I'm new here - vaping doesn't seem to work

vforvendetta

Aug 29, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm a fairly light smoker who wants to switch to vaping but for some reason it just doesn't work. I've tried liquids of every kind (both freebase and salts) with different strengths (everything from 3mg to 20) and different PG/VG proportions: it always seems to cause issues for me, mainly a tight chest for a few days which eventually subsides. Sometimes the tightness comes immediately after one puff, other times its gradual after I start using it more frequently. I've also had this problem with iqos.

Does anyone have any advice?

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
This was a problem I developed. You may have to wind up using a rebuildable and making your own juice. It can be either a careful recipie thing in which case you can make stuff that’s better than store bought, or a quicko slap dash thing like I do it (I just measure by eye and use single flavors). Either way it’s either cheaper or much cheaper. The rebuildable mod will have a higher initial cost but a much lower variable cost. If you do it this way Vaping is vastly cheaper than smoking cigarettes. If you do it this way think of it as buying by the carton. Your first carton is about the same price, maybe a bit more, but your second carton is about ten bucks. (Yes. Much cheaper)

Last edited:

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Vaping requires an adjustment, also physically. Discomfort is to be expected.

There's the fact that you're inhaling an aerosol. Little droplets of liquid that easily settle on the surface of your airways. This is something the body needs to adjust to, some people deal better with it than others, but it takes individually varying amounts of time. Droplet size differs depending on composition of vaping liquid and vaporiser temperature.

There's VG, it is sticky and a humectant. Instead of exposing your airways to hot, drying smoke, you are now exposing them to lukewarm, moisturising vapor. The VG that remains behind after exhaling needs to be dealt with by the body. The tissues need to adjust to the new moisture balance. Especially when first starting, the laxative properties of VG are also noticeable to new vapers.

There's PG, it's a solvent. It is irritating and can cause contact allergies, more likely so with repeat exposure. It leaves behind very little residu, but causes a mild burning sensation. The vapor produced by this product is lighter, but due to the solvent properties, feels more acrid.

There are flavors. From sweeteners to nature identical aroma's and menthol. Each flavor compound has its own effects. Menthol for example is irritating, sweeteners cause carbonised residu on coils that you inhale as small particles, many other flavor compounds are a question mark as of yet.

There's nicotine. The salts or freebase compound used will be easier to inhale or more difficult to tolerate. The effects vary, for the sensation, discounting the hormonal reaction of the body, fluctuations in heart rate and blood flow are important. As you change the type or dosage of a substance that is known to affect the blood flow, you will likely feel a difference in the tissues most immediately affected by it.

There's the materials of coil and wick. Although good coils release limited amounts of metal particles into vapor, they still do. Although properly moist wicking fiber doesn't really burn all that much, it still does.

You can't get around these elements, but can try different approaches by varying the compounds in your vape juice and the amount you inhale, the temperature and type of coil etc.

My optimal solution is a 50 50 unflavoured juice at 20 mg salt nic with - for kick- a few drops of 20 mg freebase nic 50 50 unflavoured juice and a few drops of 20 mg high PG, high flavor spearmint or menthol juice. All this in a little aspire pod system with adjustable airflow and basic wattage control. It gets me lightheaded in a few drags and burns pleasantly like a cigarette. I have to put the thing down after.

Given the highly problematic composition of vapor, it is best to inhale as little as possible. To guarantee optimal safety, it is best to only buy high quality products, that are sold in the most regulated markets, to use them as indicated and to reduce or discontinue their use when their adverse effects are too taxing.

And it's still a ton better than smoking.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
I found freebase nic to have much less kick than salts. It was the whole point. If you look at the blood level graphs salts are much shorter acting. They have this spike in the graph that is very sharp. This is a reason salts were NOT used at all originally. Salts are commonplace in nicotine gum which was out before e-cigs. So it was known, cheaper, and more available. But until JUUL came out they weren’t used. The thing about freebase is it doesn’t have spikes in the graph making it less addictive. For somone trying to quit freebase is better than salts. It’s easier to get off them.
The process of quitting is quite slow with e-cigs. You lower your nicotine concentration bit by bit. This is easy at first because you can just buy a lower concentration but the concentrations generally go 24, 18, 12, 9, 6, 3, 0. Notice how the concentration reductions are fractional until 6 where it’s halved, and after 3 there is nothing? This is usually the point where people fail. It should go 24, 18, 12, 9, 6, 4, 3, 2.5, 2, 1.8, 1.3, 1, 0.8, 0.5, 0.3, 0.
This is still possible to do though if you get a bottle of 0 and a bottle of whatever, and then mix them to lower the concentration. Since they all cost the same to buy (but not to make) 24 & 0 can often be the best value because you can just mix a lower and lower level of 24mg with the zero. It is often claimed that the flavoring is the most expensive bit. This is not true. SOME flavorings are wildly expensive, but they’re generally not used in retail pre-mix ecig juice. Less flavoring is also used quite often than nicotine (at the higher concentrations) and nicotine is sometimes 5 times the price of the majority of wholesale flavorings (which is how industrial juice producers buy them) wholesale flavorings are often a tiny fraction of the price of the tiny vials of retail flavorings while being much larger. I bought several flavorings wholesale from flavorwest long ago in 6oz bottles (the smallest they sell) for something like $7 apiece. VG and PG are both really cheap (I get my VG at fleet farm in gallon jugs because it’s also used as a cattle laxative) and these make up the vast majority of juice by weight anyway. Salts have a much longer shelf life though so they are often all you can find in pre-mix juice. It is possible to quit with them though.

Last edited:

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
I agree with salt nicotine having a quick effect. I should probably have written bite. I find freebase nicotine gives more of a harsh feeling. I miss from smoking:

The burning sensation. I like adding a little freebase nicotine and some mint because of that.

The lightheadedness from the carbon monoxide. The quick nicotine spike from salt nic helps replicate that for me.

The taste, never found that in a juice, but coffee helps =)

Tbh, I sometimes buy a disposable (brand here's Hexa). They're a very good replacement for a cigarette to me, it even has the little "going to the gas station for a pack of smokes" thing going on, unboxing and overpriced winegums included.

Darrgoe

Nov 20, 2016
Calgary Alberta Canada
About 6 months into straight vaping, I developed an upper respiratory infection. Quit everything for about 6 weeks. I found a juice that was supposedly PG free and it worked as I didn’t experience anymore infections. Unfortunately this juice line was a bit pricey so I experimented with a juice line that used what the company claimed was made with organic PG. It was PG that was made from a vegetable source but it also was fine for me to vape. With new Canadian tax regulations, this juice became pricey and the first juice that worked for me was pulled off the market because it had PG in it. (It advertised itself as being totally VG). I found a vape shop called Cool Vape that makes their own juices. I always get max VG at 12 mg of nicotine and haven’t had a problem with any of their juices. My problem is I am sensitive to PG. I know another vaper who makes his own juice 100% VG and no flavours. Most people that have problems with vaping are sensitive to PG

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
It’s pretty hard to find flavors that don’t have pg as their base. You can usually get nic that has either a pg or VG base. I probably have a bit of pg in the juices I make because of it, but it’s usually under 10%. Frequently under 5%. (Just pg from the flavoring). VG is thicker. More honey like. It also produces bigger clouds. They actually generally use low quality VG in stage smoke machines. So they’re basically gigantic vapes.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
I agree with salt nicotine having a quick effect. I should probably have written bite. I find freebase nicotine gives more of a harsh feeling. I miss from smoking:

The burning sensation. I like adding a little freebase nicotine and some mint because of that.

The lightheadedness from the carbon monoxide. The quick nicotine spike from salt nic helps replicate that for me.

The taste, never found that in a juice, but coffee helps =)

Tbh, I sometimes buy a disposable (brand here's Hexa). They're a very good replacement for a cigarette to me, it even has the little "going to the gas station for a pack of smokes" thing going on, unboxing and overpriced winegums included.
I will occasionally buy disposables as well if I am going to be somewhere for a while but forgot my vape. They’re an expensive way to vape, but sometimes the only way.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I will occasionally buy disposables as well if I am going to be somewhere for a while but forgot my vape. They’re an expensive way to vape, but sometimes the only way.

I haven't in a while but I went through a disposables kick. You can find some interesting flavors for sure. I miss Juul cool mint though. It's a shame they had to quit making it

Users who are viewing this thread