Hey, New Member here with two questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
The coil runs longways in that white box at the bottom. The bridge is the steel mesh arch you see on top. The wick is teh feather looking stuff, that goes side to side the opposite direction the bridge runs, and same direction the coil runs. The purpose is to have the cart box match up with the white box in the atty. That bridge will keep the batting up, but help the liquid run to the wick that is also blocking both sides of the cart, and absorbing. With that wick good and wet, and running parallel directly above the coil, you get great hits. There is also another piece of flat steel under both the bridge and wick. Its meant to support that steel mesh, as its fraile, and the wick is held in place because its sandwiched between the 2. Its a lot of words here, so next time you fry an atty, don't chuck it, tear it apart and you'll see first hand how they are built to work. :)

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
Yes, you have it with post #19. I don't do cartomisers yet, as I tried 5, and none did well. But i'm going to try again soon. I tore them apart too, and couldnt grasp how they would be effective except for a few puffs. They are an entirely new atty, and new beast, but I will tame those also. For now, being new, get one thing down. Don't try 2 at once. They both require different user traits to work them correctly, and you could get confused. OR, you could work em over and teach ME about THOSE :p

entropy100

Aug 24, 2010
la
AHAHa i might have just done the stupidest thing. so i looked into the atty and it had like a dark filler looking thing next to the bridge. i scraped it out clean thinking it was gunk. it was a feather filler like thing.

my ego is hitting pretty nice now after all i cleaning(??) should i worry about taking out that filler under the bridge? will my atty burn out fast now?

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
Actually NO...I did the same thing thinking it was loose batting WAY back when. Now, a lot off pl do it on purpose, and I did for a while also. If you DRIP, you will want to remove that always...On 5 volt mods, everyone removes wicks. NOW, be sure youve removed it ALL. Any stragglers will taste like burnt cotton. If you get stragglers you cant find, then dry burn em out. (once their burnt to a crisp, their burnt). The only real differences is that the atty wont wick as well. It will work, but for less puffs before tasting off, BUT will be better puffs. Just be sure and give time to let liquid settle back into the bridge, because thats your new wick now. Now you have an atty to learn from, so tinker a bit. I used blue fluval carts with removed wicks myself. But you can test what you like, drip if you choose, just take time to see the differences. just watch the cart. Nothing is blocking it now if you put it on crooked. The sides of the cart will run directly over the coil, and will burn little half moon shaped notches if you take long drags. I did this without knowing for a while. You didnt ruin the atty though, just reconfigured. I wouldve gotten to that later on if you still wanted bigger hits:p

Last edited:

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip about the disk inside the cart Big Chief, I had only removed the end cap before not that part. Do you find that with high PG % you need to put more Blue foam in the carts to retain the liquid better? I get lots of leakage if I don't cut the piece about 50% wider than the cart itself. I'm somewhat anti cartomizer because I love to tinker and I think carts + atty is more cost effective, so I'm always looking to improve their performance.

Nothing Norml

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2010
Dundalk, Maryland, USA
Try a cart mod such as the blue fluval, it can be bought at petsmart, Marineland rite size u filter works great and theres plenty of vids on youtube to show u the best way to due cart mods. Havent tried the 510 cartos yet so sorry cant say much bout them. the blue foam holds fluid better in my oppinion, dont over fill your carts or they can spill over into the air passage rather than stay in the carts resevoir.

Happy vaping!

Nothing Norml

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
Learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip about the disk inside the cart Big Chief, I had only removed the end cap before not that part. Do you find that with high PG % you need to put more Blue foam in the carts to retain the liquid better? I get lots of leakage if I don't cut the piece about 50% wider than the cart itself. I'm somewhat anti cartomizer because I love to tinker and I think carts + atty is more cost effective, so I'm always looking to improve their performance.

Yes. I went through a stint of finding my perfect vape. Right now its standard cart fill, or white fluval, just fluffed up and just enough to fill cart, with wicks still in atties.
But I went through a few months of removing wicks, and useing blue fluval cut to exact size. It leaked quite a bit though. It had to be carried cart down because it would flow so fast. It wasnt bad, just inconsistant. I think it would work better with an xtra 50% fluval, or the plug blue fluval. I just try to keep things as simple as possible now, as I show a lot of new users that won't be able to replicate what I do, or care to. When I don't have the pressure of duplication, I might jump back to removing wicks and using the blue, as it will provide some superb hits from a standard atty.

entropy100

Aug 24, 2010
la
ive been playing arround with my ego and tried to enhance the experience. i took out the white fluval tore open a lil bear put its stuffing about 1cm and pretty stuffed to just 1mm below the top of the cart. dripped straight into the fluval till its at the VERY VERY TOP put the atty on. ive done this twice (refill) and its amazing. what do you guys think?

petem

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
va
Does the lil bear still have the tag about what material it was made from? If its ployester it may be ok. I think some of the kids toys may have stuff added for fire resistiance but don't know for sure. Does it wick all or most the juice form the cart? Have you looked into the cart mod fourm ( Cartridge Mods - E-Cigarette Forum). Sounds promising but want everyone to be safe.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
ive been playing arround with my ego and tried to enhance the experience. i took out the white fluval tore open a lil bear put its stuffing about 1cm and pretty stuffed to just 1mm below the top of the cart. dripped straight into the fluval till its at the VERY VERY TOP put the atty on. ive done this twice (refill) and its amazing. what do you guys think?
You can buy a huge bag of that stuff for pillows, so pretty sure it ssimple polyfil. A lot of ppl started out WAY back when using that, as it wicks pretty well. BUT it LOOOOVES to stick to the bridge in atties. It scorches easy too. Thats when blue fluval was invented:p...but if it works for ya, then I guess its your cart:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread