Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterRaccoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
Raccoon City
It costs a ton of money to operate a store so it doesn't seem totally unreasonable and they can sit there and watch their cash flows between the two to see what works best -- what you would normally expect is that they'd actually jack up both prices to something comfortable rather than lowering it online, so at least they're honest about it.

I can't imagine buying a lot of juice from a B&M with so many established Gods of the Internet with years of expertise, but I'm sure there are some good ones out there and a lot of established easy to follow recipes.

Edit: with Alien Visions selling for $16/30ml at this point (picked up three different ones the other day) $20+ juice at a B&M or their online store seems crazy but I'm wondering what they're selling. Can you tell us more and share the URL? I know there's a ton of overpriced juice just for the sake of there being a market but I'm curious about whether they're making it, reselling, etc. My rule of thumb is that your juice needs to have a "Coke-Pepsi-NSA-Level" security clearance wrapped around its recipe (or be a well-executed clone of one of those where YOU now have your own secret recipe) and be staggeringly good before I'll buy anything more than a $3-5 sample.

Edit 2: I totally overlooked the 15-20 minute wait. Either they're killing it with business and need to be devoting some of that online+$3 markup to staffing, or they need some customer service skills. I would've made more of a stink about that to be honest. It can be hard to manage a bunch of customers asking questions and browsing for long periods but you just have to juggle them appropriately, help someone for awhile and then let them think and look around until they've made a decision vs. doing the "one at a time" cell phone store nonsense.

Normally im an online only shopper. Why pay more for the same, right. But in this case, i wanted their honeydew juice. Its just one that i cannot find the way i like it... But there... Ive tried alot, and while good, just not the same as the honeydew i was craving. This b&m kinda has the market here atm, only store i know of so far, ao there really isnt much incentive to keep prices low. Not posting their sitd because im still bitter and refuse to bring customers their way... For now at least. Someday I may succumb to the honeydew blues im going thru..

Sent from the depths of insanity

PhxMike

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
There are probably about 10 stores within 10 miles of work and home here in Phoenix. They run the gamut of poor selection but good customer service to good selection but high prices or poor customer service. Still like to visit them for questions, trying out juices, and tend to purchase toppers and juice. Almost exclusively buy my juices from the stores as I am very picky about what I like and don't like the gamble of online purchasing of juice based on descriptions.

Cap'nTripps

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
The South
Maybe I'm just a bit "old school": I like a brick and mortar store where I can handle and try out any new hardware, it also helps to have knowledgable staff to talk to. So, if I'm buying new hardware, I go to this shop I like. I think I'm biased though; I brought an Evod kit online, and the coils both blew within a couple days, also I'm having trouble with threading; I think my threading is slightly misaligned.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
If you haven't tried this link give it a shot, decent list by state of B&M shops. I don't always find the description of what they sell to be accurate.

USA Ecigarette Directory

ECF also has a store locator, but I find the link above to list more stores (at least in the areas I've searched)

Home - ECF E Cigarette Store Locator

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
There is one B&M shop about 10 minutes from me, and the other is an hour drive. Steam Cigs is the one 10 minutes from me, and I believe it's a nice place to go to. They don't officially sell online, but they do sell E-pipes, and I think this storefront is an extention of their original E-pipe business. Besides their own E-pipes, they do offer Ego to various mechanical mods in their shop. Prices are what you should expect out of a brick and mortar store, slightly higher to keep up with the higher upkeep.

The staff there are extremely knowledgeable and helpful, though you can tell their personal preference is to mechanical mods. They hold a "how to" class every Thursday, and I happen to walk in once on my way home and just listened for a bit. That night, one of their experts were showing people how to wick their coils with cotton. most everyone there was vaping either an Ego/vivi nova setup or a mechanical mod. I felt out of place with my Vamo. From previous visits, I've realized they are firm believers in organic cotton, and they often offer it to their customers free of charge. I'm not much of a talker, but I lurk there from time to time, and they know what they're talking about.

The whole place has a "steam punk" atmosphere which matches their name. Although that is good, It does kind of make me leary to sending people there because of the unorthadox theme. The owner is obviously into steampunk, since his Volkswagon bug parked outside has some gears where there shouldn't be, and metal lattice on the front bumper and pipes.. it looks like he tried to make his VW look steam punk. As unorthadox as it is, they are knowlegable, carry their own line of Ejuice, and are quite friendly. Since the unusual doesn't bother me, I have no problems there, but might heed some warnings if I send someone there.

As an example of their prices, I did pay $30 for a nitecore i4 charger. I haven't checked out their juices, since most of their collection caters to alchahol or tobacco based, where I'm more towards a berry type person. I do buy stuff from there occasionally just to support them.

The one that lives an hour away is Awesome Vapor. Although they are a bit high on their prices, they did get me officially off the stinkies. They too are fairly knowlegable, however their line generaly stops at EGO sized batteries. I was hooked on their RY4 and Dr. Pepper for a while, but compared to some other online prices, they seem to be a bit on the "medium high" side. I haven't went there lately since I have moved passed the EGO sized batteries and are now in the VV/VW mods.

So, for me, I like SteamCigs, but I would hesitate to send someone new to the Ecig community, since any oddities might scare them back into stinkies. Most people are hesitant to switch to E-cigs in the first place, I don't want them to be scared off by my favorite shop.

PghPuffer

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've mainly viewed the B&Ms near me as a portal/testing ground to the online world. I have one that's about 25 minutes from work that lets you taste test the choices, but the batteries are so small and the toppers are hit or miss. I bought an espresso juice form them that tasted like ..., but then got a strawberry cupcake that became my ADV for a while. The one closer to my work was where I got my intro to vaping, but the staff is so hit or miss (they are a cigar/ryo outlet primarily). Once I knew what I liked and could plan ahead I found online to be much better in price, selection, and quality.

I just saw yesterday on my way to work that a hot dog shop is closing and being replaced by a vape shop so I'm hopeful...

danimal40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
Boston
I only have 1 store around here, well 2 stores but they are the same place. Its called ecigbarn and its a rip-off. They used to sell ecblends juice for $1 a ml, the only thing I ever bought there was the dragons blood when my wife ran out. Now they sell their own line for the same price. To give a example they sell cheap $5 china ego 650 battery for $20 and the empire k100 with a blue crap 18350 battery and crappy single charger is $99.99 lol

as you guess I like to walk thru every once in a while and laugh I will never buy another thing there. Oh to make things worse the opened a new store in 1 of the poorest parts of Mass to rob the poor that are trying to quite cigs.. nice

xICooRsYIx

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
I have 1 shop thats about 15 minutes away and that same shop has an area at my local flea markets on sunday which is actually right across the street from their B&M. Its the only shop ive ever been too, but they have seriously grown since i last went about 4 years ago. It use to be mostly egos and then cig-a-likes. But now there is a little variety as far as mods. They have items like the provari, MVP, genesis and a handful of others.

Like most are stating they are much higher priced then online. Not only that but i noticed the price on the nemesis was only 60$. Now im fairly new to vaping, but i know a real nemesis is a lot more then 60$. Which means it was clearly a clone. But they dont have "clone" written on the tag that sits in front of it. So it leads you to think its the real deal, when its not. I didnt like that much.

There is another store located about a half hour from me i would like to check out one day if im ever in the neighborhood.

-xICooRsYIx

Last edited:

WakeUpDead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Ohio, USA
4 of the five around me are basic first time vapor shops, egos and clearos!

The last one has small counter with more advance gear, wire, mesh, wick, a few RBAs and drippers. They have a good selection of devices, very little as in mech mods, maybe 2, huge side for the basic vape supplies and juice bar.

The one word that describes all the B&Ms around me is, EXPENSIVE!

So I shop online most the time, DYI my own juice and yes play the waiting game on Fast Tech "by foot" shipping. What can I do really, Im not paying $4 for a 2m piece of wick and $100 for a Vamo 5 or a 3x4 sheet of mesh for $5, $8 for the 500 mesh, Kanthal, LOL they charge $5 for 3ft, I get 100ft rolls for $6 on Amazon.

I just think If the local B&Ms would sell the advance stuff to their advanced users a bit cheaper we would spend more at their shops! However they make so much off new vapors and egos, cartos, clearos and juice, omg Juice, I guess they feel they can do the same with me even though I would spend a lot more there if they were cheaper.

Lbx!

ECF Veteran
My local shops is fine. Some of their prices are higher than I personally appreciate and YES I do understand brick and mortar costs money to run. I payed $89 for my MVP2, found out I took it in the behind. I do not actually care. They have helped me every time I have needed it. They had the product I wanted, it got me off of cigarettes. I am 100% positive that if they were not there I would still be smoking. They have a pretty solid house line of juices. Their staff ranges from miserable to amazing. If I were rating it on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is I would rather stab my self in the groin than give them more money and 10 is BEST EVAR!! they are probably a solid 7.

Jamie.leigh23

Jan 21, 2014
Epping, NH
I know of 4 stores within about 30 minutes of my house. I've been to two of them. Had good experiences at both overall. One had decent prices on ego stuff, that's where I got my starter kit. Had good juices and you could sample before buying, prices very reasonable. The other has more variety of gear and very good juice. Gear is a bit pricier, juices too but I like their juices a lot, and they aren't too over the top. Both stores are run by super nice guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephreyn

Dec 27, 2013
Where I live practically every smoke shop, cigs or (OTHER SZTUFF) stuff now sells ecigs as well as a few designated ecig shops. The problem is they all carry the same stuff. Alot of places have begun banning ecigs in public, recently a city was proposing the sale of ecigs illegal altogether but they decided to reconsider. Other parts of town have vape bars where you can chill and vap flavors before you buy and theyll build coils up for up etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cap'nTripps

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
The South
It's surprising how many types of shops sell the cheap rechargeable and disposable cig-a-likes: I've seen them in chemists, pubs, nightclubs. As for speciality shops that sell the full kit, we have 2 in our town, and their prices I'd say were around 5-10% more expensive than ordering online, so pretty fair considering you're not paying postage.

The general consensus on this thread seems to be that most B&M shops charge way more than is fair. Considering everybody has net access these days, and that the prices are far cheaper online! I wonder if there's a future for these stores? I really hope so; you can't hold something from a website in your hand before spending money after all, and you can't beat technical support and advice from a flesh-and-blood person, even if their agenda is to sale you more than you need.

FlyD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Finland
The one shop I know about around here is utterly expensive and only carries knock offs (not even decent clones), besides that e-liquids containing nicotine are only available with a doctor's prescription... I'll just buy online as it is legal to order e-liquids with nicotine from other EU member states.

Sent from ΣΟΦΙΑ using Atmizoo Roller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread