too for stopping because it is not easy !

Kivrin

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2015
It's so funny, I quit smoking from nothing other than sheer will and i'm finding this harder.

Well, if you're anything like me, I started biting my nails as soon as they took my pacifier away. Or at least that's what they tell me. I've never bitten them raw, just down to a little smidge of white left.

But I play piano professionally and need them short. So I have no plans to quit. Sometimes I have to rid myself of one that's overgrown and hurting me on the spot:) I only had girly nails when I was twelve and it was a constant battle with my piano teacher and her scolding me that I couldn't have nails if I was going to play. So I bit off all my nails and spit them out on her piano:shock::shock:

Well, anyway, you've probably been biting longer than you were ever smoking. And it's too easy to do without realizing you're doing it!

But if you want pretty nails, why don't you buy some cool polish and the other stuff they have these days and doll up your shorties, even if it looks a little silly. They'll look so much better with some length, it could give you something to work for :)

cloudykitty

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2015
Aurora, CO, USA
My nails get beat up too. I don't bite them as much as I pick at the cuticles and tear at the free edge of the nail.

The coffee shop I work at now does not allow anything to be put on the nails so I can't paint as often now but I do hit the bottle (so to speak) every chance I get now!

What has really helped me is keeping them natural but polished, and putting on lotion several times per day. Stumpies or not, something pretty used to always be on my nails and I'd often change my polish after a couple days, which would mean home mani's a couple times per week. It is so much fun to play with my colors, collect nail polish, and dream up different layering possibilities or basic nail art!

I have found that for me anyway, fake nails do more harm than good.

Good luck everyone and happy hands!

Reactions: CES
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread