I hate posting this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
So, after dozens and dozens of attempts to make a juice I like, one that is semi-sweet, full bodied flavor, one that leaves a great taste in your mouth and throat after you exhale, I've only come up with one very simple recipe that still falls short but is vapeable. 12% raspberry and 2% cotton candy....both LA flavorings. It's not bad, but it certainly isn't great. So, here I sit looking at the 32 different LA flavors I have and the 25 TFA flavorings I have and wonder if I will ever get there.

I have tried to create numerous juices with the emphasis on peanut butter recipes, bananas foster recipe (well one only as its the only one I've found, it does have 2 variations to it though), and coffee recipes. All have been lacking, some tremendously so. I use E-juice Me Up, have made probably 2-3 dozen recipes from Breaktru's database. Finding a store bought juice was just as tough, and although I have tried many store boughts, none have I purchased more than once, except for High Desert Vapes Bananas Foster.

I use syringes to measure with, my juices are 70/30, now at 15mg nic. I used carto tanks and Vivi Novas regularly and am re-starting up a few RBAs and RDAs. I use VW and Mech devices. Don't know if that makes any difference, but I though ya should know.

Just celebrated my 1yr birthday of no analogs....this is not the time to give up but it is past time to expand my knowledge and my abilities to be self sufficient in the juice arena. So, without giving up, where do I go from here?

Thanks folks,
Big Mac

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Not a heavy diy-er myself, but I have tried a few times. I find its like anything else. You need practice, a whole lot of patience, and a knack for it. We didn't learn to cook in our first attempt and while mixing ejuice is really nothing like cooking or baking, it does take time. dont make big batches of anything until you've tried a much smaller amt that you are happy with. Make sure you write down everything you are doing so you can repeat it in a larger batch. I am not familar with LA flavorings. Maybe its the flavorings that aren't satisfactory. When you ordered ejuice from vendors do you know what they use? some use flavor west, some tpa, some flavour art. I am sure there are others out there. have you read the diy forum? I am just asking so please don't be offended. I have been vaping for 3 years and still won't attempt any more than 2 flavors put together. It can be tough, I know. Sorry if these things are ones you already know or have tried, just trying to help.
:)

ps. another thought....maybe it the base ejuice you are using. I have read there is a difference in taste from vendor to vendor. some like the peppery taste that MFS has. Adds to throat hit. Others like a smoother vape. That also may be the problem.

Last edited:

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I order my flavors from "perfumers apprentice" and they are wonderful. I feel very fortunate that I chose them the first time and I've never looked for another provider. I like bold taste like Black Cherry, Pineapple, and Extra Blueberry. I always make a 1ml tester before making a bottle of any ejuice or combo (write down what's what) so I can be sure I like it or need to alter it in anyway. Good luck to you!

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Howdy S and S,

Thanks for a quick helping hand. Yeah, I've been trying for about 6 or so months to make more than a simple juice, heck, I'd be happy if I could find one or two more simple juices that would fit the bill, lol.

I usually make juice in 5 ml batches. A large number of the recipes I've tried are from the DIY forums, not just from E-Juice Me Up. The LA (LorAnnes) are what I started with as they were readily available, but my bag of flavorings now includes TFA and a few FWs as I figured it might be the flavorings I have used. Hasn't made a difference I'm afraid. As to the practice, I've had quite a bit but can always use more, as to the patience, I guess I wrote the post because that's what I'm beginning to run out of. I just emptied out 6 x 5ml bottles of attempts made last week.

Thanks for the words and help and kind words are always welcomed.

Mac

Ross DaBoss

Sep 15, 2013
US
I started making my own juices recently after reading forums on it for about 50 hours or more, and have a decent recipe for a peanut butter cup... It was my starter and needs tweaking before it is fantastic.

10% tfa peanut butter
10% tfa chocolate
I mixed it to 70pg and 30 vg at 18 mg...
After putting it in a bottle, I shook for about 15-20 seconds and gave it a warm bath in a bowl of water I had microwaved for about a minute for 10 minutes, after that it went into my cabinet.
everyday I would shake and burp (not sure how much it matters) today was the third day. I checked it and added 5 drops of tfa cotton candy (sweetener kind, not circus). Even though it is still clear, it smelled so good I filled a kanger T3s and it is pretty good! I put the rest back in the cabinet for further steeping.

My problem is the chocolate I have is not quite what I am wanting... need to look into my options on that!!!

never give up, I have learned it is more like growing a plant than just mixing juice... You have to care for it and it takes time!

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Since your not just having issues with your DIY mixes, but store bought as well, perhaps its time to look in a new direction? Is your hardware where it needs to be for your satisfaction, not only what you use but how you use it can make worlds of difference. I'm a tough pleaser as well, many juices just don't seem to taste like much. Just got an IGO W, and started dripping with a cotton wick, made a pretty big difference. I'm still dialing in my hardware, and I have a long way to go.

I'll be starting my journey into DIY tomorrow when the mailman brings my package!

Not saying your hardware is insufficient, or your technique, just something for you to consider.

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Don't feel bad. The only luck I have with juice is when I use Super Concentrates or recipes that others have perfected. I just don't have the patience to find the perfect percentage when doing my own. I am getting better but as others have said, it takes time. Until then, I recommend perfecting single flavors first. They are much easier than multiple flavored recipe type deals.

Ross DaBoss

Sep 15, 2013
US
I am thinking I may have over shot the flavor on it actually... it tastes amazing the first few hits when I pick it up, but then kinda gets weak tasting. I am gonna try it at about 7.5% each next time and see how I like it! It was still better than most stuff from my local shop!!!
I started making my own juices recently after reading forums on it for about 50 hours or more, and have a decent recipe for a peanut butter cup... It was my starter and needs tweaking before it is fantastic.

10% tfa peanut butter
10% tfa chocolate
I mixed it to 70pg and 30 vg at 18 mg...
After putting it in a bottle, I shook for about 15-20 seconds and gave it a warm bath in a bowl of water I had microwaved for about a minute for 10 minutes, after that it went into my cabinet.
everyday I would shake and burp (not sure how much it matters) today was the third day. I checked it and added 5 drops of tfa cotton candy (sweetener kind, not circus). Even though it is still clear, it smelled so good I filled a kanger T3s and it is pretty good! I put the rest back in the cabinet for further steeping.

My problem is the chocolate I have is not quite what I am wanting... need to look into my options on that!!!

never give up, I have learned it is more like growing a plant than just mixing juice... You have to care for it and it takes time!

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I do not DIY juice but have a couple of friends that have been doing it for a while. You have chosen difficult flavors for even the experts to perfect. Try for some simpler mixes to start. The coffees, chocolates and bananas foster are tough ones, even for experienced Diyers. Good luck to you. Try a different source for your nic base and use all your flavorings from the same vendor.

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Mac,

I have some sound advice....

if you do not succeed, keep trying, but have a method to your madness.

Here is what I did:

I tried lots of juices until I found the one that clicked, many companies have samplers now...

Once you find one that clicks, try to copy and improve it.

Also I also use Perfumers Apprentice flavorings, they are very concentrated, and you can even ask about specific flavors and if you need them tweaked they have a lot of concentrates, and by special request will adjust the intensity (you may have to buy a pint to get them to do that)...I cannot speak for them, but they have gone out of they way to help me with my flavor needs.

Keep asking questions, one of us may not have the answer, but collectively we can help you.

Great job on staying off the cigs, I know it can be a real PITA in the beginning, it was for me until I found the right combination...for me it's basically a 50/50 mix VG to PG with intense flavors..

I love Peachy Menthol and Fire and Ice (Red Hots with Menthol).

I like Cola and Root beer too, but they have to be like drinking a ice cold coke, or a frosty A&W..

Best,

ItTechy

yellowsnow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
New Mexico
I'm sure you are aware but steeping seems to play a big part. I would not throw out your mixes put them away for awhile. danny45 for instance steeps Black Honey Tobacco for 5 weeks for the flavor to finally be where it should be. Also it seems less % of flavorings sometimes means better tasting. Just my $.02.

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
To get more of a "full bodied flavor" you might experiment with adding a tobacco flavor to you mixes. I use a lot of Seedman TOB506 commercial tobacco (bought from Seedman). I made a cherry tobacco last night using a 4% Seedman/4% 7 leaves base. (Also added 1% Vape Wizard.) Not quite the flavor I'm looking for but it is very smooth and full bodied.

Here is a good place to get a variety of tobacco flavors. Tobacco Flavor for e-liquids | ecigExpress

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
To All,

Thanks for the encouraging words, ideas and input.

To answer a variety of the questions and reply to comments....

...yeah, steeping is an important part of mixing. I've used warm baths, ultrasonic, and just good ole time.
...gear, I use a zmax, a modded siegeli 8 (just got my SG1 kit) and various other mech and VV/VW devices
...heads, usually carto tanks as well as Vision ViVi Novas, I'm setting up my RSST today (I have some experience with RBAs and mesh), couple of AGAs, chobras, 3 different IGOs, and again, a variety of other items. I rebuild the heads on the ViVis with cotton, build all my own coils. What would you suggest as a good combo?

Rick, I just can't do tobacco....wife is an ex-smoker as well, and just the smell of tobacco, at times, makes both of us want a smoke.....even after her being off analogs for 3 yrs and me for 1yr. I know that places some restrictions on available options, but it is what it is. I know a few folks that use tobac juices and some smell wonderful.

JC.....huh? could you further explain....never heard of using vinegar or saline.

ItTechy, I tried menthol in the beginning, I was a 2PAD menthol smoker, and no juice I purchased did anything for me, maybe its time I tried mixing some menthol juice up myself since its been so long. I do have menthol crystals sitting here in my box, as well as some kolada. I'll have to take a look around to see the best way to make menthol juice using the crystals.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Mac

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
OP...Please keep trying. Yuky creations are part of the journey and so is frustration. I've had plenty during the last month.

I see you like Peanut Butter and we already have one recipe in this thread. To underscore what others have said, I'm not talented enough yet to dream up a juice out of the blue. So I take the recipes that others have posted and mix them. Often I tweak and change to see if I can produce my own twist. That's exactly what happened when I created Elvis. See my post:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/466243-my-first-go-dry4-2.html#post10664059

I mixed the original, ran some google searches and found the special edition. Bingo I said so off I went to create my own twist on a very very old recipe. I love it and hope others will also, or better yet create a twist on my twist. Fun!

Enjoy and good luck. :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
To All,

Thanks for the encouraging words, ideas and input.

To me it sounds like your experienced and knowledgeable in mixing. It seems you've done your homework and just haven't hit on your sweet spot as far as mixes go. I honestly don't think your doing anything wrong and it all boils down to flavorings. I myself went through the same things you have and have had the same fustrations. For me it boiled down to flavorings. I found the hangsen line of flavorings worked for me. So I think you need to venture out of the family of flavorings your using now and look into others. Give the hangsen flavors a try. At this point what have you got to loose. You can find them here.

Hangsen e-Liquid Flavoring | ecigExpress

there is also a dedicated thread on them here.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/440440-hangsen-thread.html

drivesbarefoot

Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Cedar Falls, Iowa USA
Big Mac, it sounds like you have lots more experience with this than me, I've only been DIY for about a month. My first few batches of recipes that were highly rated didn't turn out that great for me either. Ok but not great. So I thought I better slow down and just do one flavor recipes. I had initially gone overboard and ordered about 35 different flavors right off the bat. So what I've done is mix 10cc batches of about 20 single flavors in my preferred nic strength. Each one alone is good but of course not the sophisticated flavor I was looking for. My flavors are mostly sweet fruit types and don't need a lot of steeping, except I've found the vanilla's are better after at least a week or more.

What evolved next is now when I fill up my clearo I just pick a flavor and then add a little bit of this or that other flavor. It's working for me right now and I'm satisfied with it. I've learned which ones go well together and which don't. But even with this haphazard way of doing it, I haven't mixed something that was terrible (yet!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread