High VG mutes flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
I just started DIY'ing recently and like to mix high VG. My Nic is 100% VG so when I'm done mixing it turns out to 83/17 VG/PG, the PG being the flavors. It's a vanilla custard mix so I end up steeping for about 2 weeks. I like the taste I've been getting but it's a muted taste compared to store bought juices. I'm thinking of upping the percentage to about 25% flavor to see if that helps with the taste. I've read that going higher in flavor percent can decrease the flavor in juices so am I doing the right thing? I don't want to start having to use PG to dilute it more but I will if I have to. Can any one direct me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Are you using heat for steeping? Others have reported that vanillas can take a long time to fully develop, and max VG will slow things down. If you can, try heating it to 150 deg F for 2-4 hours and see if that helps. You might consider adding some water to loosen the VG. I mix my flavorings with a bit of water (5-10% of the final mix) before adding to the VG and base.

nwppwn

Sep 23, 2014
Northeast USA
What flavor percentages are you using now? I rarely go over 15% flavor including sweetener. Are you using any sweetener? I find the vendor custardy juices are full of sweetener and that seems to be the only way to get a similar taste in DIY. I'm fairly new to this as well but I find adding sweetener, EM or cotton candy gives it that 'premium' ejuice taste and brings out the flavors. I also mix with 100% VG nicotine mix and my PG/VG ratio is typically 20/80 or higher VG.

Anyway, give sweetener a shot before going to 25% flavor. I have a sweet tooth and mix about 3-4% in.

ps. if not doing this already give it a hot water bath (or just run the bottle under hot water for a few minutes) to thin it out before vigorously agitating it when you first mix it.

Last edited:

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
I'm thinning my heavy VG with distilled water instead of PG. I'm getting as a good flavor as with a 25% PG. Remember, sometimes increasing the flavor % decreases flavor at a steep rate of decent. If you really want flavor use an rda either conventional or the ultimate bottom feeding Reo mod with a tiny chambered RDA.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I have the same problem as the OP, and steeping alone has not helped at all with muted flavors. I have waited as much as two months for a tobacco flavor to come through without success. Increasing the flavor from say 15% to 18% helps a bit, but not enough. As others have said, distilled water also helps, but again, not enough for me. I have reached the conclusion that juices with high % of vg simply do not have the same flavor. A good compromise for me has been 65% vg, 8% DW and 27% pg.

Last edited:

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
Are you using heat for steeping? Others have reported that vanillas can take a long time to fully develop, and max VG will slow things down. If you can, try heating it to 150 deg F for 2-4 hours and see if that helps. You might consider adding some water to loosen the VG. I mix my flavorings with a bit of water (5-10% of the final mix) before adding to the VG and base.

No heat just regular steep (24hr uncapped then 2 weeks dark cool dry area) just made a second batch last night (25% flavor) and tried heating it up. We'll see how that comes out. Hate the steeping process. Thinking of purchasing an ultrasound cleaner.

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
What flavor percentages are you using now? I rarely go over 15% flavor including sweetener. Are you using any sweetener? I find the vendor custardy juices are full of sweetener and that seems to be the only way to get a similar taste in DIY. I'm fairly new to this as well but I find adding sweetener, EM or cotton candy gives it that 'premium' ejuice taste and brings out the flavors. I also mix with 100% VG nicotine mix and my PG/VG ratio is typically 20/80 or higher VG.

17% flavor with no sweetener. I'll give it a try next batch. Thanks

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
Too many variables. % flavor used. Number of ingredients. Ingredient interaction. Flavor company. Device/wicking. I use 80%+ VG mixes exclusively and have great, potent flavor.

17% flavor.
CAP Vanilla custard 15%, TFA Dulce de Leche 2%
Tobh, plume veil, patriot, copper nemmy. Organic cotton

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm thinning my heavy VG with distilled water instead of PG. I'm getting as a good flavor as with a 25% PG. Remember, sometimes increasing the flavor % decreases flavor at a steep rate of decent. If you really want flavor use an RDA either conventional or the ultimate bottom feeding Reo mod with a tiny chambered RDA.

Will try DW. I only use RDA's these days
Thanks

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
17% flavor.
CAP Vanilla custard 15%, TFA Dulce de Leche 2%
Tobh, plume veil, patriot, copper nemmy. Organic cotton

15% can be quite high with that flavor for some people. I prefer it at 7-8%. Is it the V1 or V2? V2 tastes bad to me. Also, it requires a 2 week steep without heat/shaking for me.

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I was in the same boat as OP. I decided to reduce my percentage to 40/60 pg/vg. I did "step down" in percentage to get my body used to a higher pg ratio, 13/87, 25/75...). Took about 3 weeks. I have used the same Custard recipe 15/2 % recently and did a hot water bath steep to speed the process up and had better results with the 40/60 pg/vg ratio than with higher vg ratios.

Bottom line for me, I haven't had to add EM or sweetener, distilled h2o etc... But adding heat to the steeping process AND lowering my VG to 60% has gotten me a more flavorful juice faster.

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
15% can be quite high with that flavor for some people. I prefer it at 7-8%. Is it the V1 or V2? V2 tastes bad to me. Also, it requires a 2 week steep without heat/shaking for me.

I'm using the V2. No heat but I do leave the bottle uncapped for the first day and shake it occasionally throughout the steep time which is 2 weeks. I will try and make a batch at 7-8% and see how that comes out.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I've found I like higher VG in general, but that's likely because I like sweeter juices. When I make anything else - tobaccos, almond, coffee - they taste better at around 50/50. I don't think VG mutes flavors, but it does change them. Vanilla seems like it takes a long time to come around no matter what your base percentages are, but when it does ripen, it tastes sweeter and richer with a higher VG, I think.

One trick I've learned reading here is to add something else to pop the flavor. Add a little of some other vanilla, some cream, some sweetener, instead of just adding more of the same flavor.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
VG does not mute flavor it just takes longer to steep.

Hi Danny, that is what I thought at first. But I can not explain why my VG tobacco flavor has a weak taste even after 8 weeks of steeping. The same juice with 50% pg only takes 6 weeks or less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread