is this what I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie0516

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
United States
I'm going to try rebuilding my coils and I've read tons of info on it buti want to double check to make sure I'm getting the right wire. Here are the specs. Any suggestions would be very helpful

TEMCo ID:RW0106
Alloy:Kanthal A-1
(22% Cr, 5.8% Al, Fe balance)
Gauge:30 AWG
Average wire diameter:0.01 in. (0.254 mm)
Weight & length:50 ft. (0.19 oz.)
Shape:Round
Heat treatment:Annealed (soft)
Resistance (Ohms/ft. @ room temp):8.36
Melting temperature:1500°C (2730°F)
Maximum operating temperature:1400°C (2550°F)
Density:0.256 lbs. per cubic inch
Specific heat capacity at 20°C (68°F):0.46 kJ/kg K (0.11 Btu/lb°F)

I'm also trying to stay near 1.8 ohms

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Fellow ECF member pjmarkert started a thread titled "Kanthal Coil Calculator Thread" and shared his coil calculator. It's great!

He has made a few revision to the first calculator he shared on post #1. The first revision can be found on page 5 - post #43 and and the latest is titled "Coil Calc2.xlsx" and is located on Page 9 - post #87. The latest calculator allow you to choose either Kanthal or Nichrome wire via a drop down menu.

His coil calculator really does take the guess work out building coils to a desired ohm level.

Last edited:

Cabusi

Mar 25, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Fellow ECF member pjmarkert started a thread titled "Kanthal Coil Calculator Thread" and shared his coil calculator. It's great!
...His coil calculator really does take the guess work out building coils to a desired ohm level.

No disrespect to anyone because I know there was a ton of work put into making this coil calculator. I think its a bit advanced for a beginner and could easily cause some confusion and frustration. I would recommend getting a tiny screw driver and some 28ga kanthal and start learning how to wrap coils tight and uniform. Once you got down making sweet n neat coils and you wanna be super precise then check out coil calculators.

You can pretty much use anything round to wrap coils around and some people use drill bits and large syringe needles. I like using the smallest screwdriver found in the mini screwdriver kits sold at Home Depot or Walmart for 3-4 bucks. :)

itskohler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Aventura, FL
I agree, I think coil calculators have their place for advanced users looking in to the 100th decimal place for a build. But certainly not for a new user. The biggest problem is human error. I don't care how exact your measurements of the diameter, length of coil, etc...If you can't wrap a good coil all of that goes out the window.

jamie0516

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
United States
No disrespect to anyone because I know there was a ton of work put into making this coil calculator. I think its a bit advanced for a beginner and could easily cause some confusion and frustration. I would recommend getting a tiny screw driver and some 28ga kanthal and start learning how to wrap coils tight and uniform. Once you got down making sweet n neat coils and you wanna be super precise then check out coil calculators.

You can pretty much use anything round to wrap coils around and some people use drill bits and large syringe needles. I like using the smallest screwdriver found in the mini screwdriver kits sold at Home Depot or Walmart for 3-4 bucks. :)

I haven't checked out the calculator yet but I'm definitely getting the confusion/frustration with information overload trying to learn everything vape related lol. When I think I get something I read something new and I'm lost again.

From what ive read I think I'm going to stick with 1/16th drill bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread