Is the current ProVari still THE Go To APV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleGreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Hammonton NJ
I don't own a Provari but from what I've read about them is that they are a very well built American made VV device. I own a Vamo and I'm very happy with it... Now lets say it lasts me 6months to a year, I'll have to buy 3 to = the cost of the Provari.. If that's the case I'll buy 3. When you close your eyes and vape you cant tell the difference. When it comes to how accurate the Provari chip set is compared to cheaper mods, I don't keep it hooked up to voltage meters and my brain doesn't say "Hey its set for 4.7v but I only feel 4.5". It's up to you if you want to spend the money. To me its a no brainer.
Simple question for those who may be in the know.

I'm impressed with the features on some of these newer competitor models like the eVic or zMax.

Should I seriously look into both the eVic and zMax when I cross shop the ProVari? Right now I'm sold on a ProVari Mini after I start working again.

kileak

Dec 30, 2012
portland or.
Quite a few suppliers here (last count around 500), many USA made. Not saying it's not a well made PV, but I keep reading comments from people vaping 2-3 months saying it's the best pv ever made. That's quite a statement.

Yeah, It's kind of like saying a Toyota Corolla is the best car ever made. Which it is of course.

kileak

Dec 30, 2012
portland or.
You can't really go wrong with a Provari if you want a vv device.

I'm not a huge fan of the one button menu system but the interface is better than the Zmax imho.

I was planning on buying a Provari until the Vamo v2 came out. Now I have my eye on an Ihybrid or similar genesis style for a high end mod. After that ... I'm done buying apvs. That's the plan anyways. Lol

The one button thing is a non issue. Once you use it a couple of times it becomes second nature to navigate the menu.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I don't own a Provari but from what I've read about them is that they are a very well built American made VV device. I own a Vamo and I'm very happy with it... Now lets say it lasts me 6months to a year, I'll have to buy 3 to = the cost of the Provari.. If that's the case I'll buy 3. When you close your eyes and vape you cant tell the difference. When it comes to how accurate the Provari chip set is compared to cheaper mods, I don't keep it hooked up to voltage meters and my brain doesn't say "Hey its set for 4.7v but I only feel 4.5". It's up to you if you want to spend the money. To me its a no brainer.

To me its a no brainer as well.I have a couple of cheap backups like a passthru 900 mah ego battery and a twist but theyve sat in my drawer unused for a few months.

With a Provari I dont have to worry about one failing me in 6 months (it could happen but the chances are unlikely).If you only plan on owning one REALLY good PV then go with the Provari.If you want a ton of cheaper unreliable pvs that can and often do fail you at any time go with something else.

Ive struggled with smoking and vaping for over 3 years and am finally off analogs completely. Im not willing to trust that to anything other than something rock-solid and reliable and thats what you get with a Provari.

Last edited:

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield

I'm kind of looking at a Buzz Pro too. I like the idea of adjusting the voltage up and down with only your taste-buds to tell you what's working for you. That is you don't know what voltage you're at without hooking up a multimeter. Takes "Some" of the fuss out of the whole process.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
There is a GREAT deal on a blue Buzz Pro in the classifieds right now! I was torn with the Evic, Provari or Buzz Pro. The Evic was out right away with the 95 deg thermal shut off (no good in KS summers!) The Buzz Pro was the same size as my LT clone, which kept falling out of my pocket because it was so big! The Provari mini really filled the bill for me.
But the Buzz Pro is built about as solid as the Provari from what most say about them!

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
My first LT was awesome and lasted till I lost it out four wheelin', surviving many falls and drops during the 9mo or so I had it. The second LT failed on it's first fall out of my pocket on the kitchen floor, it was only a week old. I had gotten it very cheap with only a DOA warranty. At that point I decided I really wanted a durable VV mod, that could be repaired if it ever did have an issue. So I ponied up for a ProVari, I have been using it now for about 3mo and it is nice, but no better than my lost first LT for performance. Build quality is much better though and that adds to the enjoyment of ownership for me.

Last week I bought a Bolt at a LVS while on vacation in Florida and the build quality is a let down, it works fine but the extension is slightly off color and does not fit smoothly to the rest of the tube.

I am tempted by the Vamo but fear it will die the first time it falls on the floor like my second LT did, and I'm just not into the false economy of by cheap three times in hopes it will last as long as spending more one time.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
I don't own a Provari but from what I've read about them is that they are a very well built American made VV device. I own a Vamo and I'm very happy with it... Now lets say it lasts me 6months to a year, I'll have to buy 3 to = the cost of the Provari.. If that's the case I'll buy 3. When you close your eyes and vape you cant tell the difference. When it comes to how accurate the Provari chip set is compared to cheaper mods, I don't keep it hooked up to voltage meters and my brain doesn't say "Hey its set for 4.7v but I only feel 4.5".

you most likely buy more then three vamo's to keep up with the provari,,

no need to keep it hooked up to a volt meter,,set it and forget it !! there is no variation

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand

Nice choice. The Vamo is very accurate too - so need need for the voltmeter. Skip up to pbsuardo on the numbers: A PBusardo Review - The Vamo - YouTube

Mountain Prophet tested it too if you're interested:
Akkuträger VAMO VV/VW Chrom (aka Telescopic VV XSTAR) » Mountain Prophet
Use Google translate on that one. That was on version 1 which had 6 watt bug - fixed in version 2.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Now, I don't own a ProVari, so this is my somewhat unbiased opinion...

I am also looking for a nice mod to use at home. (Can't be too discreet with a pipe bomb in your hand right? LoL) Being an engineer myself, I put a lot of credit in real world test results performed by third parties, and rarely take a manufacturer at their word.

With that said, I have looked at test results from several of the more popular PV's on the market today. ZMax, VAMO, Lavatube 2, Provari, eVic, and a few others... All those results point at the same thing... Provari is the only PV out there (that I have researched) that is spot on accurate in every way. Its Ohm readings match that of a Fluke DMM, and it's voltage is spot on throughout the battery life. And I mean SPOT ON. No matter what carto/clearo/atty you throw at it, it is accurate through it's entire spectrum from 2.9-6V.

Initially I was very impressed with the VW devices. I think this is a neat concept, and I would REALLY like to see ProVape release a ProVari device with this feature. Now, most of the VW devices I have seen range from I believe 3-15W of power. This is pretty good... But, due to inaccuracies, and device limitations, most of them can't achieve their advertised wattage ranges with certain low resistance attachments. The eVic seems to be a huge offender in this category, and it (Like the ZMax) had values all over the board. Not impressed at all. The Provari, however, being VV only, is still able to pump out some impressive power in excess of 15W. I think one of the reviewers was pushing it beyond 21W on a 1.4 Ohm carto! And it was firing away, all day long...

Will these other devices work? Sure they will... I mean, I like the Vamo, I really do... But when you consider everything the ProVari has going for it... It's bulletproof, inside and out. It's accurate like no other mod out there... Excellent warranty, excellent service from ProVape, Made in the USA using some of the best parts in the industry... Sure, the Vamo is only $50, but even at $200+ the ProVari is still a lot more attractive in almost every other department. Enough so that I would seriously consider buying a ProVari over the Vamo (Which, in my research seems to be the best of the budget VW mods out there right now, also very accurate, but not to ProVari standards). From what I have seen, the ProVari is the standard, an electrically overengineered marvel that is likely to never let you down... ever

So here is what I would tell you... If you want VW, go with the Vamo. If you would be happy with VV only, go with the ProVari. It's that easy

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The eVic seems to be a huge offender in this category, and it (Like the ZMax) had values all over the board.

The eVic has come in with some inaccuracies with settings as I understand it. I wouldn't really put the eVic and Zmax together anyway. The first version Zmax used AVG and the settings were off. The Zmax 2, by Smoktech or Sigelei, uses RMS and is accurate.
The VV/VW devices usually have low ohm cut offs at around 1.2ohms. They don't need low resistance anyway, but some people use LR with them. Provape recommend on their site that people don't use low resistance with Provaris either, although some vapers do.

The Zmax2 and Vamo have pretty much identical test results for accuracy. The difference in accuracy between those and the Provari is so small it doesn't matter as far as I can see. In terms of accuracy and durabilty the Sigelei Zmax is as good and has variable wattage. Both the Zmax 2 and the Vamo hold voltage under load and maintain. So does the Provari.
I've seen some Provari owners say they think the Zmax 2 is better, others that the Provari is better.

To answer the OPs question, no, I wouldn't say the Provari is still The go to APV. For just variable voltage it probably just wins out. But it isn't leaps and bounds ahead any more.
Phil Busardo said much the same thing in his review of the Sigelei Zmax:
A PBusardo Review - Sigelei Z-Max - YouTube

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand

No its not, but it was at 1.4 ohms at 6 volts, with the 18650. These devices aren't suited to low ohms like that. And they aren't recommended by Provape for the Provari either. With two 18350s the Zmax was accurate at 6 volts and 1.4 ohms:
Und sie bewegt sich doch! Zmax V2.0 RMS ist da.. » Mountain Prophet

Also on that review the Zmax at a more standard ohm, with 1x 18650 is accurate at higher voltages. Most people use the variable wattage anyway, rather than the vv on the Zmax. But it is accurate. Pushing low ohms to the 6 volt voltage limit with an 18650 won't be, granted.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Then better include that in your "accurate" spiel. "zmax2 is accurate up to 22% when used with 1.4ohm @6 volts on 18650".

These devices aren't meant for low ohms. And as I mentioned, Provape recommend against low ohms with Provaris too. It doesn't matter to me if 1.4 ohms at 6 volts with an 18650, which is the voltage limit, is accurate. The pv is being pushed past what its designed for. And the coil. With two 18350s it can be done on a Zmax, but I don't know why it would be necessary. With the power output they have 1.4 ohms isn't needed.
If some-one wants to vape quite low ohms on a Zmax or Provari, they can - but its not recommended for either pv. So I don't see it as a factor that makes one better than another.
Low ohms is for getting more watts on mods that don't put out the power needed.
I mentioned that as just variable voltage the provari probably edges into the lead. But it isn't leaps and bounds ahead. Debating an 18650 with 1.4 ohms at 6 volts isn't a bounding difference - especially if the Zmax can do it with two 18350s. I wouldn't call it a a huge advantage or a deal breaker. And the Zmax has variable wattage, which the provari doesn't have.

The Zmax is accurate. Vaping a 1.4 ohm coil at 6 volts will blow your coil. Mountain Prophet has this in the review summary on the voltages:
"We do not quite have the precision of a Provari, but almost. The difference is negligible, no more in practical use relevant." For practical purposes its accurate. On voltage the provari edges out, as I said. The Zmax has variable watts though. Both good pvs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread