JD Mods Stingray- CLONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
Is the Infinite Black Copper Stingray clone from CodeVape supposed to be the best of the clones? I just ordered one yesterday, either it is just a very good quality picture, or the etching quality looks much better then the other clones I've seen. I have two Nemesis clones, one from hcigar, one from Tobeco (I believe) and they are both becoming too fiddly for me with constant adjustments needed to the switch, 501 connector, tube threads bind and stick, etc. They are also very finnicky about batteries and if I switch brands I have to go through the whole production again. Is the Stingray any better in these regards?
Thanks. GT

Joka

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2014
CleVegas TN.
Clean threads, not polished or cleaned since day one. About a month old. Internally cleaned yes, but natural patina all the way =]
7yru4epe.jpg
jynesapy.jpg
forgive the dirty drip tip, and fingerprints. We haven't cleaned up since work today.

*tH@--j0]{A*

Woody_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Croatia
Hi,
I just got SS Stingray ,and I want to ask you something...

If I try to screw switch all the way ,ignition starts. I need to unscrew a few steps down to work properly. Why is that ?
It's bad this way,because when I want to screw security ring in down position to lock it, I start to unscrew the switch also (because switch isn't screw on the unit all the way)
Any ideas?

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
I'm going to guess you have a switch issue with your your stainless steel Stingray. Is this your first? The switch design isn't very intuitive. The white plastic ring and metal screw bit with 1 magnet in it should be floating (repelled magnetically) above the rest of the switch. Then when you screw it into the tube it will be holding the battery in place. The rest of the switch is floating and when you press it contacts the part against the battery and the mod fires.

I received one where the sections didn't float, they didn't even move ponderously like an elephant, they just plain didn't move at all. I completely disassembled the switch, be careful not to loose the rice pin, and worked the bottom section and the threaded brass section until they were freely moving within each other. Then I used extra fine sandpaper to polish the portions of those 2 pieces that slide inside one another. Reassembled switch and everything was fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Woody_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Croatia
There is no screwing the switch all the way, you just snug it up to prevent the battery from rattling.

What type of battery are you using and could you post a picture of the switch?

Yes,but when I snug it to prevent battery from rattling,then mod fires. Then I immediatly need to dial step or two down. And then I got loose switch,no useable,because it too loose and spins at sligthest touch/force.

Using Panny NCR18650PF.

Pictures:

37SFGwS.jpg

JyvKhsi.jpg

WBAD5yk.jpg

Woody_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Croatia
I'm going to guess you have a switch issue with your your stainless steel Stingray. Is this your first? The switch design isn't very intuitive. The white plastic ring and metal screw bit with 1 magnet in it should be floating (repelled magnetically) above the rest of the switch. Then when you screw it into the tube it will be holding the battery in place. The rest of the switch is floating and when you press it contacts the part against the battery and the mod fires.

I received one where the sections didn't float, they didn't even move ponderously like an elephant, they just plain didn't move at all. I completely disassembled the switch, be careful not to loose the rice pin, and worked the bottom section and the threaded brass section until they were freely moving within each other. Then I used extra fine sandpaper to polish the portions of those 2 pieces that slide inside one another. Reassembled switch and everything was fine.

Switch itself is ok, no problems with floating,no crunkines,its ok. Problem is I can't screw it to stay still and don't fire.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
I just got a stainless steel Stingray clone from focalecig today in the mail. Used the same Panasonic battery as you. Mine adjusted for the battery without any extremes (that is lots of threads left on switch bits) and it doesn't auto fire. It manually fires just fine. I'm stumped at any other brilliant suggestions to offer.

Just for "heck nothing else has worked" why not completely disassemble the switch and clean everything (again if you already have) and see what happens.

Woody_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Croatia
Reasembled it again,nothing wrong with the switch,no particles of any kind inside.

What I do now, is that I tighten the upper magnet as far as I can to the derlin. Now the distance between magnets are minimal. If I tighten the upper magnet more,no movement,so I just left minimal as I can.
Now switch can be screw a tinny little bit then before and maybe functional. Not so loose as it was before,but not super tight either.

Woody_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Croatia
Don't know if I understand you right...but,if I put the switch together tightly(screw upper magnet full to the derlin), there is no movement at all. Then,if I unscrew it for just a little as 45 degrees,I got movement,about 1mm or less.

Btw,don't know is it normal or not, but when I unscrew switch from base, upper magnet always get stucked on batery. (unscrewing switch from base ,upper magnet is forced to battery by magnetism,and as I
unscrewing switch,magnet also get unscrewed from derlin and stays on battery)

Last edited:

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Btw,don't know is it normal or not, but when I unscrew switch from base, upper magnet always get stucked on batery. (unscrewing switch from base ,upper magnet is forced to battery by magnetism,and as I
unscrewing switch,magnet also get unscrewed from derlin and stays on battery)
That sounds like your problem. The upper magnet faces downward so there really shouldn't be a way for the battery to stick to the magnet. Do you have the upper assembly either upside down or just miss assembled?

Woody_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Croatia
Magnets are opposing,no problem with that. But sticking to battery happens. Also,when I dissasembly switch and take only upper magnet ,he sticks to the battery, with his upper side magnetic force is very weak,but
enough to stick on battery, and when I turn magnet over, force is even stronger and stick to the battery more.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
In the first picture the contact that screws into the actual bottom is screwed all the way down and tight.
1011253_805863716104521_2470065522647615561_n.jpg

screw the battery side contact in with fingers but tight (this part does adjust if necessary for longer/shorter throw) You should be able to press on it with your finger and fell it make contact (as in second picture)
10415654_805863829437843_589501618267585417_n.jpg

The throw of the switch is adjusted by how far these two pieces are screwed together.
10395854_805867306104162_6135773370578215514_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread