Issue with Liquid/Wicking/Not-quite-dry hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp58

Jun 3, 2014
United States
Hey guys,

The last couple of days I've been having an issue with my PV. I'm not sure what's causing the issue, but I'm getting some pretty off tasting hits. The best way I can describe them is somewhere between the flavor of the juice, BBQ sauce, and that last hit before your cotton is dry and it's time to drip again. The liquid is supposed to be a menthol/citrus flavor, and it tasted good the first day.

I've had the same, or similar builds in my Plume Veil for a while, 0.5-1 ohm either a single coil, dual coil, or a single parallel. Currently have a single parallel measuring in at 0.52. However, it's something that's only been happening with the new juice I got at our local shop because I'm waiting on some to come in. It's 80/20 vg to pg, and I cut it with pg to double the amount. The coil also looks like it's gunking up, but it's doing it a lot faster than it ever has before. I dry burned it, and I don't see any hot spots, so I don't think it's the coil. I also leave my vape below 25 watts, so I don't think I've got it cranked too high. I've turned it down to 10w, and I'm still having the issue. I only built the coil about a week ago, and I usually rebuild around 3 weeks to a month.

Am I secretly terrible at wicking? Am I taking hits too fast and it doesn't have time to catch up? Am I dancing too close to the sun with my high VG content? Or, is there something else I've done wrong? And is there a solution to my problem?

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Hey guys,

The last couple of days I've been having an issue with my PV. I'm not sure what's causing the issue, but I'm getting some pretty off tasting hits. The best way I can describe them is somewhere between the flavor of the juice, BBQ sauce, and that last hit before your cotton is dry and it's time to drip again. The liquid is supposed to be a menthol/citrus flavor, and it tasted good the first day.

I've had the same, or similar builds in my Plume Veil for a while, 0.5-1 ohm either a single coil, dual coil, or a single parallel. Currently have a single parallel measuring in at 0.52. However, it's something that's only been happening with the new juice I got at our local shop because I'm waiting on some to come in. It's 80/20 vg to pg, and I cut it with pg to double the amount. The coil also looks like it's gunking up, but it's doing it a lot faster than it ever has before. I dry burned it, and I don't see any hot spots, so I don't think it's the coil. I also leave my vape below 25 watts, so I don't think I've got it cranked too high. I've turned it down to 10w, and I'm still having the issue. I only built the coil about a week ago, and I usually rebuild around 3 weeks to a month.

Am I secretly terrible at wicking? Am I taking hits too fast and it doesn't have time to catch up? Am I dancing too close to the sun with my high VG content? Or, is there something else I've done wrong? And is there a solution to my problem?

your wicks should just slide in the coils and when your done seating them they should budge at both ends of the coil. Other than that as irritating as he is to listen to Rip Tripper has some pretty good info on youtube about this sort of thing.

jp58

Jun 3, 2014
United States
I may have just packed it too tight last time I did it. I went ahead and cleaned the atty and dry burned the coil again. I'll just try and put minimum cotton in it. The cotton I pulled out was still white, and didn't look burnt anywhere. I haven't had a problem with the bad taste before, but I've typically used a little thinner liquid before too.

ElevenEleven

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
I may have just packed it too tight last time I did it. I went ahead and cleaned the atty and dry burned the coil again. I'll just try and put minimum cotton in it. The cotton I pulled out was still white, and didn't look burnt anywhere. I haven't had a problem with the bad taste before, but I've typically used a little thinner liquid before too.

If it was still white that means it was dry. You may have already fixed your problem as I type this.

jp58

Jun 3, 2014
United States
That was definitely poor word choice on my part. When I say "white" I just meant that it wasn't burnt. I've seen other people pull cotton out of their coils that was obviously charred and burnt. Mine was soaking wet with juice. I couldn't tell if the cotton inside the coil was wet or dry, but after re-wicking it, it seems to be working okay. I'm just hoping it doesn't taste awful again in a few hours.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Since it has been a while since you posted this question, I was just wondering if you had resolved the issue and what you did. Lots of others could learn from your experience. Either way, I hope all is right in your vaping world.
good.gif

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey guys,

your new juice is probably more gunkier than what you are used to .

I usually rebuild once a week on sundays.
my coils would probably be unvapeable after 3 weeks

jp58

Jun 3, 2014
United States
Since it has been a while since you posted this question, I was just wondering if you had resolved the issue and what you did. Lots of others could learn from your experience. Either way, I hope all is right in your vaping world.

After a quick refresher on wicking, that may have been an issue. The coil wicked really well for two days. Although, I did end up with some racetrack in it after last night/today. The juice is still gunkier than I would like. But I have found a way to make it work.

A rule of thumb with cotton, less is more. If there is too much and its too packed, the cotton will not wick well

I definitely was packing the cotton too tight. I can't believe it didn't catch up to me for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread