AZ
Kanthal A1 Wire 30 Gauge 100 ft 0 39oz Resistance Resistor AWG A 1 | eBay

Kanthal A1 wire 30 Gauge 100 FT (0.39oz) Resistance Resistor AWG A-1

Specifications
TEMCo ID: RW0107
Alloy: Kanthal A-1
(22% Cr, 5.8% Al, Fe balance)
Gauge:30 AWG
Average wire diameter: 0.01 in. (0.254 mm)
Weight & length:100 ft. (0.39 oz.)
Shape: Round
Heat treatment: Annealed (soft)
Resistance (Ohms/ft. @ room temp): 8.36
Melting temperature: 1500°C (2730°F)
Maximum operating temperature: 1400°C (2550°F)
Density: 0.256 lbs. per cubic inch
Specific heat capacity at 20°C (68°F): 0.46 kJ/kg K (0.11 Btu/lb°F)

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Those are the wires you are looking for. It might not be the gauge you are looking for, tho. That part is easier to figure out if you know what you plan to use it for. Like what resistance you are aiming for and what kind of setup you want. You probably don't want to use the same thickness for rebuilding a clearo at normal resistance as you would for i.e micro-coils or sub-ohm or any possible combination of those.

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
I just received a shipment from them, all A-1 Kanthals, round. 26, 28, and 30AWG.

When I made some coils with it, it felt a lot less springy compared to the crap I bought from my local b&m...

I bought 6 feet at local B&M for $6. I think I paid about 7-8 bucks for a 100 ft roll from Temco...

I think this is one of the many reasons why I online shop only these days!

Online shopping rules, more selection, better prices, and delivered right to your front door! The only downside is the constant obsessive tracking of packages! :p

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Those are the wires you are looking for. It might not be the gauge you are looking for, tho. That part is easier to figure out if you know what you plan to use it for. Like what resistance you are aiming for and what kind of setup you want. You probably don't want to use the same thickness for rebuilding a clearo at normal resistance as you would for i.e micro-coils or sub-ohm or any possible combination of those.

Well I already have some 28 - I wanted a spool of 30 as well because I was watching some YouTube tutorials today that called for it. Nice to have a bit of everything at these prices ;)

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Those are the wires you are looking for.
I'm a nerd, so when I read that, this popped into my head:

tumblr_mdeo27ZZjB1r6pf3eo1_500.gif

vang0gh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Plainfield, IL, USA
Well I already have some 28 - I wanted a spool of 30 as well because I was watching some YouTube tutorials today that called for it. Nice to have a bit of everything at these prices ;)

Yeah, it's fairly inexpensive stuff. I have 26, 28, 29, 30, and 32ga. Kind of nice to have an assortment of gauges to play around with in order to figure out what works best for your application. For me, 28 and 29 gauge get the most use.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I'm really hoping to get a roll of kanthal in my stocking. As far as whether or not you can use a certain kanthal, your mainly looking for the A-1 rating. Anything other than that and its probably not good for vaping as it may have metals in it that we don't like to use. As far as gauge, you can use any gauge, but thicker gauge is easier to work with and also better for making low resistance coils since there is more surface area with the thicker wire. Thinner wire is high resistance, so you wrap it around your with 3 times and your already at 2 ohms. The thicker kanthal, being lower resistance, allows you to wrap it around your wick 4-5 times or more and still be under or around 2 ohms, which gives you more surface area to vaporize juice from the wick as well. You'd think that the electricity would flow through the thinner wire more efficiently and thus provide a lower resistance, but its actually the opposite, the current flows through thicker wire more efficiently. Also one thing to remember when buying wire gauges is that the LOWER the number, the THICKER the wire, which is another paradox with rebuilding that you need to remember. 28g wire is very thick, 32g wire is very very thin. Enjoy!

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I'm really hoping to get a roll of kanthal in my stocking. As far as whether or not you can use a certain kanthal, your mainly looking for the A-1 rating. Anything other than that and its probably not good for vaping as it may have metals in it that we don't like to use. As far as gauge, you can use any gauge, but thicker gauge is easier to work with and also better for making low resistance coils since there is more surface area with the thicker wire. Thinner wire is high resistance, so you wrap it around your with 3 times and your already at 2 ohms. The thicker kanthal, being lower resistance, allows you to wrap it around your wick 4-5 times or more and still be under or around 2 ohms, which gives you more surface area to vaporize juice from the wick as well. You'd think that the electricity would flow through the thinner wire more efficiently and thus provide a lower resistance, but its actually the opposite, the current flows through thicker wire more efficiently. Also one thing to remember when buying wire gauges is that the LOWER the number, the THICKER the wire, which is another paradox with rebuilding that you need to remember. 28g wire is very thick, 32g wire is very very thin. Enjoy!

Good breakdown - thanks for the heads up on the rating.

To me it makes sense that electricity moves through thicker wire more efficiently. It's like a big straw versus a thin straw when you take sip of soda.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Yeah I see it that way now, but when I first started rebuilding, I just kept thinking of electricity as this set absolute force and the wire's "Resistance" to this force is what makes it hotter or cooler. So I figured a thin wire would heat up much more quickly, so I figured thinner wire was lower ohm. But its the opposite and I don't mind that because I HATE working with thin wire :p

But I guess electricity needs something to travel through and a thinner wire means less space to travel through, more "resistance" to being traveled through I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread