Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I have switched from a 50/50 mix to Max VG, and the resulting flavor is muted. Increasing the flavor from 2% to 2.75% has helped slightly but not enough. Is there a rule of thumb how much more flavoring I need to add to compensate for the increased VG? I can always experiment but it's a tedious process since I vape mostly FA tobaccos, and without an UC, they require at least 2 weeks of steeping. Suggestions would be highly appreciated.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
From what I've seen, there is no hard and fast rule. If it's not enough flavor for you, add more - I've only tried a few tobaccos, but the people here who use it seem to go from 2 to 5%. Some say add saline, some say vodka or distilled water - all in varying percentages. Try everything. Takes notes. Enjoy the process.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
The key is not in the amount of flavoring you add but how long you let it steep. I went from 75pg/25vg to 65vg/35pg and found the same amount of flavoring works fine for both. The difference is in the amount of time the mix needs to mature (Steep). Because VG is a thicker liquid flavor moves through the mix much slower then a thinner PG mix and needs more time to mature. Heat will help this but nothing works better then more time. It may need a week or more of extra time.

PG is also a better flavor solvent then VG and will mature far faster then VG. Look at it this way. Mix chocolate in milk and it mixes quite fast. Mix chocolate in honey (Not sure why anyone would:) but it works for this example) and it will take much more effort.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for your suggestions.You're asking me to be more patient, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to.... In my particular case, I increased my VG drastically from 50% to 90%. Has any of you actually gone that high on the VG without the need for additional flavoring?

I vape 90VG/10PG unflavored and like it a lot. But I am at 33 mg/ml, so really I'm just in it for the nic. But I do like to play with flavors, so I am curious about the relationship between VG% and flavor concentrations too. But I also see where steeping time would vary too, and danny45's blog discusses some ways to speed that up, but it would be a shame to mix up a big batch based on flavor at 1 day as opposed to flavor after a week or two.

I agree that water helps speed things up too with high VG ratios, and mixing the flavoring and the water first, then adding to the rest of it is probably a good idea, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread