Is it true that Kanger is phasing out the evod coils? (instead using the Protanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I still don't understand why kanger would do this when we, the customer, like the evod heads better than the protank heads for the most part.

This doesn't effect me because I i build. I have like 16 total that should last me for years, or until something better comes out.

I'm pretty sure the reason is to foil the counterfeiters putting out evod clones. A friend of mine has one genuine Kanger evod he got from me and two clones he got on eBay. The longer stem heads don't work well with the clones. The air tube is too long, causing the base not to seal properly with the tank.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm pretty sure the reason is to foil the counterfeiters putting out evod clones. A friend of mine has one genuine Kanger evod he got from me and two clones he got on eBay. The longer stem heads don't work well with the clones. The air tube is too long, causing the base not to seal properly with the tank.

That makes sense. Give it a month and they'll be making clones of the protank heads lol.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I still don't understand why kanger would do this when we, the customer, like the evod heads better than the protank heads for the most part.

This doesn't effect me because I i build. I have like 16 total that should last me for years, or until something better comes out.

I'd say most of us prefer the tighter draw that the shorter, smaller ID posts give us.
Kanger knows we prefer the Evod coils. Sales of replacement coils show them.
I bet that Kanger is dumping their Protank coil stock so they don't take the $$ hit.
They'll "change their minds" in a month or two and switch back to coils with the short post.
Just watch

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'd say most of us prefer the tighter draw that the shorter, smaller ID posts give us.
Kanger knows we prefer the Evod coils. Sales of replacement coils show them.
I bet that Kanger is dumping their Protank coil stock so they don't take the $$ hit.
They'll "change their minds" in a month or two and switch back to coils with the short post.
Just watch

They're not just short, the post is wider. Proof is the T4 from Fasttech, the coil screws but won't fit into the air column. That kept me from buying any more eVod heads, they won't work on T4.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
The other possibility is that the new heads are as much eVod as protank... has anyone tried them back to back with the old eVod heads?

Someone could post a side by side picture of the posts' ID like this:

9217918426_30ba9fece0_o.jpg

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
thought I read somewhere that you can pull the post off of either head and that they are interchangeable. couldn't one just keep reusing the short posts on their evod heads and pop them onto the new longer stemmed ones?

Could be... I haven't tried, thanks for the heads up!

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
I just bought a new Evod from my fav B&M. I guess the good news is it's genuine, because the not so good news is that the head that came in it is the longer post Protank type one. I would almost swear that the center post hole is just a bit wider than the one that came with the ProTank, but that's just eyeballing it. I'm not using it right now, put in one of my spare shorter Evod heads so can't say how it works. Other than that I don't see any differencein this one and the Protank head. Caveat here: I'm of the female persuasion, have no tech/mech skills whatsoever and no mechy tools to measure or tamper with stuff. (Well, I do have DH's ToolBoxOfTheGods but wouldn't even know where to start looking for whatzits in there LOL)

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Well... if the draw in the new head is too loose, and the post is doing it, I have a bunch of spent coils I am keeping around for when I get to getting some Kanthal and wick. I'll just swap posts, if they fit of course.

I think it's actually the size of the hole in the contact piece at the base of the head (the piece that contacts the positive battery or mod post). The Protank part has tapered or chamfered sides and a larger center hole, while the EVOD part is not tapered and has a smaller center hole. The difference may be important because a smaller hole at the bottom will result in higher negative pressure at the wicks during a draw, which will make it wick better. A smaller hole at the post will result in higher negative pressure inside the mouthpiece but not at the wicks, which won't help better wicking.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I just bought a new Evod from my fav B&M. I guess the good news is it's genuine, because the not so good news is that the head that came in it is the longer post Protank type one. I would almost swear that the center post hole is just a bit wider than the one that came with the ProTank, but that's just eyeballing it. I'm not using it right now, put in one of my spare shorter Evod heads so can't say how it works. Other than that I don't see any differencein this one and the Protank head. Caveat here: I'm of the female persuasion, have no tech/mech skills whatsoever and no mechy tools to measure or tamper with stuff. (Well, I do have DH's ToolBoxOfTheGods but wouldn't even know where to start looking for whatzits in there LOL)

If you have no whatzits and no tech skills, do you have a camera? Lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread