Is it normal for nicotine vapour to burn your throat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bovril

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2014
EU
The first time i ordered a vape pen i got 3 free liquid, they had 3.6% nictotine which is 36mg right?
Anyways that was great and it didn't burn my throat. Felt like a normal cigarette but watermelon flavour.

But then all other liquids that i used were burning my throat when i exhale. IT'S KILLING MY THROAT! Same thing when i exhale from my nose, it burns my nose. Even 12mg liquids gave me this burn feel.
When i say burn i mean that kind of burn you get with menthol stuff. I don't get this 'burn' when i smoke cigrettes.
And they're not dry hits.

Last edited:

bovril

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2014
EU
Yeah, it's pretty normal. If it bothers you I guess you could try decreasing your nicotine content. My friend can't handle throat hitting any of my juices because they're far too high and they burn him.

I also tried 12mg which is little nicotine so i assume in this case this shouldnt happen?
And also can you explain how this didn't occur with the first liquid which was 36mg?

It could be the liquid or the mod you are using. More info appreciated
Im using an ego battery and pro tank 1,2,3 and MT3 atomizers. Tried many different liquid brands.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    36mg (3.6%) is way above the norm, and nicotine does produce throat hit. BUT, don't confuse throat hit with to hot or to harsh.
    To harsh normally means a high PG content, and to hot normally means to much voltage for the resistance of the coil, or not enough air flow, or dry wicks.

So what resistance are the heads in your pro tanks, and what PG/VG ratio are your liquids?

Add:
    You have that backward, you want more VG, and less PG if it is to harsh.

Last edited:

bovril

ECF Veteran
    Mar 15, 2014
    EU
    36mg (3.6%) is way above the norm, and nicotine does produce throat hit. BUT, don't confuse throat hit with to hot or to harsh.
    To harsh normally means a high PG content, and to hot normally means to much voltage for the resistance of the coil, or not enough air flow, or dry wicks.

So what resistance are the heads in your pro tanks, and what PG/VG ratio are your liquids?

I have tried 50/50 and 100% VG and same.
    Im not sure what resistance even is :/

moze229

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2011
    Central NC, USA
    You may have my problem. I cannot vape straight juices. I have to mix them with straight PG/VG at least 50/50. I will cough and get a burning sensation with most flavored juices, but not all. For some reason the flavorings just don't like me. I vaped unflavored for a while but got tired of it. I started trying flavored again but mixed my flavored with straight PG/VG and it's just right. One dropper of unflavored and one dropper of flavor of choice into my tank and I'm set. Also watch out for dry hits. This is usually due to either bad or misconfigured equipment.

Everyone is different with this stuff. It's really hard to say what might be going on.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    I have tried 50/50 and 100% VG and same.
    Im not sure what resistance even is :/

You need to sit down with someone that has been vaping a while and work this out. Very little of what you are saying makes much of any sense.
    Yes, 36mg is Strong for most people, but many also use it. 12mg is fairly light and should not bother you if you are a medium/average smoker.

I wonder if you have stressed your throat with a stronger Nic mix or flavor and now everything is going to hurt until it heals a bit. I say this because I got a Bad mix about a year ago. Never figured out what happened, but NO Vapor and instant feeling of swallowing Fire/Flame. Throat was extremely sore for several days and I could not vape anything without feeling the pain.

You have acceptable equipment and assuming you know how to use/maintain it things should be working better.

Oh, and some of the advice is off.
    PG is more abrasive
    VG is more lubricating - this is where the clouds come from.

Resistance is the coils rating - i.e. 1.8ohms, 2.2ohms, 2.5ohms etc. Lower is warmer

Zach904

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2014
    Jax, Fl
    If you have vape shops that let you sample juices where you live, that means they have those little devices to put over the drip tips so no one is swapping spit as they sample... Take your set up to them and let em take a hit. They should be able to tell you if it is just you, or something that needs to be adjusted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread