Status
Not open for further replies.

humpstyles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I recently purchased an eVic at a B&M cigarstore about a week ago. They're getting in more and more vapegear and are making their own juice now. The clerk threw in a free clearomizer since the eVic comes standalone.

After more and more research, I can finally officially say I have a clone. Initially I was skeptical because the box he removed it from had about 40 others (IIRC, I noticed a ton of Protank and Viva Nova clones too), and the box looked like it was made to deliver prizes at an arcade - cheap cardboard, generic font, etc. lol.

Other than that telltale sign, it has 2 holes on the atty base @ 0 degrees and 180 degrees. It also has the 'ledge shoulder' instead of a smooth contour. The worst part is that I've only had it roughly 6 days and it is leaking bad. Seems like the wick is already shot. Gonna go demand a few heads to hold me over.

I'm ordering a 5pk from Kanger's website, an iClear 30b, and a Smoktech ARO. That'll do it.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Honestly, the only thing that concerns me about clones is the safety - watching a lot of documentaries on cloned products in general, it would seem that the manufacturing in China is not always what you'd call safe or healthy, especially if it's something you use to ingest anything.

Other than that, for whoever doesn't mind the shipping times, it would seem that people have about as much luck getting clones to work as the real thing, if not better. My Protank II came in the official sealed box (pretty hard for anyone to replicate), and I purchased all of the heads from the same vendor (one of the most trusted here), yet I've had clone quality out of it since day one. Coils not heating up evenly, popping noises galore, so much acrid feedoff from the wick, and leaks galore if I change anything.

I really can say the exact same thing about the iClear (which had a code I made SURE to check on Innokin's site) and the Aro Tank (which may be a clone because of how poorly it was made, so many defects with it and its heads that it was unreal.)

My personal wish in the vaping world is that American companies start making coils, or at least rebuilding them all the way. Without a doubt, I can say that I've simply had better luck with the rare, few types of atomizers and coils that have been built or re-coiled in the USA. Not "vaping achieved" kind of luck, but generally, the tastes have been better and there have been times of a successful vape, whereas with anything overseas, it's pretty much been straight duds right from the start.

I'm sure it involves a lot more workflow than simply making juice, but you'd think that with all the juice vendors competing, that even one of them would try to make a nice niche in the market by sitting down and focusing on building heads that work as-is and seem to work every time with all the normal juices. They can test them with flavorless PG first for all I care, I'd rather recieve some vendor's wet wick than continuing to try and vape heads that just don't seem to work and seem to be adding no telling what contaminants and feedoff to my lungs.

I actually had a clearomizer once that was like 1/4th filled with some type of flavorless PG or primer, and it was the best vape I ever got. I jusit it let it drip out and I filled up the clearo and to my surprise, great vape. Dunno if it kept the coil or wick from drying out or what, or if the primer did a good job of keeping contaminants from latching onto the tank, but for some reason, that specific clearo gave me the absolute best vape to date. So if a vendor used flavorless PG to test out all coils, I certainly wouldn't mind, wouldn't bug me.
\

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Honestly, the only thing that concerns me about clones is the safety - watching a lot of documentaries on cloned products in general, it would seem that the manufacturing in China is not always what you'd call safe or healthy, especially if it's something you use to ingest anything.

Other than that, for whoever doesn't mind the shipping times, it would seem that people have about as much luck getting clones to work as the real thing, if not better. My Protank II came in the official sealed box (pretty hard for anyone to replicate), and I purchased all of the heads from the same vendor (one of the most trusted here), yet I've had clone quality out of it since day one. Coils not heating up evenly, popping noises galore, so much acrid feedoff from the wick, and leaks galore if I change anything.

I really can say the exact same thing about the iClear (which had a code I made SURE to check on Innokin's site) and the Aro Tank (which may be a clone because of how poorly it was made, so many defects with it and its heads that it was unreal.)

My personal wish in the vaping world is that American companies start making coils, or at least rebuilding them all the way. Without a doubt, I can say that I've simply had better luck with the rare, few types of atomizers and coils that have been built or re-coiled in the USA. Not "vaping achieved" kind of luck, but generally, the tastes have been better and there have been times of a successful vape, whereas with anything overseas, it's pretty much been straight duds right from the start.

I'm sure it involves a lot more workflow than simply making juice, but you'd think that with all the juice vendors competing, that even one of them would try to make a nice niche in the market by sitting down and focusing on building heads that work as-is and seem to work every time with all the normal juices. They can test them with flavorless PG first for all I care, I'd rather recieve some vendor's wet wick than continuing to try and vape heads that just don't seem to work and seem to be adding no telling what contaminants and feedoff to my lungs.

I actually had a clearomizer once that was like 1/4th filled with some type of flavorless PG or primer, and it was the best vape I ever got. I jusit it let it drip out and I filled up the clearo and to my surprise, great vape. Dunno if it kept the coil or wick from drying out or what, or if the primer did a good job of keeping contaminants from latching onto the tank, but for some reason, that specific clearo gave me the absolute best vape to date. So if a vendor used flavorless PG to test out all coils, I certainly wouldn't mind, wouldn't bug me.
\
They do have a product like that. They are called rebuildable atomizers (AKA RBA's). You have one, I believe. The AGA-T, if I'm not mistaken. A Genisis type atty, designed for mesh wicks. If you would spend a few bucks and buy a Kayfun clone, you could use an RBA that was designed to use silica, cotton, or ekowool...
You won't do that, of course. You would rather stay in your vaping hell and search for the one perfect clearomizer.

Let's address your rant about the safety of clones! You claim that clones are unsafe because they are made in China. So by your own logic, genuine Evods must also be unsafe because *gasp* they are also made in China, by a Chinese company! You mention the ProTank II, the iClear, and the Aro tank, none of which are relevant to this thread, and fail to mention the Evod- which is what this thread is about.

But someone else might read this, and it might help that person, and that is why I write this.

I like Evods, and I've used both clones and the real deal on my ProVari. I've noticed that with the ProVape stainless steel 510 to Ego adapter, about 30% of the clone Evod heads won't screw onto the adapter. The tolerances are too out of whack. Edit: and the adapter isn't the problem.

Oh and as for your comment about the Kanger ProTank "official" box being hard to replicate- :lol::lol::lol: I honestly don't know if it's been done, but trust me, it would not be difficult for Chinese companies to do. Heck, they could even order the official box (and holographic stickers) from the company that makes the boxes and the stickers, and put their clones in them.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

\

You sure seem ready to jump on the "vaping is unhealthy" train with your cotton is dangerous, silica is dangerous, contaminants in heads are dangerous "malarcky"... Just curious, are you also on a Big Tobacco forum complaining incessantly about all the chemicals and poisons prevalent in the cigarettes that YOU STILL SMOKE??? Or are you writing mini novels telling everybody that you can't seem to keep your Marlboro lit and it's driving you to vape? Or do you just save up all that crap and feed it to us?

Furthermore, you actually vaped off a tank that was delivered 1/4th full???? You are absolutely impossible to take seriously.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ANY AND ALL NEW VAPERS: Please, NEVER vape anything from a tank that shows up to your door containing liquid in it. This act is considered reckless and totally ignorant.
Hopefully , this admission of the stupidest act known to man will discredit anything else being produced by this poster.

Last edited:

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
I had moved away from EVOD's to something else and just made my way back to them.
My old EVOD's were clones from my favorite love the prices, but hate the wait Hong Kong site:)
This time I didn't have the patience to wait for the HK mail person to walk to RI, so I sprang for a real Kangertech EVOD and real Kangertech heads. I must say there is a huge difference between the real vs the fakes.
The real one just plane works better - more consistent flavor and vapor output. The draw is less airy too.
IMHO - EVOD's are one of those things that are worth paying the extra for the name-brand product.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I had moved away from EVOD's to something else and just made my way back to them.
My old EVOD's were clones from my favorite love the prices, but hate the wait Hong Kong site:)
This time I didn't have the patience to wait for the HK mail person to walk to RI, so I sprang for a real Kangertech EVOD and real Kangertech heads. I must say there is a huge difference between the real vs the fakes.
The real one just plane works better - more consistent flavor and vapor output. The draw is less airy too.
IMHO - EVOD's are one of those things that are worth paying the extra for the name-brand product.

It seems as if all those who complain about the Evod leaking and poor draw are the ones who saved a few bucks buying the cheap clone and cheap coils.

Sphinx

Jan 29, 2014
Tennessee
While most of the above is true, it's pretty easy to tell the real KangerTech stuff from the clones. I have both in front of me to compare.

All that being said, I have used both with no issues.

I have some new Kanger EVOD tanks that arrived from Kanger this afternoon. These do have a slight ridge around the top, though nothing like the clones. The windows are shorter on the original ones in my sample as well.

The biggest thing I notice is that Kanger puts the word "KangerTech (tm)" with their round "K" logo to the left, and under it, it says just "EVOD", without the quotes. None of the knockoffs I have ever run across actually label them like that.

Also, Kanger doesn't put anything else on the tank itself, just the base. If it says EVOD BCC or something, it didn't come from Kanger ...at least none of mine have it, and I KNOW they are KangerTech. I order them directly from KangerTechUS.

I'm adding these to my shop right now. The pictures wil be up once I take them in the next 30 minutes or so at Electronic Cigarette Hardware, E-Liquid, E-Juice, Atomizers, Tanks, Cartomizers, E-Cigarette Supplies

bover907

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2014
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
I recently purchased an EVOD starter kit (purple) for my wife from Vape Dojo. It was Authentic. If you're concearned, KangerTech has a list of authorized vedndors at their website. The Kit's box had a scratch-off on the bottom, where you put the code on Kanger's website, and it verified it as an authentic product. It took almost a week for her kit to come in, so rather than wait, the Wife went to the local B&M to get me a kit as a supprise, and it was a knock off, for $15 more, I might add!

The box was different, it didn't come with as many replacement coils (2 instead of 5), and everything looked cheaper. I noticed the authentic Kanger battery had a vent on the bottom cap, where the knockoff didn't. there was no etched or printed labels anywhere on the battery or clearo with the knockoff. My Knockoff did have two holes half way down the base, instead of the 3 @ 1/3 down the base like the real Kanger tank.

Needless to say, I put it right back in the box, and I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow, and will order from the same vendor I ordered my wife's from.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
"KangerTech is issuing an extension of warranty on all of its current tank models." "As well, KangerTech will be replacing any DOA coils."

As such, the vendors are getting that warranty, and should have no problem passing it on to their customers. The reputable ones do anyway.

As for genuine, if a vendor tells me something is genuine, and it isn't, then I will "out" them, that's for sure.

jimivapr

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Boston
I've been burnt by bogus evods as well. The taste I got from it was terrible and nearly stopped me from vaping. Also, the bogus twist battery that came with it was also causing nasty taste (not sure how that is, but it is). Took a while, but I eventually figured this nasty problem out. This industry (and this forum) has a huge 'clone' problem. I feel bad for the companies who are trying to create a solid product and instead get overwhelmed but ripoff crap. These 'clones' have really caused me to waste a lot of cash, and that sucks. It's odd that this appears rampant in this industry and even more odd that so many people on this forum seem to support this... gives the whole thing a bad taste!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayQC

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Canada
I bought an EVOD and I believe my vendor sold me a genuine battery (All markings + the chrome end of the battery has the K logo) but a knockoff tank with 2.2mm windows....

I have yet to validate my serial number on their website though...

I also noticed on the box that the starter kit came in that the picture of the black EVOD on it was kind of grainy.

Not sure if it's normal or not, but it made me second guess my purchase...

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Mine just arrive this morning, ordered very late on Friday night (may as well say Saturday morning @3AM), the KangerTech Protank-II.

Fantastic price of $9.95 + $2.95 shipping & eXtreme Fast Ship from MN (eBay seller) to to my door inside of 60 hours after ordering!

Don't have another to compare, but did to the the KangerTech site (not the one on the package), there was a link validate the serial number, all was fine. However I was nervous at first, it didn't go through the first time because I included the spaces (error code of too many). Once I retyped the string of numbers as a whole, it shown to be Genuine.

Back when I got my first mod, this was the first tank that my distributor had me try, it was like really leaky, even from the go & after changing coils twice. He took it back & furnished a DPure PuriTank, it's so-so, but I deal with gurgling. May have to do with it being glued together. Branded KangerTech coils improved this, but didn't eliminate the issue.

Which leads me to wonder, if the PuriTank is a knockoff too.

Just got through filling the Protank II, if this is a knockoff, it's a mighty good one.....zero gurgling, no leaks, perfect vape! I bet anything the first one that came with my mod was a knockoff, as I don't recall seeing the small card in the box to check the serial.

Above, I stated having nothing to compare to, well I soon will, as am headed over to get another before they're all gone! Quality vaping products at low prices are hard to come by, as these were $20 last year & still $16-$17 now on some sites. This is the best $12.90 that I've spent on vaping gear.

Thanks to jimivapr for creating this topic for discussion.

Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
This is the KangerTech ProTank II that I purchased, for anyone who may be interested.

Genuine Kanger Protank 2 | eBay

I like to share a good deal when one can be found on this stuff, as Quality Vaping supplies on the Cheap are hard to find. Still no gurgles, am tickled pink to have my first larger tank that doesn't gurgle or leak.

Cat

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
.There's one at 0 degrees, one at 120 and one at 240......The original Evod tank's viewing window is 2.0cm long. The clones have a window that is 2.2cm long......

So the window is 25/32". Mine is engrave Kanger Evon and the 3 holes are just as you say but window is 55/64 or 2.2cm. Mine also has a plastic inner tank not glass.....Guess mine are clones....

So whom ever makes the clones engraves right, gets the holes right, but the windows .2cm to long, is that right?

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
This is the KangerTech ProTank II that I purchased, for anyone who may be interested.

Genuine Kanger Protank 2 | eBay

I like to share a good deal when one can be found on this stuff, as Quality Vaping supplies on the Cheap are hard to find. Still no gurgles, am tickled pink to have my first larger tank that doesn't gurgle or leak.

Cat

Did it have a scratchoff w/code underneath on the box? If not then as far as Kanger Warranty goes, its a clone.....Kanger states at their site if it doesn't have a scratchoff code to athenticate it, its a clone. I emailed them and thats exactly what they said in their reply.

I just ordered an EVOD on eBay, says it's genuine, but we'll see on Monday when I get it. The picture they have of the actual ones (it's one that has multiple available) are genuine with the logo, KangerTech with the registered trademark sign and EVOD without parenthesis. If it is a clone, at least it was super cheap so I'm not out too much. I'll be upset though. I'm excited for the bottom coils, my top coils are driving me nuts. I can't let it go less than halfway or they burn out super fast. I'm not too confident about my technical abilities to go into building my own, so I hope my EVOD works out!

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Is this a real Kanger Battery.

Genuine Kanger 650mAh 1000 mAh VV Twist Replacement Battery Variable Voltage | eBay

After picking color it shows a kanger box but it shows no scratch code on the box. It does show a photo of Kanger emblem on base, looks etched.

I dont have a VV, just the regular battery but that looks like it very well is legit.. I bought my Evod kit almost a month ago, it came with scratch code on the bottom of the box, as well as having a card inside to write the numbers down on too.. Shortly after I got it, I saw someone selling a 'genuine' kit in the classifieds here and almost called BS on it but it was already sold by the time I saw the listing.. The batteries in it just said EVOD on the end, as did the head I believe.. Mine says Kangertech EVOD on both the head and the battery with the registered trademark symbol next to the Kangertech logo. My battery looks just like those Twists on ebay only the code number on the bottom with the engraving says P1401, the Twists say P1402..

I thought the scratchcode thing was a fairly new thing to the Kanger boxes though?? Isnt it possible maybe those batteries are a few months or a year old and have the old packaging??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread